October 09, 2023
2790 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2935 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Walking Dead TV talk (w/ spoilers)

More
05 Jan 2012 20:50 #111978 by Ska_baron

MattLoter wrote: From seeing people talk about what's happening and hearing other people talk about it, I believe the story strays pretty far from the books, especially in season 2.

Having only read hardback book 1, it is WAY different. Even the same characters have developed radically different. I find myself liking the TV characters better (even the ones I hate), but I usually fall in love with a story in the first medium I find it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jan 2012 21:15 #111983 by Black Barney
Ska, I felt that by making Rick shoot Sophie it gave him the leadership again. He's the guy who has to make the tough decisions. Everyone is just frozen stiff and Rick did what had to be done, without hesitation. It was a really strong moment for him and I thought it cemented him as the leader.

The thing about leaving the farm is that while obviously being more interesting for the story and show, it is super unrealistic at this point, no? Rick just made a HUGE case about how dangerous it is to be on the move all the time. Everyone is MUCH safer at the farm, I don't see how they can leave the farm without a BIG FUSS. So I hope that they just don't get up and go but are basically thrown out or whatever. Because it's super dangerous for them to be wandering the way they've been doing it.

I guess they'll just keeping heading for that Fort?

More
05 Jan 2012 21:43 #111987 by Ska_baron
Yeah, Barney - it definitely gave Rick back the leadership/clout on making "hard decisions" so hopefully they'll be a more cohesive group for a little bit. I dont know about cementing him though. He really started to bug me while Carl was still questionable. He KEPT wanting to go out and get his wife, get supplies, etc. Had to be told to keep eating/resting b/c Carl need his blood. GEEZ.

And you make a good case about leaving vs staying. My guess is Hershel wants them out. Period. And with Rick back with leader status (as opposed to Shane), they leave peacefully.

Also, love the return of Daryl's brother (albeit in hallucination). Reminds us all that HE is still out there as well as Morgan and his son. Really tears me because I really love Daryl's character now and when they reunite I hope he doesnt revert into someone I end up hating...

More
05 Jan 2012 21:55 #111989 by Black Barney
Daryl is really puzzling to me because if I understand his character correctly (and I think I do), I don't know why that character would continue to stay with the group and not go off on his own. He's a loner, first of all, and his primal motivation should be finding his brother who he knows is alive. I don't know why Daryl stays with the group.

More
05 Jan 2012 22:05 #111991 by Ska_baron
My take is that he feels useful/validated. He's the tracker/survivalist and does a damn good job helping the group. His vision brother brings it up though that he's still alive out there and he isnt being searched for. Boils down a bit to the kicked dog scenario where Daryl is loyal to his brother who's clearly abusive, but with him out of sight, out of mind - he's taking comfort with the new crew. Of course, fireworks will explode when they reunite...

More
05 Jan 2012 22:38 #111993 by bomber
i think the thing is, if a rag ass bunch of guys with an old car and what, 2 guns between them and 43 bullets can survive then tens of thousands of crack troops with high powered weapons, not to mention tanks, air support and the likes would not have any problem nuking the high fuck out of zombies, millions or not, so the basic premise to me is just a bit weak. But to be honest, I just found the first handful of episodes incredibly dull, generic, derivative and lacking in excitement. I WISH I didn't feel like that, but I have to admit, I'm struggling to see how it gets talked about as one of the best TV series ever, it's certainly a million miles away from that!

More
05 Jan 2012 22:59 #111995 by Black Barney
because the rag ass nunch of guys with an old car didn't confront the walkers when the shit hit the fan. They laid low in various ways, whereas your tens of thousands of crack troops that can't deploy fast enough against this type of enemy from within can't possibly eradicate the threat until it's too late. Tanks and air support don't do jack against walkers anyway. They actually just make it worse to eradicate the threat.

That's why the show is so great because it's about what happens after. The survival.

More
14 Feb 2012 05:54 #116391 by Gary Sax
Alright, I have to admit the show has vastly improved. It's not vintage but now it's watchable and the tension works between the characters. This most recent episode was cracking and the final scene was excellent.

The first season was a huge disappointment, especially after ther miserable finale. They have really built back from that, I hope it continues.

More
14 Feb 2012 14:05 #116412 by hotseatgames
I read a few of the books years ago. From what I recall, the show strays quite a lot.

I personally think they will leave the farm. I think Glenn's girlfriend will go with them.

And I hope they find the racist biker alive somewhere. I like Michael Rooker.

More
14 Feb 2012 14:44 #116419 by Black Barney
Because Glenn is now a fan favourite (the only person people seem to identify with), I'm sure he isn't staying on the farm. I REALLY hope Maggie comes with them. For her to come with them, I think something awful has to happen to the farm/Herschel. And I think the last episode is setting that up.

Did you see the fire they made? It's massive. Did you remember the guys in the bar talking about a camp set up close? I think they will see the smoke cloud and come investigate, leading to some serious problems when the other two guys don't come back.

Btw, the ending of Episode 8 (the latest one) was AMAZING. I think it cements Rick as the leader we were hoping he would be. I totally forgot for a second he was a cop so of course he read that situation PERFECTLY and acted really smart (first tried diplomatics and when that was obviously not going anywhere...). I was really shocked by the ending and totally loved it. That's two endings in a row where Rick shows massive leadership skillz. I love it. It makes me like him more. i HATE Lori, I dislike Andrea. I really love Dale the most and I can't help but like Shane. Glenn is finally likeable because of the Maggie stuff.

I wasn't talking about the characters at all during season 1 which makes me think the show is bgetting better as Gary has said.

man, what a great ending to that episode. It waz as stressful as the bar/restaurant scene in There Will be Blood (if anyone remembers that). yikes

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.370 seconds