October 09, 2023
2707 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2868 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Battlestar Galactica - finally

More
19 Dec 2012 18:24 #139881 by Ska_baron
So I just started watching this show on hulu. I'm not sure why I resisted for so long, but it's pretty darn good. I guess I wasnt really resisting per se, but I wasnt actively trying to get into it either.

I wonder if it may ignite a desire to get the game though... Played it once a few years back and thought it was okay.

Any shows you're only now getting around to?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Dec 2012 18:51 #139886 by Shellhead
Last month, I finally noticed that the local public library carries season boxed sets for many tv shows. So I finally got around to watching Band of Brothers and The Pacific recently.

More
19 Dec 2012 18:55 #139887 by Ska_baron
Good call - I saw part of an episode of Band of Brothers during a Psychology experiment in college and thought I'd probably love that show. Though that looks like it'll require Netflix (or a library).

More
19 Dec 2012 19:46 #139892 by OldHippy
I've tried to watch Battle Star Galactica but never got passed the first season. It seemed ok but not enough to entice me into getting addicted. It was a little too serious, I started wondering in the third or so episode if they had invented humour yet or if this society was going to come up with that idea at some later point.

The game actually made me less interested in seeing the show because the photo's look so silly. I love the game though, I just don't like the photo's all that much. I think I'll give the show another chance. I did enjoy it I just have to get over the no humour thing.

As for catching old shows this year I've watched... for the first time ever both Futurama and Buffy. I don't know why I waited so long as they are both excellent shows and I enjoyed them immensely. In fact I watched all of Wheddon's show backwards this year (except Firefly which I've always loved). Dollhouse, Angel, and Buffy and I liked them best in that order too. Buffy, although the weakest for me was still great fun. Nothing beats Firefly though.

More
19 Dec 2012 20:49 #139902 by Columbob
24 season 1. Started it last year, but my spouse wasn't really hooked and we stopped after 5 episodes. After putting my bike away for the season, I got back on the elliptical and needed something to watch (it's usually concert dvds), so I picked it back up. Fun, if uneven and you need to suspend disbelief for some things (notably that everywhere in LA is a short 10-20 minute ride away from anywhere else).

More
19 Dec 2012 20:55 #139903 by Shellhead

Columbob wrote: 24 season 1. Started it last year, but my spouse wasn't really hooked and we stopped after 5 episodes. After putting my bike away for the season, I got back on the elliptical and needed something to watch (it's usually concert dvds), so I picked it back up. Fun, if uneven and you need to suspend disbelief for some things (notably that everywhere in LA is a short 10-20 minute ride away from anywhere else).

I watched season one, or at least most of it. It was great fun at first, but eventually I lost interest towards the end of the first season. That would have been hilarious if Jack had spent two consecutive entire episodes stuck in a rush hour traffic jam.

More
19 Dec 2012 20:59 - 19 Dec 2012 20:59 #139905 by Columbob

Shellhead wrote:

Columbob wrote: 24 season 1. Started it last year, but my spouse wasn't really hooked and we stopped after 5 episodes. After putting my bike away for the season, I got back on the elliptical and needed something to watch (it's usually concert dvds), so I picked it back up. Fun, if uneven and you need to suspend disbelief for some things (notably that everywhere in LA is a short 10-20 minute ride away from anywhere else).

I watched season one, or at least most of it. It was great fun at first, but eventually I lost interest towards the end of the first season. That would have been hilarious if Jack had spent two consecutive entire episodes stuck in a rush hour traffic jam.

There's this episode where the security people arrive at the Bauer house literally a couple of minutes after the alarm was activated. They didn't even switch scenes, I couldn't believe it. DVD mark was 3 minutes after the start of the episode. So much for real time.
Last edit: 19 Dec 2012 20:59 by Columbob.

More
19 Dec 2012 21:24 #139911 by TheDukester
I just started Homeland. No idea why I waited. One day just turned into one more day ...

More
19 Dec 2012 22:01 #139915 by Egg Shen
My friend let me borrow the complete Battlestar Galactica series on Blu-Ray and I plowed through it all earlier this year. The show takes a few episodes to get going and then I was hooked. I think it peaks somewhere around the middle of Season 2. Then it just starts to get a little more bizarre towards the end. All in all it's a fun series and I'm glad I gave it a chance. It has some really great/memorable characters that you grow to love. That's what kept me coming back until the end.

More
19 Dec 2012 22:01 #139916 by Msample
Homeland, esp Season 1, is awesome. Season 2 just ended, and while it struggled a bit during the middle, stuck the landing on the finale the other night.

More
19 Dec 2012 22:23 #139917 by wadenels

JonJacob wrote: I've tried to watch Battle Star Galactica but never got passed the first season. It seemed ok but not enough to entice me into getting addicted. It was a little too serious, I started wondering in the third or so episode if they had invented humour yet or if this society was going to come up with that idea at some later point.

I almost really liked BSG. At first I thought it was great; big space battles, traitors, moral dilemmas, and all that good stuff. But they never really got around to developing humour. For a while it's like Emo Galactica because there's almost no space combat and everybody mopes around. Towards the middle-end of the series it got to soap-opera-y for me; mopey moral dilemmas, love stories, depression, overly dramatic emotional developments, more religion, and all that crappy stuff. Naturally my wife likes the middle-end best, and I like the first episodes best. Overall it tells a good story and I've been tempted to watch the whole series again, but since I know how things turn out I feel like I'll be even less interested in the emotional-drama-of-the-week episodes.

It's a good series, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. Yet there's a reason the board game revolves around hidden motives and space battles and not love interests and and emotional baggage.

More
19 Dec 2012 22:55 #139921 by Shellhead
BSG started out great. The initial mini-series is outstanding. Then the quality dropped from season to season. Season one is still very good. Season two is not as good, but still very decent. Season three becomes even and then takes a hard swerve in the direction of stupidity at the end. By the time I got to that point in my viewing, I had already heard bad things about the final season, so I stopped. I have no intention of watching the final season of BSG, as I suspect that it will diminish my appreciation for the seasons that I did see. And I don't feel compelled to watch everything within the science-fiction genre.

More
20 Dec 2012 00:01 #139924 by Gary Sax
That's almost exactly my assessment of BSG, Egg Shen. Season 1 is riveting television, especially.

More
20 Dec 2012 01:34 #139928 by DukeofChutney
i agree with the consensus.

BSG is great when its hunt for the red october / crimson tide in space, but when it turns quasi religious soap opera it suffers. 1st season is mostly good though, and 2nd has good episodes. Its very hit and miss after that. Luckily they write it in often 3 or 4 episode arcs, and some of the later arcs and pretty good, even if some are terrible.

More
20 Dec 2012 10:09 #139941 by Sevej
I really like BSG. The later seasons have slow episodes, but these only punctuate the explosive parts. May be my familiarity with Evangelion makes me tolerate quasi religious stuff better.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds