October 09, 2023
2520 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2721 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Clone Wars

More
09 Jun 2014 10:26 #180006 by Green Lantern
Replied by Green Lantern on topic Re: Clone Wars
Doesn't the technology for underwater welding exist today? With that possible I don't see why you are hung up on lightsabers and blasters working in water.

I had an utterly opposite reaction when Chewbacca made an appearance in the series and totally geeked out. Even if he'd just made a two second cameo I'd have loved it but he stuck around and had a major impact on that arc, and got to show fans that wookies are indeed strong enough to pull limbs from sockets.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jun 2014 11:49 #180019 by edulis
Replied by edulis on topic Re: Clone Wars
Just started season three, not liking it as much as season 1 & 2 yet, but still enjoyin it. One of the things that annoys me is that Darth Vader does not recognize C3PO and R2D2 in the orginal triliogy- I thought it was stupid in the prequeles that Annikan made C3PO and it's even worse that R2D2 is he's droid... maybe he gets hit in the head or something and forgets his beloved droid.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
09 Jun 2014 12:09 #180023 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Re: Clone Wars

edulis wrote: Just started season three, not liking it as much as season 1 & 2 yet, but still enjoyin it. One of the things that annoys me is that Darth Vader does not recognize C3PO and R2D2 in the orginal triliogy- I thought it was stupid in the prequeles that Annikan made C3PO and it's even worse that R2D2 is he's droid... maybe he gets hit in the head or something and forgets his beloved droid.

Add it to the list of Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot issues with the prequel storyline.

More
09 Jun 2014 12:23 #180025 by Gregarius
Replied by Gregarius on topic Re: Clone Wars

Green Lantern wrote: Doesn't the technology for underwater welding exist today? With that possible I don't see why you are hung up on lightsabers and blasters working in water.

I admit it's a pretty dumb thing to have bug me. But to clarify, it's not so much that they work underwater (we've seen them work in the vacuum of space), but that they don't create a huge cloud of steam and bubbles. We've seen them melt through 8-inch thick steel doors, but they don't boil water?

More
09 Jun 2014 12:40 #180028 by Joebot
Replied by Joebot on topic Re: Clone Wars

Gregarius wrote: I admit it's a pretty dumb thing to have bug me. But to clarify, it's not so much that they work underwater (we've seen them work in the vacuum of space), but that they don't create a huge cloud of steam and bubbles. We've seen them melt through 8-inch thick steel doors, but they don't boil water?

I was annoyed by a slightly different issue with the underwater stuff. The humans had to wear masks and oxygen tanks of course, and they were able to talk to each other, presumably through some communicator device. No problem. But then Ackbar and the other Calamarians could breath underwater, so they didn't wear masks. And yet, they spoke clearly, and everyone else could hear and understand them perfectly. How does THAT work?? I know it's a silly thing to get hung up on, but at least TRY to come up with something plausible??

As for the cameos, they bug me too. In this galaxy of bajillions of sentient beings, there are, like, twelve people responsible for every major event? It makes everything feel SMALL. With Darth Maul, it was fine, because they were telling a story ABOUT Darth Maul, and his vegenance on Obi-Wan. But Chewbacca, Tarkin, Ackbar, etc. are different. The stories aren't about those characters. They're just there to be cute little inside jokes.

"Savage Oppress" = Worst Star Wars character name ever? Discuss.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius

More
09 Jun 2014 13:33 #180030 by Green Lantern
Replied by Green Lantern on topic Re: Clone Wars

Gregarius wrote:

Green Lantern wrote: Doesn't the technology for underwater welding exist today? With that possible I don't see why you are hung up on lightsabers and blasters working in water.

I admit it's a pretty dumb thing to have bug me. But to clarify, it's not so much that they work underwater (we've seen them work in the vacuum of space), but that they don't create a huge cloud of steam and bubbles. We've seen them melt through 8-inch thick steel doors, but they don't boil water?

Ah, well I get that. In fact I had the same thought but chalked it up to an effect that would have proven distracting and expensive.

More
09 Jun 2014 13:51 #180034 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Re: Clone Wars

Gregarius wrote: Seeing Captain Tarkin was kinda fun. They made him a bit of a jerk, but didn't really oversell it, I thought. Captain Ackbar was totally unnecessary, but only mildly irritating. But when Chewbacca showed up, I couldn't take it. Yes, I know, he's in Episode III or whatever, but that was a mistake, too. He totally pulled me out of the story. He looked terrible, too. I know Darth Maul will be making an appearance at some point, but that doesn't bother me. At least he seems integral to the story they're telling.

I could see how this could be irritating. Darth Maul's introduction is far better.

More
09 Jun 2014 13:58 #180035 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Re: Clone Wars
How hard is it to just write up new characters? I don't know why they feel they HAVE to use OT characters like it's the best idea ever to show these people while they were still Muppet Babies.

If they do it, it should only be for pure fun, like showing Admiral Motti in an elementary school cafeteria and some force-sensitive kid making his apple juice box fire up his nose or something. That would be awesome.

More
09 Jun 2014 14:22 #180038 by Gregarius
Replied by Gregarius on topic Re: Clone Wars
Talking underwater bothered me, too. I just figured they had speakers on the outside of their helmets or something. Really, there are so many things about the underwater world that don't make any sense.

Joebot wrote: As for the cameos, they bug me too. In this galaxy of bajillions of sentient beings, there are, like, twelve people responsible for every major event? It makes everything feel SMALL.

Exactly!

More
15 Jun 2014 23:03 - 15 Jun 2014 23:08 #180565 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Re: Clone Wars
I am finishing up the series on Netflix with season 6. It's not bad, it ties up some cool loose ends (e.g. Order 66) and it has Anakin clearly moving toward the dark side. But it is a real disappointment after the spectacular ending to season 5. The way it ended with Ahsoka was a mic dropping ending to the series.

I would seriously love to have a Star Wars movie about Ahsoka during the original trilogy years. Which is completely possible now that they're making spin off/stand alone movies. She might be my favorite non-Han Solo Star Wars character now---she has a great middle ground between Luke's goody two shoes bullshit and Anakin's over-mopey angry shit.
Last edit: 15 Jun 2014 23:08 by Gary Sax.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.412 seconds