October 09, 2023
2521 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2723 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Star Wars Spin-offs...wha?

More
07 Feb 2013 09:44 #143476 by repoman

Jeff White wrote:

repoman wrote: A Han Solo movie based on the Han Solo Adventures Triolgy? That would be AWESOME!

Sign me up.

New stories with new characters with new story lines. Hells to the yes!

Wait...what?

Han, Yoda, or Fett are not new characters nor would any adaptation of 'Han Solo Adventures' be a new story.

Well duh. Of course they aren't. My point is this. I would love for the movies to break away from the original story line. i.e. The rise and fall of the Jedi and the Empire. It would just allow for so much creativity and something entirely new for whoever gets to write it.

They may feel compelled to keep a familiar character like Han or whoever but a new story would allow them to introduce many new and interesting characters. As opposed to the "lets meet every idiots father" that was the modus operendi of the prequels. Same characters in slightly modified costumes.

Yes I know all these things could turn out to be terrible. But why be pessimistic. Maybe they'll be awesome! Realistically it will probably be a few things on either end of the spectrum with most stuff in the middle. So what.

PS: The Toshi Station line! So whiny!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Feb 2013 11:32 #143477 by QPCloudy
I will do what I always do when something new like this comes out. I will try to enjoy it as much as I can for what it is on its own, and try to disassociate it from the core material as much as possible.

More
07 Feb 2013 12:57 #143479 by wice
Replied by wice on topic Re: Star Wars Spin-offs...wha?

JonJacob wrote: I love this: Obi Wan Kenobi is wanted throughout the universe and has to hide on some desert planet so no one knows where he is and he can wait for the force to guide him. But he needs a new name so no one recognizes him... I know - Old Ben Kenobi.

If we suppose that he's the only person in the galaxy with the name "Kenobi", yeah, it would be pretty stupid. But I doubt that it's the case.

I just watched the first one with my brother like a week ago and this line: "But I was going into Tosche Station to pick up some power converters!" had me laughing pretty fucking hard. For all the wrong reasons.

Luke is a whiny brat at the beginning of the film, that's the whole point. I don't see anything wrong with that.

More
07 Feb 2013 13:01 - 07 Feb 2013 13:02 #143480 by OldHippy

wice wrote:

JonJacob wrote: I love this: Obi Wan Kenobi is wanted throughout the universe and has to hide on some desert planet so no one knows where he is and he can wait for the force to guide him. But he needs a new name so no one recognizes him... I know - Old Ben Kenobi.

If we suppose that he's the only person in the galaxy with the name "Kenobi", yeah, it would be pretty stupid. But I doubt that it's the case.

I just watched the first one with my brother like a week ago and this line: "But I was going into Tosche Station to pick up some power converters!" had me laughing pretty fucking hard. For all the wrong reasons.

Luke is a whiny brat at the beginning of the film, that's the whole point. I don't see anything wrong with that.

You really think that the empire wouldn't know his name is Ben? Why wouldn't he change the last name? It's a simple thing for a Jedi to do and much safer. I don't know... and I realize Luke is supposed to be whiny but it's not just whiny, it's bad acting.

Those two parts just made me laugh last week, they were legitimately funny moments: "do you think they could mean old Ben Kenobi" ... yeah I fuckin do Luke, at least check it out.

Look, I still like the films I just think they are sillier then people give them credit for, that's all.
Last edit: 07 Feb 2013 13:02 by OldHippy.

More
07 Feb 2013 13:05 #143481 by Sagrilarus

wice wrote:

Obi-Wan is the Kenobi with the huge green blip on the Force Detector. His brother Karl, not so much.

S.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Almalik, OldHippy

More
07 Feb 2013 13:17 - 07 Feb 2013 13:21 #143482 by OldHippy

Sagrilarus wrote: Obi-Wan is the Kenobi with the huge green blip on the Force Detector. His brother Karl, not so much.

S.

Maybe I'm just really tired after a long night shift but I just bust a gut reading that. "Not so much" oh man, great!

Perhaps one of the spin offs will be about Old Karl Kenobi. I'd watch that.
Last edit: 07 Feb 2013 13:21 by OldHippy.

More
07 Feb 2013 13:25 #143483 by wice

JonJacob wrote: You really think that the empire wouldn't know his name is Ben? Why wouldn't he change the last name? It's a simple thing for a Jedi to do and much safer. I don't know... and I realize Luke is supposed to be whiny but it's not just whiny, it's bad acting.

If you assume that the Empire would know that he changed his name to Ben, then why do you think they wouldn't know that he changed it to Ben Whateverrandomname, instead of Ben Kenobi? I don't understand your logic. If you have an at least moderately common last name, you can easily change the first, and remain unnoticed. The galaxy is big, and Tatooine is a fairly insignificant planet, where nobody would look for him. Well, at least it was in the original trilogy, before Lucas, in his infinite wisdom, chose to turn it into the home planet of Darth Fucking Vader, but that's another story.

You may be right about the bad acting, I'm not a native English speaker, so for me it's much harder to tell whether an English speaking actor is good or bad.

More
07 Feb 2013 13:34 #143484 by wice
Anyway, I would be perfectly happy with a Han Solo spin-off, but I just can't see how anyone could play him after Harrison Ford. I mean, he's obviously not the best actor in the world, to say the least, but his face, his voice, and his mannerism (like that trademarked smirk) is what defines the character.

Yeah, I have a man-crush on the young Harrison Ford. If that makes me gay, so be it.

More
07 Feb 2013 13:41 #143485 by OldHippy

wice wrote:

JonJacob wrote: You really think that the empire wouldn't know his name is Ben? Why wouldn't he change the last name? It's a simple thing for a Jedi to do and much safer. I don't know... and I realize Luke is supposed to be whiny but it's not just whiny, it's bad acting.

If you assume that the Empire would know that he changed his name to Ben, then why do you think they wouldn't know that he changed it to Ben Whateverrandomname, instead of Ben Kenobi? I don't understand your logic. If you have an at least moderately common last name, you can easily change the first, and remain unnoticed. The galaxy is big, and Tatooine is a fairly insignificant planet, where nobody would look for him. Well, at least it was in the original trilogy, before Lucas, in his infinite wisdom, chose to turn it into the home planet of Darth Fucking Vader, but that's another story.

You may be right about the bad acting, I'm not a native English speaker, so for me it's much harder to tell whether an English speaking actor is good or bad.

I can't believe I'm even engaging you in this, it's so embarrassing in so many ways to have a Star Wars debate on line. But it's late and I'm tired so what the hell.

Darth Vader and Obi Wan Kenobi were very close... that is made clear in the OT (I'm willing to forget the prequels) do you really think he wouldn't be on the look out for anyone named Kenobi? Ben or otherwise? He wouldn't even have to investigate very closely he can detect people powerful in the force from orbit.

It wasn't just the Kenobi bit from the empires side of things that made me laugh.. it was Lukes reaction to the news from the droids and the way he said it: "Do you think they could mean old Ben Kenobi?". I mean... he seemed to guess at it pretty quick. He didn't act like it was a common name but who knows. I may be the only one laughing on this site but my brother and I had a good time laughing it up that night.

This is all part of the charm for me though. Keep that in mind.

More
07 Feb 2013 13:43 #143486 by repoman

wice wrote: Anyway, I would be perfectly happy with a Han Solo spin-off, but I just can't see how anyone could play him after Harrison Ford. I mean, he's obviously not the best actor in the world, to say the least, but his face, his voice, and his mannerism (like that trademarked smirk) is what defines the character.

Yeah, I have a man-crush on the young Harrison Ford. If that makes me gay, so be it.

Think of it in the terms of James Bond. People had a hard time seeing anybody play that role after Sean Connery but many have to varying degrees of success.

And a young Han Solo/Indiana Jones...women wanted him and men wanted to be him.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.622 seconds