October 09, 2023
2515 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2716 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Star Wars Spin-offs...wha?

More
06 Feb 2013 22:09 #143413 by Mr. White
I wasn't really warm to Ep VII coming out, but IMHO this is worse.

insidemovies.ew.com/2013/02/06/star-wars...olo-movie-boba-fett/

Han Solo, Boba, Fett, and Yoda spin-off movies? With Ep VII we at least get to see further down the saga's timeline, this feels like it's gonna be just like that expanded universe crap.

Guess I'm pretty negative about this whole venture....
The following user(s) said Thank You: bfkiller

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Feb 2013 22:12 #143414 by repoman
A Han Solo movie based on the Han Solo Adventures Triolgy? That would be AWESOME!

Sign me up.

New stories with new characters with new story lines. Hells to the yes!

More
06 Feb 2013 22:42 #143421 by Michael Barnes
I'm all in on Episode VII, but I do kind of think that the spin-offs are a bad idea. Mainly because they will have the net effect of diluting the "event" status of the next films. For nearly 20 years, there were THREE Star Wars films from which all other merchandising, content, and other material came from aside from some of the top-tier EU stuff (The Zahn books, X-Wing video games, Jedi Knight, KOTOR). If we're looking at tripling the number of SW films over the next 10 years or something, suddenly a new SW film isn't as big a deal.

And more movies means there's a greater chance to fuck it up with one really crap movie. If the Han Solo film isn't completely A-game, then it dogs the entire enterprise.

It also gets away from the fact that part of why these characters remain so timeless and compelling is that we DON'T completely know them, SW has always been at its best when it's in media res. I _never_ wanted to see Yoda fight with a lightsaber. I wondered about it. And wondering is more compelling than seeing.

ESPECIALLY when it looks that shitty.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wice

More
06 Feb 2013 22:54 #143426 by Black Barney
Disney didn't drop that kind of cash to make only 3 movies that fans want.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jpat, Msample, wadenels

More
06 Feb 2013 23:18 - 06 Feb 2013 23:23 #143431 by Sagrilarus
There's a ton of written material for all of these characters, and some of it is quite good. Any damage done to the characters has been out there in public view for decades and you don't see people whining about Han Solo's Revenge the way they do about Phantom Menace. Paradise Snare gets absolutely glowing reviews.

I'd be more interested in movie adaptations of the stuff written on either Solo trilogy than the next three installments of the "main" storyline.

S.
Last edit: 06 Feb 2013 23:23 by Sagrilarus.

More
07 Feb 2013 01:07 #143446 by SuperflyPete
You haters gon' hate.

Boba Fett and Han Solo are two of the most iconic characters in the history of film. I'd throw fat fistfuls of ten dollar bills at whomever wants to make a great film that focuses on them. Provided it's not done by Lucas, written or directed. His time is long gone.

Star Wars: Bounty Hunter was a great PS2 game. One of the best Star Wars games ever produced IMO. I'd love to see that become a movie.

I'd still rather watch a well-done Fallout film, and that series would give me wood for weeks, but this is a good runner up.

Yoda is a bad idea. Listening to some wee green cunt talk in parables due to some speech impediment or whatever isn't interesting. I'd love to see a Lando/Han/Boba movie, mostly because Billy Dee Williams is the only man I can say I have a total man-crush on, and for the aforementioned reasons.

More
07 Feb 2013 02:02 #143453 by Michael Barnes
Vader is more iconic than both of them put together.

I'm looking forward to The Nien Nunb Chronicles, The New Adventures of Lobot, Bossk & Ackbar, and of course...Whoda Man? YODA Man.
The following user(s) said Thank You: clockwirk

More
07 Feb 2013 04:02 - 07 Feb 2013 04:04 #143460 by OldHippy
I kind of agree with everyone here all at once.

But a Han Solo series has already been made, it's called Firefly.

In any case I'll wait for reviews and see the trailer. That'll decide if I want to go further but I'm willing to accept that they could be good or shit. Like any Star Wars thing. I actually like some of the spin offs. Clone Wars (CGI one) is a decent kids show and I really liked the Gendy Tartakovsky Clone Wars film. Better in fact than all the pre-quels.. which admittedly have their moments too. Emperor Palpatine does a great job, that scene when Obi Wan first lands on the cloning facility sticks in my mind, Obi Wan himself is well done... it's just that the films as a whole fail, I think the initial concept was flawed from the beginning.

I also remember playing a Boba Fett video game on... maybe a PS2, I can't recall now. I do remember liking the story though... mind you that was in the early days when any story in a video game could be passable. I bet today it wouldn't hold up.

Hell, bring on whatever they want, I can ignore the shit (I'm already doing that anyway) and watch whatever appeals to me.

I just hope episode VII isn't the Timothy Zahn plot because I already know that story-line. What happens after that may be interesting though.

I love this: Obi Wan Kenobi is wanted throughout the universe and has to hide on some desert planet so no one knows where he is and he can wait for the force to guide him. But he needs a new name so no one recognizes him... I know - Old Ben Kenobi.

"Geez, I don't know any Obi Wan Kenobi, you don't suppose Old Ben Kenobi would know" ... geez, maybe Luke. We should check it out.

People need to remember, the original series is pretty hokey at times too. They aren't perfect movies, they just tapped into the right elements at the right time.

I just watched the first one with my brother like a week ago and this line: "But I was going into Tosche Station to pick up some power converters!" had me laughing pretty fucking hard. For all the wrong reasons. In fact we laughed a lot during the whole film. It was fun, stupid, inspiring... don't get caught up in nostalgia and start thinking that this film needs to be respected and left alone. Let them turn it into the cheese ball Flash Gordon it was always supposed to be.

Sit back

and enjoy
Last edit: 07 Feb 2013 04:04 by OldHippy.

More
07 Feb 2013 04:21 - 07 Feb 2013 04:42 #143463 by Mr. White

repoman wrote: A Han Solo movie based on the Han Solo Adventures Triolgy? That would be AWESOME!

Sign me up.

Wait...what?

Han, Yoda, or Fett are not new characters nor would any adaptation of 'Han Solo Adventures' be a new story.

Sag wrote: Any damage done to the characters has been out there in public view for decades and you don't see people whining about Han Solo's Revenge the way they do about Phantom Menace.

I hardly think expanded universe novels count as 'public view' when it comes to Star Wars. Lucas always made it pretty clear that if wasn't in his movies it wasn't canon. That may have changed though.

Barnes wrote: I'm looking forward to The Nien Nunb Chronicles, The New Adventures of Lobot, Bossk & Ackbar, and of course...Whoda Man? YODA Man.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to these conversations: "My favorite Han was when he was portrayed by Shia Lebouf in Kessel Run 2: Jabba's Boogaloo, even if he was the third actor to play the role. He _nailed_ it. The definitive Han!"

JonJacob wrote: But a Han Solo series has already been made, it's called Firefly.

Right. On that note, I'm more looking forward to this 'not-Han' than anything Star Wars related:
www.slashfilm.com/sean-bean-added-to-wac...s-jupiter-ascending/
Last edit: 07 Feb 2013 04:42 by Mr. White.

More
07 Feb 2013 04:43 #143464 by metalface13
Oh man, Admiral Ackbar is my favorite! I would love an Ackbar movie!

I think Disney is kind of trying to do an Avengers format. A main "team" movie supported by individual character movies. The Star Wars plan is a bit opposite to the Avengers though. That was the character films leading up to the team movie. This is showing the series where we all know the main characters.

More
07 Feb 2013 09:44 #143476 by repoman

Jeff White wrote:

repoman wrote: A Han Solo movie based on the Han Solo Adventures Triolgy? That would be AWESOME!

Sign me up.

Wait...what?

Han, Yoda, or Fett are not new characters nor would any adaptation of 'Han Solo Adventures' be a new story.

Well duh. Of course they aren't. My point is this. I would love for the movies to break away from the original story line. i.e. The rise and fall of the Jedi and the Empire. It would just allow for so much creativity and something entirely new for whoever gets to write it.

They may feel compelled to keep a familiar character like Han or whoever but a new story would allow them to introduce many new and interesting characters. As opposed to the "lets meet every idiots father" that was the modus operendi of the prequels. Same characters in slightly modified costumes.

Yes I know all these things could turn out to be terrible. But why be pessimistic. Maybe they'll be awesome! Realistically it will probably be a few things on either end of the spectrum with most stuff in the middle. So what.

PS: The Toshi Station line! So whiny!

More
07 Feb 2013 11:32 #143477 by QPCloudy
I will do what I always do when something new like this comes out. I will try to enjoy it as much as I can for what it is on its own, and try to disassociate it from the core material as much as possible.

More
07 Feb 2013 12:57 #143479 by wice
Replied by wice on topic Re: Star Wars Spin-offs...wha?

JonJacob wrote: I love this: Obi Wan Kenobi is wanted throughout the universe and has to hide on some desert planet so no one knows where he is and he can wait for the force to guide him. But he needs a new name so no one recognizes him... I know - Old Ben Kenobi.

If we suppose that he's the only person in the galaxy with the name "Kenobi", yeah, it would be pretty stupid. But I doubt that it's the case.

I just watched the first one with my brother like a week ago and this line: "But I was going into Tosche Station to pick up some power converters!" had me laughing pretty fucking hard. For all the wrong reasons.

Luke is a whiny brat at the beginning of the film, that's the whole point. I don't see anything wrong with that.

More
07 Feb 2013 13:01 - 07 Feb 2013 13:02 #143480 by OldHippy

wice wrote:

JonJacob wrote: I love this: Obi Wan Kenobi is wanted throughout the universe and has to hide on some desert planet so no one knows where he is and he can wait for the force to guide him. But he needs a new name so no one recognizes him... I know - Old Ben Kenobi.

If we suppose that he's the only person in the galaxy with the name "Kenobi", yeah, it would be pretty stupid. But I doubt that it's the case.

I just watched the first one with my brother like a week ago and this line: "But I was going into Tosche Station to pick up some power converters!" had me laughing pretty fucking hard. For all the wrong reasons.

Luke is a whiny brat at the beginning of the film, that's the whole point. I don't see anything wrong with that.

You really think that the empire wouldn't know his name is Ben? Why wouldn't he change the last name? It's a simple thing for a Jedi to do and much safer. I don't know... and I realize Luke is supposed to be whiny but it's not just whiny, it's bad acting.

Those two parts just made me laugh last week, they were legitimately funny moments: "do you think they could mean old Ben Kenobi" ... yeah I fuckin do Luke, at least check it out.

Look, I still like the films I just think they are sillier then people give them credit for, that's all.
Last edit: 07 Feb 2013 13:02 by OldHippy.

More
07 Feb 2013 13:05 #143481 by Sagrilarus

wice wrote:

Obi-Wan is the Kenobi with the huge green blip on the Force Detector. His brother Karl, not so much.

S.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Almalik, OldHippy

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.216 seconds