October 09, 2023
2773 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2924 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

One Day Suspension from BGG

More
04 Nov 2011 00:39 - 04 Nov 2011 00:51 #107152 by mikecl
Yes that's right. I've been a user since 2006 and have never been suspended before. Here's a letter I sent them protesting it. Click on the links, read the offending posts and then read the rest of the letter to get the gist of it.

The background is that we spent 70 pages documenting a playtest of A Few Acres of Snow where we were collectively trying to come up for a solution to a tactic that apparently breaks the game. (It's referred to as the "Halifax Hammer" or HH).

At first we were trying to disprove the Original Poster's (OP) contention the game was broken because frankly we didn't believe it. But everything we did, only served to confirm it. Anyway a new thread was started at some point and joined by users who started acting like dicks. I let myself be baited and told them what I really thought of them.

Here's my letter disputing the ban:

Just for the record, I don't believe I was either trolling or being unreasonable in the two threads that were brought to your attention:

www.boardgamegeek.com/article/7785697#7785697 and www.boardgamegeek.com/article/7785206#7785206 .

In the first case, the user is arrogant and condescending and he got a reply which in my view was commensurate with his post. This user delivers his opinions as if they were divine enlightenment or the product of a PHD in Gameology. You'll see in his later posts, he flat out states things like "you're wrong."

In the second instance, Bigloo's question was insulting and deliberately meant to provoke and as you'll see led to me announcing my departure from the thread.

I've been a member here in good standing since 2006. I contribute to the forums, I post reviews, I upload files. I just started trading games. A sample of my posts will show you I'm generally helpful and supportive.

Just because some users here are a little cleverer insulting people and I'm a little more honest in my reply does not warrant a sanction.

I know it's only a day and not a big deal, but it's the principle of the thing. I often find BGG users to be thoughtful and helpful. But then there is a subset of arrogant and condescending nitpickers. I've seen Sphere, a veteran user here, respond to those people in much the same fashion as myself.

Anyway, thank you for the form letter. It was polite, restrained and informative. Job well done communicating an unpleasant decision. Still, I would ask you reconsider...and in exchange I'll try to phrase my responses more diplomatically.
Last edit: 04 Nov 2011 00:51 by mikecl.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Black Barney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Nov 2011 00:54 #107153 by Dogmatix
Ah, Dearlove...the British version of DDJ. He's one to be avoided engaging with as he comes with a negative modifier on your sanity-check save. By post #4, all your buttons will be pushed and you WILL find yourself typing "you pedantic cunt" without so much as a picosecond's hesitation....
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, mikecl, Fallen

More
04 Nov 2011 01:46 #107155 by Shellhead
It's been so long since I've even looked at the forums at BGG that I had to stop and think before I remembered who DDJ was. I never hated him, I just thought that he had a limited and almost robotic worldview.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
04 Nov 2011 02:25 #107160 by Schweig!
Let it be. Principles don't matter on BGG.

More
04 Nov 2011 03:58 - 04 Nov 2011 04:07 #107162 by Sagrilarus
I busted my ass to get a suspension on BGG just to break the howdy-doody image I had developed. That was a year ago.

A couple of weeks back I called Darillian a fool which, you know, is kind of like observing that plants are green and I got one of the auto-generated form letters telling me I needed to be more polite. I think it's the thing you get if enough people click on the X.

I worked damn hard for that first suspension then boing! I call a kettle black in a well-trafficked thread and I'm getting warnings in minutes.

I do agree though -- if you're clever about it you can call someone a jackass to their face. If you use plain language you'll get popped.

In my last article here of F:At I called every damn one of you an idiot and no one cared. Very different audience.

S.
Last edit: 04 Nov 2011 04:07 by Sagrilarus. Reason: You're all too goddam stupid to figure it out the way I wrote it the first time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Darilian

More
04 Nov 2011 06:24 #107165 by jur
Replied by jur on topic Re: One Day Suspension from BGG
What's the point of your post, Mike. People here already know that bgg moderstors are mindless bullies.

You only got a one day suspension. Even Sag has managed that. It doesn't count.

After your suspension is over, will you run.right back, or do you intend to hang around here?
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Hatchling

More
04 Nov 2011 08:07 - 04 Nov 2011 08:10 #107167 by tscook
Come back when your next time in is a month, kid.

Edit: I just tried to follow that thread and I can't without feeling an overwhelming sense of shame.
Last edit: 04 Nov 2011 08:10 by tscook.

More
04 Nov 2011 08:23 - 04 Nov 2011 08:29 #107169 by bomber
amateur!

keep going, you'll get there!
See if you can delete your own account and retire, then, in a moment of tenderness as you try to use your wifes account to explain why you left to the nicer people there, you get the admins there frantically deleting your explanation and then "banning you" for life. They have some.. special.. people there, special needs perhaps. I once wasted an entire day trying to talk to hall prefect brian about why it was OK to ask about setting up a BGG online league for Memoir 44 to be told in no uncertain terms that it wasnt the same as the board game, no, it comes on the computer, it should be on VGG. This morning I checked in there to grab a rulebook and what was at the top of the review list, yep, a review of the PC AI version of race for the galaxy.

anyway, don't take any advice from me, that site turns me into the Tourette Hulk. Away from there I like to arrange flowers and do crochet.
Last edit: 04 Nov 2011 08:29 by bomber.

More
04 Nov 2011 09:59 #107172 by Mr Skeletor
The problem is that you are under the mistaken belief that the moderation system is a eurogame. It's not. It's 100% ameritrash - Games Workshop style totally random event table ameritrash.
The 2 posts you got banned for havn't even collapsed, so fuck all people have reported them. My posts colapse all the time, yet I havn't heard so much as "boo" from a moderator. It's illogical.

Deleting my account and disapearing for a while was the best move I ever did since not having a moderator always breathing down my neck has allowed makes posting on there a hell of a lot more enjoyable.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mikecl

More
04 Nov 2011 11:45 #107179 by Hatchling
Mike, I know it's not your fault that I decided against my better judgment to browse the thread you linked to, but I'm blaming you anyway. Thanks for the dose of mind-numbing geek pedantry, jerk.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Dogmatix, Ancient_of_MuMu, mikecl, Fallen

More
04 Nov 2011 12:04 #107182 by SuperflyPete
Remember the cardinal rule of BGG: "Don't DIRECTLY attack".

Instead of "Jesus, you're acting like a total cunt", say, "Jesus, I always considered people that act like that to be cunts. But that's just my opinion."

Don't sweat it. A day off of BGG lets you do other things with your time. And that's a good thing.

I've been banned 6 times, I think. Last one was 2 weeks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mikecl

More
04 Nov 2011 13:13 - 04 Nov 2011 13:14 #107184 by Stephen Avery

Dogmatix wrote: Ah, Dearlove...the British version of DDJ. He's one to be avoided engaging with as he comes with a negative modifier on your sanity-check save. By post #4, all your buttons will be pushed and you WILL find yourself typing "you pedantic cunt" without so much as a picosecond's hesitation....

It is prose like this that makes me love reading dogmatix's posts. I especially like when he gets wound up about something because I can envision him frothing at the mouth ready to tear a new one into the offending party. I've only met him once but phrases like this roll off his tongue without a seconds hesitation. I think it is a gift.

Steve"More Dogma!"Avery
Last edit: 04 Nov 2011 13:14 by Stephen Avery.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur

More
04 Nov 2011 13:18 #107185 by san il defanso
I've never gotten a ban, or even a warning from BGG. I feel like I must not be trying hard enough.

DDJ almost pushed me to really lay into him. He effectively derailed my Dominion review thread a year or two ago. But whatever, I'm not the type who ever feels better after really letting someone have it. I kind of envy those who do.

Kind of.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dogmatix

More
04 Nov 2011 13:36 #107187 by Msample
I got my first warning recently when I gave a snarky reply to fucking Grogtard, the hooplehead who likes to use colored fonts like a 7 year old with a box of new Crayolas. Still working on trying to get an actual banning, but I don't have the energy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JoelCFC25

More
04 Nov 2011 14:13 #107189 by Ken B.
There are absolute useless loud-mouthed passive-aggressive dickweeds wandering BGG every day. Some of the shit they say just blows my mind.

I call 'em out on it when I've seen enough. Sometimes it just slides. Other times I get 1-day suspensions. I'm often labeled a "nice guy" and yet I think I've had 2 or 3 1-day'ers.

Fuck 'em, and fuck BGG's moderation policy too. Frank's right--it's complete and utter random bullshit. People get to be douchebag fuckwads that run more people off the site than someone saying, "hey, you're a douchebag fuckwad" but it's the douchebag fuckwads that get the 'protection'.

Sometimes I get cheerful about BGG again and wander in to participate. Then I get reminded why I don't usually do that anymore.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur, Rliyen

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.256 seconds