October 09, 2023
2790 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2936 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Prometheus trailer

More
28 Dec 2011 13:11 #111469 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Re: Prometheus trailer
Where Scott really shines is in his photography. Thelma & Louise is a great big pile of meandering plot that could be subtitled "women can be stupid too." But the film was worth the price of admission for the tanker explosion alone. I'm not talking action, I'm talking simple beauty. It was completely unrealistic, but it was positively beautiful on the big screen and I have no doubt suffers on the small. I saw it in the theater 20 years ago and I still have a specific memory of how impressive that particular scene looked when it was thirty feet wide.

Alien was largely the same, as was Blade Runner. Granted their "pre-Raiders" pacing looks dated but from an eye-candy perspective they're still impressive films. I'm not talking explosions and car chases, I'm talking still lifes and grand vistas. Though grayer than Thelma & Louise, they're visually impressive. That's Scott's wheel-house. His photographic instincts are excellent and I think he'd have done well to be born 20 years earlier than he was.

Prometheus' trailer looks interesting visually. It's showing a very different place than the rock in Alien, and I'm hoping that's the direction he goes. If it turns out to be a bug hunt it's going to suck. Hire Cameron for the bug hunts. Close-in shots, claustrophic angles, Cameron is the Jack Dempsey of film. Scott is more of a Vermeer kind of guy.

S.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Dec 2011 14:18 - 28 Dec 2011 14:21 #111471 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Re: Prometheus trailer

Space Ghost wrote: I liked the movies too -- so I am with you Pete; although, that is interesting about Black Rain and Sean Connery since he wasn't in it.

HA! Yes, Scissors, Rising Sun. Black Rain...that was the one with Andy Garcia and Mike Douglas. I really like Andy Garcia, and the look of the film was pretty dark and forboding, but the movie was dookey. But, that's the writer's fault, and I'm pretty hard on cop movies in general. Last good cop flick I saw was "Twisted" with Andy Garcia and that Judd chick. Ashley? I can never remember.

And I'm with you, Sag. The man is genius when it comes to cinematography. Kingdom of Heaven was spectacular. I think between that and Bladerunner, he was on lock as the best ever.
Last edit: 28 Dec 2011 14:21 by SuperflyPete.

More
28 Dec 2011 15:41 - 28 Dec 2011 15:42 #111479 by ZMan
Replied by ZMan on topic Re: Prometheus trailer
Thank, you, Scissors for the Drexl scene. True Romance is an underrated classic. This scene and the one between Walken and Hopper are amazing cinematic moments. The dialogue in this movie outshines many a film.

I am a Ridley Scott fan in that he has done some great stuff. But I do not think there is a director that has done 5+ movies that has a 100% track record (or even close to that - I guess no one can have a 100% record). At least none that comes to mind except perhaps Spielberg comes the closest. I'd say Woody Allen but I'd only count his early pre-Annie Hall movies (and Interiors if that was before Annie Hall).

Blade Runner: funny thing, I saw it in the theaters and was disappointed by it. Then I saw it in college, on a tv screen and loved it. Before any director cut or alternate voice over version, etc.

Gladiator: you know, I heard all the praise for this and I like the film, but only just. Not sure why. Arena scenes are good. Oliver Reed delivers great lines. I had no problem with Joaquin Phoenix as the emperor and he scared me cause you didn't know what he was going to do (but ended up being restrained - they should have let him do crazier stuff). But overall there is something that says this is ok, not great.

Alien/Aliens: loved the first, absolutely loved the second. Yeah it was Cameron who did the second. But the first was scary. Remember, Alien came out when there wasn't a lot of this gory horror stuff coming out. You had Jaws a few years before. Maybe some low budget gory stuff, but Alien had some great, scary moments.

Black Rain: I like this one.

Thelma and Louise: never saw this film complete and I need to rectify that.

Black Hawk Down: good film.

Legend: Oh boy this could have been the fantasy movie all would need to look up to, especially with Curry's makeup - which is the only and best thing in the film. Curry's lines were delivered well, too. The rest of the film....so disappointing.

Kingdom of Heaven - didn't resonate with me.

Others I didn't see or don't remember well.
Last edit: 28 Dec 2011 15:42 by ZMan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
29 Dec 2011 01:02 #111534 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Re: Prometheus trailer
I have an odd complaint about Gladiator. The arena action scenes are all so perfectly choreographed that they look fake as hell. Even the animals hit their marks with machine-like precision, and that's so unreal that it knocks me out of the movie repeatedly. It's like a great pair of silicon implants, I can admire the visual perfection but otherwise remain unimpressed with the overall effect.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Fallen

More
28 Feb 2012 22:58 #117953 by Disgustipater
A little bit of viral marketing at TED by Ridley Scott:

blog.ted.com/TED2023/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Notahandle, jeb

More
28 Feb 2012 23:15 #117954 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Re: Prometheus trailer

Disgustipater wrote: A little bit of viral marketing at TED by Ridley Scott:

blog.ted.com/TED2023/

Wow, that was WAY better than Crapuchettes' speech.

S.

More
28 Feb 2012 23:59 #117957 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Re: Prometheus trailer
I'm with you, Zev...the man is as close to Spielberg as I've seen. I have pretty eclectic tastes in films, so I like a lot of stuff...but he's pretty amazing. And Gladiator is one of my "will always own a copy" films, like Pulp Fiction and Aliens.

I agree with Shellhead...a little too choreographed. If you could mashup 300 with Gladiator, it would be the best ever. They tried with Spartacus: Blood and Sand but didn't hit the mark, although the collateral TnA made up for a lot.

More
29 Feb 2012 01:48 #117958 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Re: Prometheus trailer
Prometheus is one of the only 2-3 movies this year that I'm looking forward to. I really hope it's as amazing as I am hoping it will be.

More
18 Mar 2012 20:47 - 18 Mar 2012 21:12 #119660 by Disgustipater
A new full trailer for Prometheus has been released. There seems to be a pretty big spoiler revealed. If not a spoiler, then a basic description of the entire plot. Hopefully it's not as major a point as it seems to be.

Here's the UK one, which is a bit less action-packed:

Last edit: 18 Mar 2012 21:12 by Disgustipater.

More
18 Mar 2012 23:06 - 18 Mar 2012 23:13 #119667 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Re: Prometheus trailer
/before watching new trailers...

Prometheus is the movie I'm most looking forward to this year. Dark Knight Rises is a close 2nd and Hobbit is a VERY distant 3rd (I might not even see it)

now I'll watch these new trailers and let you know what I think now...

yep, still my most anticipated movie. What's the spoiler? We knew it was a prequel to Alien already, no?

I don't like the Stargate meets Avatar feel of that trailer but because it,s Ridley Scott, I know he won't go EITHER of those routes. I can't wait. Thanks for posting the new trailers!
Last edit: 18 Mar 2012 23:13 by Black Barney.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.206 seconds