October 09, 2023
2581 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2778 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

The Walking Dead - Season 4

More
26 Feb 2014 17:17 #172592 by Black Barney
I don't know if it's because I'm watching A Game of Thrones concurrently but MAN does Walking Dead not hold the same level of quality. And not just in terms of set pieces and story since that's hard to compete with. But Walking Dead is supposed to be all about the characters and I'm finding more and more that the characters have almost no depth at all to them. No extra dimensions. Like take this new scientist guy, I know he's new but holy crap is there ever nothing to him. I guess the actor sucks but it's killing me.

I absolutely hate Carl now. That scene where the girl almost killed the baby was absolutely gut-wrenching to watch. My wife cried. The show is just way too unpleasant now. I really like the new army guy (Bull from Band of Brothers!) and I love the girl that is following Glenn around (not the brand new girl but the relatively new girl).

Anyway, I bought the season so I'll keep on watching but of the last three episodes, only the last one was any good (in my opinion).

I was also confused as to how Michonne can walk among the dead so easily. But worse than that, and I've said this before, the whole ninja-stealth zombie thing is driving me nuts. They are in the middle of a forest during day time and a walker is all of a sudden right behind you?! I don't think so. You'd be also to see them 50 yards away, you'd be able to hear them 100 years away. Are the walkers holding their breath when they are waiting on the other side of a door?

gah, so much of the show just bugs me to no end. I loved Herschel too, this sucks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Feb 2014 19:04 #172598 by ChristopherMD
Barney, Walking Dead is a popcorn show for me. I know that's no excuse for lack of quality. For me its just like getting on a ride at Disneyworld or something. I'll sit there and enjoy it even though its pretty tacky. Game Of Thrones is a serious show with some serious tits.

I liked the Rick hiding under the bed thing. Considering Jeff Kober was on screen and he's too fun of an actor to waste and one of the group members will be able to identify Rick when he wakes up I'm sure this isn't the last we see of that group.

For those who haven't read the comics I'm not going to say much about the new characters. Other than point and laugh at the mullet. Haha!

The more time that goes by the more I'm looking forward to all the surviving character reunions.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
27 Feb 2014 10:09 #172634 by Black Barney
That's a strong point, Mad Dog, and if I change my perspective of the show, then I'm sure I'd enjoy it. here's the problem though: the show didn't start off as a popcorn show. It was seriously making attempts at drama (and succeeding on a few fronts). The show has become more and more ridiculous although I think it's still taking itself seriously. So something is off for me.

The scenes with Rick in that house were fantastic. The show managed to make us feel like he was in serious, serious danger even though we never really saw the men at all. That's pretty impressive. And then you cut to some sloppy scenes of Glenn or Carl of whatever. The show has become a dog's breakfast :(

More
27 Feb 2014 10:32 #172639 by Ska_baron
On the doctor, I was thinking he came off more of someone on the autistic scale or something as opposed to plain old bad acting.

More
03 Mar 2014 18:47 #172892 by ChristopherMD
In the running for my favorite episode of the season. When they did those Governor episodes I kept saying I wanted some more of that, but with characters I actually liked and was interested in. Although it seems like every season Darryl needs to be reminded that he's not just some lowlife redneck anymore, but an important person that people actually want to have around. I was thinking Darryl and Beth would hook up this season, but if the moonshine didn't do it then I think they'll just be bff's. I liked how Darryl seemed in his element and content to just live out in the woods the rest of his life. Beth might be one the most complex characters on the series. Back in S2 she wanted to kill herself to end the suffering, but now she's (as far as she knows) lost her entire family including watching some die in front of her and it doesn't even slow her down.

More
04 Mar 2014 10:11 #172932 by Black Barney
Mad Dog is the ying to my yang. This was very likely my least favourite episode of not just this season, but of the entire series. My wife loved it and said it's probably an episode more for female fans of the show because it has Daryl and a bunch of woman-issues that the young girl is going through.

I want them to hook up too but I don't think they will because she's 17. But if she gets it in her head that she wants to drink because she never did, then I'm sure sex is not far away as the next impulse she'll have.

I just found the episode really boring and too introspective for shallow characters. I'm telling ya, Game of Thrones is totally ruining other TV shows for me. A simple conversation between two random characters in that show is more compelling that this entire episode of Walking Dead.

Worse than that, I think I'm actually starting to dislike the show at this point. I just don't care not identify with any of the characters. Glenn was so cool in season one and now he's so empty. Daryl has had zero progression as a character. I'm more confused than ever to why he was initially with the group in the first place, he's a loner like Michonne. When he was eating that mud snake, I think its the happiest I've ever seen him.

Ugh, I hope my wife burns out on the show this season as well so I don't have to buy the next season.

More
05 Mar 2014 12:01 #172995 by Ska_baron
Barney - you need to shut it. You sound like an idiot.

Also, GoT is sweet.

More
11 Mar 2014 21:01 #173365 by ChristopherMD
Character and plot developments. This is like an actual TV show now.

I really liked the opening with just Bob walking alone. The fog scene was okay. It didn't feel tense or anything. Just a regular walker attack. The hand-painting in blood was actually pretty gross. The No Parking sign kills were all great. Now I need to add a No Parking sign card to Last Night On Earth.

Was interesting they kept with the Darryl/Beth story this episode. On the plus side they didn't build Beth up last episode just to kill her off. I like it when she sings because it fits in a non-electric world. Since the car had a giant cross in the rear window and considering the location I'm guessing its the priest from the comics. Darryl opening the door without looking was a rookie horror movie mistake. The Jeff Kober gang are clearly bad guys and probably the ones that hit that camp in the Governor episode. Darryl is smart enough to know he'll never see Beth again unless he finds a lead by dumb luck. He may stick with the gang just to not deal with that.

More
12 Mar 2014 09:07 #173379 by Black Barney
I'm scared to post my thoughts on this episode cuz Ska is going to hurt my feelings again :(

I really liked this episode. I was super surprised that they kept up the Beth/Daryl thing back-to-back episodes. That was a really nice moment they were having when they were interupted. I have a feeling if and when they find each other again, that it will be pretty amazing. Especially if Daryl saves her.

The Bob stuff was great but I didn't like that they wrote and wrapped up the entire Maggie split in one clean episode. It felt too episodic. I think we could have been given an episode or two to worry if they were going to find each other.

Aren't no parking signs super heavy, especially with the metal pole? Those things don't blow over in wind.

Daryl accidentally cornering himself in the downstairs of the moritorium was really intense. He used those guerneys like a genius. So smart to flee. He knows what he's doing. I liked him grabbing his bolt out of the walker's head on the way back up the stairs like it was business as usual.

The shot of Beth playing the piano and signing with Daryl lying in a coffin was really nice. Did not feel campy or staged.

Really liked the opening and genesis of Bob. Hope we get more of those for other characters.

More
12 Mar 2014 09:22 #173383 by hotseatgames

Black Barney wrote:
Aren't no parking signs super heavy, especially with the metal pole? Those things don't blow over in wind.

Apparently it's easy as hell to shove a knife, or even a stick, through a skull, so let's just roll with it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds