October 09, 2023
2522 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2723 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Game of Thrones premier on HBO

More
18 Apr 2011 18:48 #94688 by Chapel
Well, I'm reading the book for the first time now, But I'll probably watch it while I read it. Got the BT warmed up.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Apr 2011 20:08 #94695 by Mr Skeletor
It was excellent. No real complaints, it was a bit over edited (to be expected when you are fitting 96 pages into 60 mins) and the Wedding scene looked a bit silly (extras were too clean cut - and an orgy with your pants on? WTF). The 'new' scenes were universally great and show that the writers know what they are doing. The Imp's introduction here was much better than in the book.
I was surprised there was so little Arya.

Apparently ratings weren't that crash hot. Hopefully that doesn't impact the season 2 budget.

More
19 Apr 2011 08:04 #94716 by southernman
Mr Skeletor wrote:

Apparently ratings weren't that crash hot. Hopefully that doesn't impact the season 2 budget.

Shit I'd be worried about that - so many shows in the US in the last few years that get a reasonable following and then get axed because they didn't hit the 'required' numbers, most recent was Flash Forward last year that got axed after one season right on the end of season climax. Carnivale was another and Deadwood to a lesser extent.
I'm going to have to steal it off the web as it's on Sky over here and they're in a pissing contest with my cable provider Virgin (who provides Sky channels to its customers), and their latest shot has been to create a new channel (that Virgin doesn't pay for) and move all their top/new programs over to that. So I've had to track down shows like Boardwalk Empire and Blue Bloods online.

More
19 Apr 2011 08:41 #94720 by Dair
Mr Skeletor wrote:

The Imp's introduction here was much better than in the book.

I didn't like it nearly as well. I thought this was just HBO finding ways to shoehorn naked chicks into the story. Luckily for me, the positive of the naked chicks balanced out the negative of the story change :)

More
19 Apr 2011 09:36 #94731 by jay718
wdgrant wrote:

Mr Skeletor wrote:

I didn't like it nearly as well. I thought this was just HBO finding ways to shoehorn naked chicks into the story. Luckily for me, the positive of the naked chicks balanced out the negative of the story change :)

Yeah, that might have bit just a tad gratuitous.

More
19 Apr 2011 09:54 #94733 by Columbob
wdgrant wrote:

Mr Skeletor wrote:

But it's totally in character for Tyrion, so not a problem.

More
19 Apr 2011 12:14 #94749 by robartin
I've read the first 2ish books and was pretty stoked about the show.

Honestly I thought it was kinda bland. It was missing almost all the pop and sizzle of the books. Can't fault the casting or the acting, they did pretty well there. The delivery just seemed a bit...uninspired.

Maybe with a couple more episodes, they'll hit the mark. For now, I don't see a whole lot to grab and hold and people's attention.

More
19 Apr 2011 12:20 #94751 by Jackwraith
I thought it was well done, especially given the complexity of the story. I like all of the casting, but a few were just brilliant.

Dinklage as Tyrion was great. His intro in the whorehouse is fine. It takes a big chunk of the first book to spell out a lot of his background, including flashbacks. Doing it this way brings everyone up to speed and sets the stage for his journey to the wall.

Maisie Williams is a real find. It took me a long time to warm to Arya in the books, as much of her material seemed to be Arya's Super-Extended Whine About How Life is Unfair. But she really took off in Storm and became one of my favorites in Feast. Maisie gets the character down cold in a couple of glances.

But the one who really nailed his role is Harry Lloyd. He IS Viserys. I think Headey as Cersei is fine. Cersei comments more than once in the books that she feels like she's losing her looks and is not the finest dame of the realms as she was before Robert. Her appearance here is appropriate, IMO.

They admitted that they raised the ages for the purpose of getting better performances out of the actors. In Clarke's case, she turned 18 during the shoot, so they actually waited to do her nude scenes until the last few days. Obviously, she's not the waifish 13-year-old of the books, as she has an ass and it follows her everywhere, but I think she looks fine and played the role well.

That beach in Malta with the rock formation in the background that they used for the wedding scene has been in a dozen other movies. I chuckle about that every time I see it.

I was kind of wondering about the scene between Cersei and Jaime. I wonder why they chose to do it in a half-ruined tower rather than the bedroom from the book? They established that everyone else was leaving Winterfell. It just struck me as odd that Cersei would be willing to be taken in a storeroom and from behind, no less. The Dothraki scenes emphasized their custom of mounting women like horses, so that explains the Dany scenes (as it was in the book), but then to switch over to the Queen of Westeros getting mounted? Were they trying to imply something there?

More
19 Apr 2011 13:08 #94753 by Chapel
Well if nothing else, season #2 Clash of Kings has been renewed . :)

More
19 Apr 2011 14:17 #94755 by Columbob
Jackwraith wrote:

I was kind of wondering about the scene between Cersei and Jaime. I wonder why they chose to do it in a half-ruined tower rather than the bedroom from the book?

The scene in the book does take place in the ruined tower, that's the one Bran likes to climb so much.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds