October 09, 2023
2579 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2776 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

The Walking Dead - Season 4

More
02 Dec 2013 21:19 - 02 Dec 2013 22:44 #166553 by ChristopherMD
Yeah, this was a great episode and an excellent mid-season finale. Didn't quite make the previous two episodes worth it though. All those did was bring the Gov back to where he was the last time we saw him before them. They could have skipped those episodes and just had him show up with the tank and a new militia.
Read a lot of people complaining about the mother leaving the daughter to play in the mud so far away. I assume they had a perimeter watch set up around that whole camp. Like the mother watching the river. They had no way of knowing there was a flash flood and who knows how many walkers buried under that mud.
Alas poor Hershel. We knew he was on borrowed time this season, but still sad to see him go. I had a Breaking Bad flashback watching the scene though and almost thought he was going to say after Rick's long speech something like "nice speech but he made up his mind ten minutes ago".
I was actually hoping it would be Beth killing the Gov to save Rick (and avenge her dad). She disappeared right before that and thought that's where she went.
The conversation with Rick where he offered to let even the Gov live there was well done. He really went all out offering any of them who wanted to stay there to avoid a fight.
I loved the look on the woman's face when she sees the little girls with the guns. Such confusion on how to react to that. Then of course shot right in the head.
They needed Shane's baby dead (or at least out of the picture) outside the prison because the crying will always attract walkers. You can't move or hide discreetly with a crying baby.
From reading the comics I suspect I know where they all ultimately go to meet up. Still should be a good second half with everyone apart and not knowing who else is still alive. Also at this point in the comics and the show Rick's group has survived enough battles with people and walkers they're a force to be reckoned with even when outnumbered.

Also, nice touch with the zombie woman from earlier in the season walking in with the rest at the end.
Last edit: 02 Dec 2013 22:44 by ChristopherMD.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Dec 2013 07:56 #166560 by Black Barney
I don't remember that zombie woman at all but I did notice they really focused on her so I was trying to recognize her.

Are we sure Judith is dead? Could have been someone else's blood but then again, they'll never show a dead baby so it would be off screen anyway.

Love Daryl's moments. My wife was flipping out when that biter was coming up behind him.

Good episode. Herschel was my favourite character (Dale was at one point) and they keep killing my favourites. I also was hoping Beth would kill Brian, or maybe Maggie but she's a mess.

That scene with the two little girls shooting was the most powerful. I was taken aback by that look. The contribution of Carol in all its glory.

Did the gay girl with the ponytails survive? She seems pretty fun, I hope she sticks around. I like that she realized they were following a nut the second he beheaded Herschel. She realized they were on the wrong side.

Did Daryl kill that military guy? He didn't go for a headshot so I assume the biters got him but he might show up again. Lots of possibilities.

The walkers retaking the prison was very much like the last scenes of Dawn of the Dead when they take back the mall.

More
03 Dec 2013 09:23 #166564 by the_jake_1973
We watched the last two episodes last night. An enjoyable finale and I am excited for where they go next.

I wasn't terribly surprised that Herschel bit it. His arc was done and he was living on borrowed time after the leg and the sickness.

I found myself wondering why the tank commander was not firing at the people, but instead at their proposed shelter. Although the lack of a coax machine gun may point to the guy being just a driver and the vehicle not prepped for range firing, even a driver knows to fire high explosive rounds at the people on the ground. A few well placed shots and the prison would have been theirs.

Carl's range estimation needs a little work as the shot he wanted on Da Guv was well over 50 yards. I though Darryl would have been able to make it with his rifle though. Chop off the head and kill the snake.

Go Team Kids!

I liked the grenade down the barrel of the tank. Especially since it caught the dude as he was loading the next round. I could see that happening if one person is commander, loader, and gunner.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, mikecl

More
03 Dec 2013 09:39 #166565 by Black Barney
speaking of arcs being done, are they keeping Tyreese alive just for when they eventually run into Carol one day? That guy sure seems done at this point. I couldn't believe he survived this episode.

yay team kids!

More
03 Dec 2013 10:09 #166568 by the_jake_1973
He will likely fade into obscurity for few episodes and then die after you have forgotten he is part of the cast, a la T-Dawg.

More
03 Dec 2013 10:19 #166569 by ChristopherMD

Black Barney wrote: I don't remember that zombie woman at all but I did notice they really focused on her so I was trying to recognize her.

The woman who tried to lure Rick into her camp and feed him to her boyfriend. She stabs herself and then we find out what his three questions for newcomers are.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
03 Dec 2013 11:10 #166577 by Ska_baron
Woah, high body count!

Anyone else want to speculate that Carol took the wrap for killing sickies when it was actually that little girl? She has to be the one mutilating animals and feeding walkers, right? Could be the twist to get Carol back in the group and be the reason Tyreese is still around - more internal conflict! Yay!

Loved this episode, and thought the fence scene was handled perfectly. Gov really seemed like he wanted to avoid bloodshed and be a new man (even after offing people again to reluctantly lead). Rick's offer sounded SO reasonable that I truly thought Gov would take him up on it, which was perfect when he killed Hershel instead. Gonna miss him. Loved the whole playing up redemption angle.

Killer Kids - woah. Heavy stuff and a great new perspective to consider as the group goes on. Carl's seemingly come into his own.

As for Lil Ass Kicker, how did she get left there?! Gah! Forget who it was that had her last, but c'mon! I agree, that for plot reasons, she had to go and they couldnt show that (thank God). But still, it seemed somewhat chaotic and abrupt.

Great mid season finale overall!

More
03 Dec 2013 14:31 #166589 by Black Barney
My wife is convinced Judith is fine because they showed the girl that was carrying the baby carrier was clearly having trouble with the bulky weight of it. It stands to reason that it would be easier to run with just the baby in her arms.

I don't think that girl killed those people, she wouldn't be able to drag them (that was Carol) and the girl was unable to stab her dad to save him from turning. Shooting someone is easier.

Mad Dog, what were the questions again? How many walkers have you killed? How many people have you killed? and what's the third question?

They never explain the reasoning behind the questions (although they're damn good ones) or what he's looking for in terms of answers right? He wants someone who has killed walkers and wants to know the logic behind why they killed people if they did?

More
03 Dec 2013 15:45 #166597 by Ska_baron
Yeah - I havent worked out the dragging aspect. An accomplice? Hmmm...

So who's splicing rabbits?

More
03 Dec 2013 15:51 #166598 by Black Barney
That was a rabbit? I think it was another mouse/rat but I'm awful at marsupials (I have no idea if these are marsupials)

I still think it's the little girl who is doing all that weird stuff. It really screams sociopathic child to me.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.241 seconds