October 09, 2023
2585 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2783 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Walking Dead TV talk (w/ spoilers)

More
14 Feb 2012 15:03 - 14 Feb 2012 15:06 #116424 by Gary Sax
Lori is insufferable, kind of a bad actress and her scene where she irrationally gets into the accident totally did not hit the right notes, for me. But the last scene saved it.

More than anything, I appreciate that they've given Shane a *reasonable* counterpoint to Rick. He was very irrational and unreasonable last season. His character is necessary since he's basically speaking a lot of sense, which is where the dramatic tension was needed, to contrast Rick and Shane's post-apoc worldview. Before the last few episodes they weren't really writing him to articulate that worldview at all.

I've read the books, so this strays far from the books. But I'm fine with that---they can't constantly be cycling actors in and out of roles, that's just not the way that non-HBO episodic TV works.
Last edit: 14 Feb 2012 15:06 by Gary Sax.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Feb 2012 15:23 #116426 by Sagrilarus
I watched the first four or five episodes (they just entered the CDC) based on the recommmendations here, and I've decided to move on because it seems to pretty much be a string of dying scenes. It's a great dramatic moment for any actor, but when you start stringing them together it gets a little monotonous.

The fishing scene was very good. A pretty good indication that one of them was toast (and she was), but a good scene nonetheless.

S.

More
14 Feb 2012 16:19 #116433 by Black Barney
Gary, why would Lori leave to go after them?! Like they JUST left! Give them 8 hours at least before you get worried or something. She must have taken off in the car no more than 2 hours after they left. It made zero sense. Especially after the big speech she gave to Rick about how he can't abandon his son and then SHE abandons their son and leaves him alone. Doesn't she remember what happened when Sophie was entrusted to the care of someone other than her mother?

It seemed like super lazy writing because they needed her to be off on her own like the crossbow guy needed to be on his own as well.

Maybe Lori will be captured by the alternate camp?

on the subject earlier of the Biker guy (crossbow guy's brother), i really hope that the group doesn't find HIM (because that would be so unrealistic given how big the United States is) but rather he finds THEM (which would make sense since he would be seeking out his brother). They better do that right when and if it happens.

More
14 Feb 2012 19:00 #116452 by QPCloudy
Lori is retarded. My wife and I just sat there the whole time all, "what the FUCK is this bitch doing? They went to get Herschel already!!! That's why they left!!! They will bring him back!!!!"

ALso, as soon as "Renee"(ie from True Blood) said they were from Philly, I knew there would be drama.

More
14 Feb 2012 19:25 #116458 by Gary Sax

Sagrilarus wrote: I watched the first four or five episodes (they just entered the CDC) based on the recommmendations here, and I've decided to move on because it seems to pretty much be a string of dying scenes. It's a great dramatic moment for any actor, but when you start stringing them together it gets a little monotonous.

The fishing scene was very good. A pretty good indication that one of them was toast (and she was), but a good scene nonetheless.

S.

I think that's reasonable, Sag. I thought the 1st season was not very good. The CDC finale is one of the worst episodes of television I've sat down and watched for some time, the only reason I'm still watching is because I forgot to cancel my DVR subscription of it after my digust at that episode. I'm going to pretend it never happened---I mean, mad scientist explaining the zombie plague is NOT the point of this show. I wouldn't recommend anyone watch the first season besides the 1st episode, which set a nice tone. The 2nd season is better, but I wouldn't expect you to take my word for it.

Sounds like we're all in agreement with how silly the Lori character is acting. And they better not give some misogynistic bullshit about how it's all hormonal or something stupid like that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ska_baron

More
16 Feb 2012 17:16 #116689 by Ska_baron
Yeah, I'm trusting them to damn well explain Lori's actions in a convincing way, because it was like Barney says - TWO HOURS LATER if that. UGH.

And I liked how in the bar scene it seemed like the two Phili guys had a system too. Like when the one jumped the counter (to split Rick's attention and avoid getting shot by his friend), the fat guy twiched for his gun. And of course Rick's gonna pick up on that. Good stuff.

And I like how Rick's changed after the barn. He's going after the doc because of his unborn baby, not *just* some altruism. Rick's a good guy and I like that they're toning down the crazy of Shane. He needs to seem hotheaded, which means most of the time he's reasonable, but he's ultimately unpredictable.

Really respected the mom not going to see her kid buried. Her reasoning made sense, and even how she "felt better" knowing her little girl wasnt lost or hungry.

What else?

Enjoy the tension between the old RV guy and Shane. Still liking Dale - he's a great complex character I think.

Oh, and now what's the plan now that Fort Benning's out? Seems like Herschel will let em stay now that he's come around on the Walkers. I think it'll be the rival gang coming, fight and the house needing to be abandoned. But what would it take to make it no longer desireable? Burnt to the ground? Overrun w/ zeds too? I can't see it being a chase-them-out scenario when the other gang shows up, because they wouldnt be able to make it to their cars w/o being killed.

So my only complaint after this episode was Lori. WTF. Better be a good reason, AND a good reason for keeping it secret. (haha, Gary - "She's preggo! She cant control herself!")

More
16 Feb 2012 19:51 #116709 by Black Barney
Dale is by far my favourite character. I only question his sanity in getting on Shane's nerves. If his instincts about Shane are right, then he should know to leave him alone.
The scene where Dale is pointing his gun at Shane's chest and Shane KNOWS that Dale will never shoot is one of the best scenes this season. I'll say 3rd best.

I'm really worried that Lori leaving is just REALLY lazy writing because they need her to get captured by the other camp or whatever. Man, I hate that character. I hate it when she keeps getting mad at Rick for making decisions without consulting her. Who does she think she is? The First Lady? Rick's the leader, it's not a shared leadership.

With Fort benning out and especially Herschel seeing that Rick just saved him and his farm from Philly, I think Herschel will come around a bit. But because that makes for boring television, obviously the other camp will get involved after they see the fire or Lori or whatever (I've never read the comic, btw).

More
16 Feb 2012 20:36 #116721 by Ska_baron
Maybe the rival gang will hit at the inopportune time when a search party goes out looking for dumb dumb Lori?

Oh, and editing my post above - I meant that I really liked Daryl (not Dale, though he is pretty cool). Daryl is a fav of mine.

More
16 Feb 2012 22:34 #116744 by aerodynamics
RE: the Lori character...for me it's compounded by the fact that the actress (Sarah Wayne Callies) really grates on me, due in large part to getting tired of her after my wife went on a two-week, watch every episode of Prison Break in a row binge last year. I hate to judge (god knows I couldn't act my way out of a wet paper sack) and she's very beautiful, but her acting chops seem to solely rely on reacting to every possible situation by opening her eyes as wide as she can.

More
16 Feb 2012 22:45 #116745 by Gary Sax
I agree, I do think she's one of the poorer actresses on the show, aero. Combine that with the fact that she has such a big role, and...

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.174 seconds