October 09, 2023
2583 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2780 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Prometheus trailer

More
08 Jun 2012 09:02 - 08 Jun 2012 09:03 #127626 by DukeofChutney
i could probably write a short essay on why Prometheus is balls. Its the clone wars of the Alien movies

A complete mess of a film. Having said this some my friends liked it, though the reason they give is the philosophy in the film, which struck me as being one of the most shallow parts of the picture.

Snow White and the Huntsmen is better
Last edit: 08 Jun 2012 09:03 by DukeofChutney.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jun 2012 11:07 #127628 by bomber
Replied by bomber on topic Re: Prometheus trailer
it really is awful, its so obvious he just had an idea to go with the jockey backstory, but tried to make something all meaningful, failing miserably, nonsensical plot and characters, and trying in places to be a bit like Kubrick (and failing in the worst way possible). This film was complete and utter balls. Don't waste your money on it Barney.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
08 Jun 2012 12:02 - 08 Jun 2012 12:13 #127634 by Josh Look
Replied by Josh Look on topic Re: Prometheus trailer
I don't think it's a bad movie, but I'm not quite willing to call it a good one either. It does have some really enjoyable parts, but it is damn messy.

As it turns out, 30 minutes of it was cut. While I don't think it will solve some of the fundamental problems people seem to be having with it, there are some glaring holes that might be filled by those 30 minutes. Remember, Blade Runner and, to a lesser known extent, Kingdom of Heaven, both by Scott, got mangled by the studio before release and both were met with mixed reactions. Both of those films in their extended/director's cuts are a _HUGE_ step above what they were in the theaters.

Also, space jockey was cooler as a mystery. Even a better story about it would still have me saying the same thing.

On the positive side, it's so far removed from what Alien was that it doesn't really tarnish it.
Last edit: 08 Jun 2012 12:13 by Josh Look.

More
08 Jun 2012 12:39 #127637 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Re: Prometheus trailer
I'm trying to decide how someone with Ridley Scott's resume can go so far off the rails. Is it just that times have changed and the stuff he's good at won't sell anymore? Is this a brooding, heavy film like Alien and Blade Runner, or did he go for Cameron's shoot-now-ask-questions-later schtick?

S.

More
08 Jun 2012 14:20 - 08 Jun 2012 14:20 #127657 by luckyb0y
Replied by luckyb0y on topic Re: Prometheus trailer

Josh Look wrote: Also, space jockey was cooler as a mystery. Even a better story about it would still have me saying the same thing.

This is spot on. Whatever you could imagine was way better than the lame story they came up with. It was mysterious and therefore interesting. I guess they didn't want to upset fans so they went with the most obvious back-story (it has a slight interesting twist that remains unexplored - in a sequel perhaps?).

I doubt that the cut 30 minutes would save this film. Haven't watched Kingdom of Heaven but Blade Runner theatrical cut isn't that bad. Sure the voice-over and happy ending aren't great, but they hardly ruin the film. They are more of an annoyance. Prometheus is full of minor niggles that don't even matter because the whole thing is a mess.

It's not all out action film, but there are some action scenes that are completely pointless. It's such a shame cause you can see it had potential to be something better, something important. As it looks now it is a mediocre SF blockbuster that isn't mind-bogglingly stupid CGI fest. But it's just not enough.
Last edit: 08 Jun 2012 14:20 by luckyb0y.

More
08 Jun 2012 16:05 #127676 by Fallen
Replied by Fallen on topic Re: Prometheus trailer
You guys are seriously breaking my heart. It's my Birthday next weekend and watching this on tomorrow with the bride is going to be my gift.... I even lined up a sitter for the wee snot sprite. I hope that Agent Provocateur package comes in on time to cheer my ass up.

More
08 Jun 2012 18:55 #127694 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Re: Prometheus trailer
The NY Times review of Prometheus is all lovey-dovey until the final paragraph. Based on it alone I'd see it for the spectacle and the characters.

S.

More
08 Jun 2012 19:44 #127695 by luckyb0y
Replied by luckyb0y on topic Re: Prometheus trailer
By all means go and see it. I think it was bad, but I'm still going on about it so I guess it was worth a few quid.

More
08 Jun 2012 21:12 #127701 by wadenels
Replied by wadenels on topic Re: Prometheus trailer

Sagrilarus wrote: The NY Times review of Prometheus is all lovey-dovey until the final paragraph. Based on it alone I'd see it for the spectacle and the characters.

S.

I haven't read anything about Prometheus other than this thread, and I'm not going to. I don't care if everyone says it's shit, I'm going to go see it because I love the Alien movies and universe.

Side note: Why all the praise for Ridley Scott? He's good, but not great. I hope to be pleased with Prometheus, but at what point did we expect his movies to be instant classics?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Space Ghost

More
08 Jun 2012 21:50 - 09 Jun 2012 01:59 #127704 by mikecl
Replied by mikecl on topic Re: Prometheus trailer
Well that's disappointing but Flixter is giving it a meta rating of 74 percent based on 190 critic reviews and 87 percent of those who went, liked it.

My expectations have been lowered because F:ATties are definitely a more discerning lot but the chatter here is still not enough to put me off.

That and the fact most of you guys liked John Carter which I thought sucked.

I'm busy this weekend though so likely won't get to see it until next weekend. I fear you may be right, but hope you're wrong!!
Last edit: 09 Jun 2012 01:59 by mikecl.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Fallen

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds