October 09, 2023
2805 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2945 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

The Dark Knight Rises **WITH SPOILERS**

More
25 Jul 2012 15:00 #131311 by ZMan

repoman wrote:
3) Why wait four months to destroy the city. Because the true nature of humanity must be displayed to the world. Isn't that the whole philosophy behind the League of Shadows? That humanity is too corrupt to live and must be cleansed? They want to showcase this. Let it be on the news every night. Let it be transmitted to the world.

You and mjl said the same thing and I can agree to a point. However, after a few weeks, things settled down mighty fast and living the way they were was routine except for the occasional raids. So 5 months was waaaay longer than needed to have Gotham destroy themselves by their own hand. And I don't think it did anything to the rest of the world in teaching a lesson.

And I still don't buy why they would want themselves killed in the process. Seemed way pointless. An organization hundreds of years old I think that old) to fulfill their destiny by the destruction of one city in a world of hundreds of cities with no follow up whatsoever? Pretty lame to me.

The more I think about the film, the less I will remember it as anything special. It was a nice flick while watching (and I will probably get it on dvd) but it will not be remembered by me as anything special. I liked the Avengers way more, yet is still forgettable beyond the moment.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dair

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jul 2012 17:26 #131320 by ZMan
This review nails how I feel about the film.

www.aintitcool.com/node/57109
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dair

More
26 Jul 2012 04:24 - 26 Jul 2012 04:26 #131342 by daveroswell
There may be an unintended effect to this movie.

Overall, there have been very few if any complaints about production. The Batman novices seem to like the movie for production value alone. For this reason, noobs seem to like The Dark Knight Rises more than hardcore Batman fans in general. Could this movie be a catalyst to get casual fans or complete noobs interested in Batman?
Last edit: 26 Jul 2012 04:26 by daveroswell.

More
26 Jul 2012 06:02 #131344 by KingPut
And how can he have the fraking Pittsburg Steelers and Hines Ward play for the Gothem Football team. Now that really pissed me off. I hate the Steelers. But Catwomen gave me a total boner. She saved the movie for me. Banes was cool but I'd totally see this Dark Knight Rises again to see Catwomen.

More
26 Jul 2012 08:28 #131347 by repoman
There haven't been any complaints about production because it's fantastic. The action scenes are fantastic. The acting is fantastic. The movie is fantastic.

If there is a divide between Batman fans and noobs it is the same one that appeared when the Lord of the Rings trilogies were released. "They aren't like the books", "That guy wasn't there" blah blah blah.

We can dissect the plot until the cows come home looking for holes or things we didn't like. If that is what you are searching for that is what you will find in this or any movie. I still say this movie is great, will be long remembered, and the trilogy as a whole is the best ever made. Better than Lord of the Rings, better than the Godfather, better even than Star Wars.

More
26 Jul 2012 08:30 #131348 by repoman

KingPut wrote: And how can he have the fraking Pittsburg Steelers and Hines Ward play for the Gothem Football team. Now that really pissed me off. I hate the Steelers.

Well, seeing as the whole football team except one dude gets killed, I'd think you'd be happy.

More
26 Jul 2012 09:37 #131354 by panzerattack
I thought the first two films did a really good job of making all of the superhero stuff seem plausible. They were well thought out and everything that happened felt like it could happen in the real world.

I found there were too many things in this film that just didn't seem right to me.

Bruce Wayne discovers nuclear fusion (that would essentially solve the world's fuel problems) but decides not to use it because there's a chance it could be used as a bomb. A regular nuclear power station could be turned into a pretty big bomb and yet we still take the risk with them!

Bain goes to a load of effort to kidnap the single man in the whole world who has the technical know-how to turn the fusion reactor into a bomb. He also goes to massive trouble capturing the fusion reactor itself. Wouldn't it have been easier to just kidnap a regular nuclear scientist and make a regular nuclear bomb? Would've done the same thing. The film seems to ignore the fact that nuclear power is already a reality in the world.

Bruce Wayne is essentially paralysed, but one karate chop to the back and a couple of weeks doing press ups restores him to being in good enough shape to take Bain on in hand to hand combat.

There's trouble in the sewers so they send every single cop in the city down there to sort it out?

I'm not a massive comic book film fan but the first two Batman films really won me over. This film certainly wasn't a bad film but half way through I was very conscious of how much my butt was aching from the cinema seats and I was kinda waiting for it to end.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wice

More
26 Jul 2012 13:05 #131362 by Dair
repoman, I envy your excitement for the movie. I didn't sit and nit pick it apart after the fact, although I agree with a lot of the nit picking that others have done. I simply felt very "meh" during and after the movie. I was head over heels with both previous movies and walked away wanting to see them again. This time, my gut reaction was one of disappointment.

More
26 Jul 2012 20:17 - 26 Jul 2012 20:17 #131395 by Octavian

KingPut wrote: And how can he have the fraking Pittsburg Steelers and Hines Ward play for the Gothem Football team. Now that really pissed me off. I hate the Steelers.

One of the perks of filming in Pittsburgh. One of the players even had the Mayor's name on his jersey.

Having lived there for 10 years and having walked through the streets where a lot of the street shots were filmed countless times, it ended up being a bit of a distraction for me. There was one scene in particular where action was happening in the street and they cut to a reaction shot of someone standing on the steps of a building and then went back to the street. All I could think of was "there's no way he could see what's happening from there!"
Last edit: 26 Jul 2012 20:17 by Octavian.

More
28 Jul 2012 02:00 #131527 by QPCloudy
These movies are mean to be BASED on the CHARACTER Batman CREATED BY xxx. Doesn't matter if they match the comics page for page.

This movie was fantastic! I cried three times at the end, even when "Robin" walked into the bat cave and the platform rose. I know the Dark Knight trilogy is over, but it might be nice to at least see one more Gotham film.

Also, I cheered for Scarecrow's cameo. Brilliant.

This was the PERFECT end to an amazing trilogy. Best ever? Maybe not BEST, but at least in a tie for number 1. All three films that is. I really don't think you can pick one Dark Knight film over another. All three films combined form a fantastic story.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.271 seconds