October 09, 2023
2617 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2811 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

The Dark Knight Rises **WITH SPOILERS**

More
31 Jul 2012 17:33 #131704 by Michael Barnes
Yeah, there was that...but I still got that he hadn't really stopped...I mean, come on...not EVERYBODY was just thrown in Blackgate after the Dent Act. And everybody knows that the correctional facilities in Gotham practically have revolving doors. It also wouldn't make sense that he was so dinged up after the events of the previous two films and whatever peripheral stuff was going on.

True, you can't really compare the comics stuff to the films since they're aimimg for something different. My point to GL is that it's not an unreasonable plot device in a Batman story for him to be elsewhere and it still be a Batman story.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jul 2012 18:57 #131706 by Green Lantern

Michael Barnes wrote: That's absolutely correct Green Lantern, and FTR my hypocrisy has been exposed for years now.

As most F:ATties understand and submit to, I am the supreme arbiter of what is good and bad and all are expected to follow my lead.

Noted and filed. LOL!

Michael Barnes wrote: Wayne didn't give up on Gotham. He was disheartened by the events surrounding Harvey Dent and Batman was a fugitive. Eight years had passed, and we can infer that he was still active, fighting crime, and working at odds with the authorities for the same purpose. But he was tired, broken, and had apparently quit by the events of DKR. He didn't just go home at the end of TDK and sulk. Those eight years of lowering crime rates weren't supposed to be assumed to just be a result of the Dent Act. I don't think that was the intended implication.

It wasn't an implication at all. It was stated as fact that both Batman and Bruce Wayne had been MIA for years. Wayne did indeed go home and sulk for eight years and was okay allowing the League and evil around the world to gather strength for the inevitable reprisal he must have suspected was coming.

Trust me, Barnes, I'm not the type to go into a superhero movie looking for absolute reality. However; as you stated, the Nolan films seems to have prided themselves on such a premise and that's why it pissed me off to see Wayne and Alfred reduces to mere shells of the men we had been familiar with in the first two films (which were both excellent BTW).

More
31 Jul 2012 19:00 - 31 Jul 2012 19:00 #131707 by Green Lantern

Michael Barnes wrote: Also, I'm sorry Green Lantern sucked. I know that must sting. Hopefully they'll try again.

Thank you, sir. I'm learning to cope but it still hurts. At least Green Lantern: First Flight and Emerald Knights were well done.

P.S. - I'm sorry Blade Runner sucks.
Last edit: 31 Jul 2012 19:00 by Green Lantern.

More
31 Jul 2012 19:25 #131708 by repoman

Green Lantern wrote: P.S. - I'm sorry Blade Runner sucks.

Good Lord, how wrong can one may be? Judging by that one statement, the answer is purely scientific terms would be "a lot".

Anyway, Mike, don't get sucked into offering plausible explanations for perceived plot shortcomings. As I stated after four pages of such attempts, people will find what they want to find. If it's flaws you're after, flaws you will have.

Film is awesome. Plain and simple. Trilogy is the best ever.
The following user(s) said Thank You: imrahil327

More
31 Jul 2012 19:31 #131709 by QPCloudy
Agreed. Screw your opinion. If you think these movies were bad, you're just plain wrong.

More
31 Jul 2012 19:52 #131710 by Black Barney
I should make lots of friends with this:

Both Blade Runner and Green Lantern* suck

*not the poster and fellow F:ATtie. Just the movie, superhero, comic book and all of that.

More
31 Jul 2012 19:53 #131711 by Michael Barnes
The masses have spoken Green Lantern. It's been decided that you're wrong. Now fall in line!

Repo, you're absolutely correct. Much like the other Batman films, there are things that are best left unexplained.

The ONE THING that gets me in all three films is the cellphone business in TDK. They tell Wayne that there's no cellphones allowed in the building (which is a total bullshit contrivance to begin with), and then the security guy puts his phone in a TRANSPARENT drawer with no other phones in it. So none of these other business people brought a phone in to the office? It's horrendously sloppy writing to get the sonar device in the building. I don't understand why the writers didn't just have Wayne walk up with a phone and say "hey, I think someone dropped a phone", and then have it thrown into a lost and found drawer. That bothers the SHIT out of me. Of course, the guys in said office building apparently waiting for the lights to go out with flashlights and guns ready bugs me too.

I have First Flight, it is pretty good...I'll have to look at Emerald Knights, been meaning to get it. However, the best film Green Lantern to date is Guy Gardner on the Brave and the Bold. "Eat my toenail clippings, Batman!"

More
31 Jul 2012 20:07 #131713 by Green Lantern

Black Barney wrote: I should make lots of friends with this:

Both Blade Runner and Green Lantern* suck

*not the poster and fellow F:ATtie. Just the movie, superhero, comic book and all of that.

Seriously, not trying to flame bait or anything but Blade Runner is incoherent at best. Why exactly were the replicants on Earth trying to hold down day jobs? Why were there midget toys randomly wandering around an apartment? Why do I care about Ford's character and his search for the fugitives? Why did he dream of unicorns???

I couldn't watch this film in my youth but chalked that up to adolescent ADD. I watched Blade Runner for the first time in years a couple of weeks ago and scratched my head the whole damn time. The whole thing seemed like random scenes strung along for no apparent reason and I want that two hours of my life back.

More
31 Jul 2012 20:11 - 31 Jul 2012 20:12 #131714 by Green Lantern

Michael Barnes wrote: The ONE THING that gets me in all three films is the cellphone business in TDK. They tell Wayne that there's no cellphones allowed in the building (which is a total bullshit contrivance to begin with), and then the security guy puts his phone in a TRANSPARENT drawer with no other phones in it. So none of these other business people brought a phone in to the office? It's horrendously sloppy writing to get the sonar device in the building. I don't understand why the writers didn't just have Wayne walk up with a phone and say "hey, I think someone dropped a phone", and then have it thrown into a lost and found drawer. That bothers the SHIT out of me. Of course, the guys in said office building apparently waiting for the lights to go out with flashlights and guns ready bugs me too.

Dude, that's nothing. Why did Batman have to hire mercenaries to extract him from the office building in China to begin with? He's Batman and he needs a random flight crew of mercenaries to take him in and extract him. Hoo boy that's lame. And how does the mercenary crew not figure out that the guy they pick up from his yacht is not the same guy in a batsuit with a Chinese fugitive in tow?
Last edit: 31 Jul 2012 20:12 by Green Lantern.

More
31 Jul 2012 20:15 #131715 by Green Lantern

repoman wrote: Film is awesome. Plain and simple. Trilogy is the best ever.

Lord of the Rings owns best trilogy IMO; however, the Nolan trilogy is still awesome despite the shortcomings of The Dark Knight Returns.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.177 seconds