October 09, 2023
2537 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2738 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Let's talk about Anime!

More
23 Dec 2013 13:17 #168419 by Shellhead

ZMan wrote: Wicked City

I forgot about that one. Watched it with my girlfriend, and remember her commenting halfway through, "There is an awful lot of rape in this anime."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Dec 2013 14:27 #168425 by Dogmatix

bioball wrote: I don't really think Ghost in the Shell is derivative of Blade Runner. Sure both attempt to answer the question of what makes someone "human" and it part of that having a soul of sorts. But I think they have vastly different approaches to that. Blade Runner is a strong product of the 80's where robots were "scary", but Ghost was born during a time of the internet and talk of uploading your consciousness. This is a wholly different crisis than Blade Runner considers. I think its easier to argue The Matrix is derivative of Ghost in the Shell.

Yea, I'd agree with that. The "What is human" question is what kind of stuck in my head...and I've come to hate "The Matrix as Cultural Touchstone" so much that it just never comes to mind at all. But you're definitely right.

Z-Man also rattles off a bunch of very, very accessible series for most folks. I'm a little surprised when I see FLCL and a few others pop up on here because the inescapable pedophilia [not talking chicks in school-girl outfits; talkin' daddy actively lusting after 10th grade girls] element in 'em can be pretty blatant. I know it's usually part of some "meta-" element to the thing, but it ain't exactly for the casual viewer.

A series that kind of took me by surprise in that way was Black Butler. It certainly had that "beautiful men with very tender attitudes toward each other" vibe to it, but it was a pretty interesting story. Until the last episode, when the whole thing suddenly took a very strong pedo-predator turn. It was kind of implied, not shown; but apparently the 2nd series was much, much more along the lines of a "chickenhawk" relationship. Very odd dynamic; shame though as the series was both interesting and fairly generally accessible up until the end.

More
23 Dec 2013 14:33 #168426 by Rliyen
Replied by Rliyen on topic Re: Let's talk about Anime!

Shellhead wrote:

hotseatgames wrote: Hmm... well maybe I'm remembering it incorrectly, or maybe Wandering Kid was one of the sequels. Yes, there are more than one Overfiend movie, and yes I think I saw at least 2 of them. I'm not proud.

The second one had the notorious Nazi Rape Machine. Glad I missed that.

I saw that one and thought, "What the fuck am I watching? Who actually gets aroused by this, if anyone?"

More
23 Dec 2013 14:36 #168427 by Rliyen

ZMan wrote: Other titles I remember:

Project A-ko
Bubblegum Crisis
Tank Squad (or something with Tank -Tank Dominion?)
Dirty Pair
Escaflowne (a full blown series)
Wicked City

Dominion: Tank Police. Where Anipuma and Unipuma do a striptease in front of the regular cops to a song sounding frighteningly familiar to "Relax", and then pulling out assault rifles out of *ahem* somewhere and blasting the place up. Fucking hysterical.

More
23 Dec 2013 16:07 #168434 by Ancient_of_MuMu
I remember finding this scene to be a real game changer with Anime for me:

I had previously thought stuff was OK, but apart from Robotech this was the first thing that I loved. The plot in Appleseed is derivative and the dialogue is abysmal, but there is something very John Woo about the action scenes and I love them to bits.

More
23 Dec 2013 17:25 #168437 by Rliyen

Shellhead wrote:

ZMan wrote: Wicked City

I forgot about that one. Watched it with my girlfriend, and remember her commenting halfway through, "There is an awful lot of rape in this anime."

Have you seen the HK version of this movie? Oh my God, it makes even less sense. In one scene, there's "intimacy" between a named bad guy and his subordinate (who's taken the form of a pinball machine, for some reason). o_0

More
23 Dec 2013 18:10 - 23 Dec 2013 18:11 #168440 by Erik Twice

Rliyen wrote: Dominion: Tank Police.

I just went to youtube to check it out and I can safely say the opening is the most 80s thing I've ever seen.

By the way, isn't Robotech a literal mixture of several unrelated series? How can that even work?
Last edit: 23 Dec 2013 18:11 by Erik Twice.

More
23 Dec 2013 18:46 #168443 by Ancient_of_MuMu

Erik Twice wrote:

Rliyen wrote: Dominion: Tank Police.

I just went to youtube to check it out and I can safely say the opening is the most 80s thing I've ever seen.

By the way, isn't Robotech a literal mixture of several unrelated series? How can that even work?

Episodes 1-36 are one series, 37-60 the next and 61-84 the third. It is treated like a sort of Star Trek thing, where each new series is the next generation down, so it surprisingly works, apart from the fact that the middle series is rubbish. Generally most people switch off after episode 36, as it feels complete at that point.

More
24 Dec 2013 07:01 #168455 by ThirstyMan
I have just used up an hour of my life watching the first two episodes of Planetes.

Seems like a trivial kids story set in space. The science is 'real', well wowee!! The story is boring and soap opera ish. If this is the best of anime, they can keep it. Maybe I'm just too old for this bullshit. Tedious teenage love angst, predictable hero worship, quirky characters and still a shitty story......

I will watch some more just to give it a fair crack but it's not looking good so far.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus

More
24 Dec 2013 12:40 - 24 Dec 2013 12:43 #168466 by Dr. Mabuse
I too am an old schooler. My list is pretty short and based more on nostalgia instead of quality.

Battle of the Planets
Astro-Boy
Golgo 13

Golgo 13 is intersting as I came to it through the video game for the NES. It was the first videogames I played that had cut scenes, as well as the infamous hotel hook-up sequence. WOWSA!

I haven't found anything recently that's been really enjoyable. I tried to watch some of the Marvel Anime (X-Men, Wolverine...bleh), Appleseed (confusing), Cowboy Beebop (2 or 3 episodes).

Ultimately, I don't think it's my bag.
Last edit: 24 Dec 2013 12:43 by Dr. Mabuse.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.785 seconds