October 09, 2023
2790 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2937 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Prometheus trailer

More
26 Mar 2012 20:03 - 26 Mar 2012 20:12 #120679 by wolvendancer
Replied by wolvendancer on topic Re: Prometheus trailer
Thanks for being honest re: Aliens, BB. I think accusing A3 of trying to be Alien is not at all accurate. Alien is a horror movie. Aliens is an action movie. Alien 3 is a personal drama.

Fincher is an excellent director, by the way. Se7en and The Social Network both prove that.

We can certainly agree, though, that Alien: 4 is trash. By all accounts Jeunet (another wonderful director) never understood the movies and never really took directing it seriously.
Last edit: 26 Mar 2012 20:12 by wolvendancer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Notahandle, Black Barney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Mar 2012 20:08 #120680 by Disgustipater
FINCHER

Also, he made a different movie than the one originally released. For example, the alien gestating in an ox, rather than a dog.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wolvendancer

More
26 Mar 2012 20:29 #120685 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Re: Prometheus trailer
I also liked Alien 3. Quite a bit, actually.

However, for Barney...

(RT ratings)

Alien - 96%: Barney likes
Aliens - 100%: Barney likes
Alien 3 - 39%: Barney doesn't like (nor can get the director right)

I was thinking that following all of Barney's posts with RT ratings would be fun, but I'm already bored. The upside is that instead of having to go to other sites to see what the critics say, Barney's already done that leg work, I'll just be tipped by the movies he 'likes' and 'doesn't like'.

:)

More
26 Mar 2012 21:26 - 26 Mar 2012 22:20 #120696 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Re: Prometheus trailer
dude, you're a fucking moron if you think the reason Aliens is my favourite movie of all time or Alien is the best horror/suspense of all time has ANYTHING TO DO with Rottentomatoes. Or Alien 3 for that matter. I saw all three of those before al Gore invented the internet and with it, rottentomatoes.

wolvendancer, you're right that Fisher (hehe) has proven he can make good movies AFTER that one. But I really dislike Alien 3. I definately think he was trying to go back to the one monster formula of Alien and picking them off one at a time but he was trying to make interesting characters.

I don't think the ox versus dog thing would have changed much. The director's cut of Alien and Aliens both are fundamentally change the movies a bit. Especially with Aliens. I'm so glad the theatrical releases are as perfect as they are.

edit: you know what rotten ratings mean right? It doesn't mean the movie is a 95/100, it means that 95% of movie critics that saw it liked it. So if you are contrarian with rotten, it just means you are contrarian with movie critics in general. I tend to be VERY contrarian to IMDB but I don't know why. I tend to be more or less in line with rotten (maybe cuz we look for similar things in movies?) but I have exceptions. Recent exceptions where I am opposite of Rotten is THE LORAX, RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES, SUPER 8 and a few others. I also seem to like CRAZY STUPID LOVE much more than Rotten did.

Rotten is a fun metric to use but it's super subjective. I find it better than imdb which is more or less like the people here. Like if Rotten was 97%, some of you want to be in that 3% SO BAD. You might as well get a leather jacket and motorcycle while you're at it. You're just so cool, I can barely stand it.
Last edit: 26 Mar 2012 22:20 by Black Barney.

More
26 Mar 2012 22:45 #120700 by ZMan
Replied by ZMan on topic Re: Prometheus trailer
I don't have Aliens on blu ray or on a dvd with extras so I can't check.

I recall seeing a scene and I could swear it was Aliens. When they were holed up in the control center (before the aliens came from above and they had to retreat further into the station) I remember that two guns were set up to automatic fire down a long corridor and it was tense momenets of those guns going off, showing the ammo counter going down but still not seeing the aliens.

But I have seen that movie probably a dozen times and have never seen that scene in any of theose showings.

Am I confusing movies? Am I thinking of a scene that never existed. Can anyone shed light on this?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
26 Mar 2012 23:00 - 26 Mar 2012 23:13 #120703 by Disgustipater

ZMan wrote: Am I confusing movies? Am I thinking of a scene that never existed. Can anyone shed light on this?

That scene is on my Special Edition Aliens DVD. The back of the box says "Includes 17 minutes of restored footage," so that scene must be a part of that footage. Runtime is 154 minutes, for future reference.

Last edit: 26 Mar 2012 23:13 by Disgustipater.

More
26 Mar 2012 23:20 #120707 by Black Barney
Zman, yeah the remote sentries are one of the awesome additions of the director's cut. That's a good addition. The worst part is they show Hadley's Hope before the marines arrive. YOu see Newt's parents and Timmy. You see the dad come back with a facehugger. It's just so stupid. How are you supposed to identify with the marines when you have more info than they do? It,s so scary when they start sweeping the compound cuz you don't know jack about what's happened.

but yeah, the remote sentries are awesome. Director's cut also adds some lovey-dovey stuff for Ripley/daughter, Ripley/Newt, Ripley/Hicks

I'm sad robot sentries got wiped. It's awesome.

More
26 Mar 2012 23:48 #120708 by Disgustipater

Black Barney wrote: It's so scary when they start sweeping the compound cuz you don't know jack about what's happened.

If I had to guess, I would say aliens did it.

More
26 Mar 2012 23:51 #120709 by Black Barney
nono, all the broken breached barricades and stuff. Where did everyone go? Why no bodies? Why no blood?

SO AWESOME

More
27 Mar 2012 01:15 #120716 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Re: Prometheus trailer

Black Barney wrote: dude, you're a fucking moron if you think...

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds