October 09, 2023
2515 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2715 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

NASA says warp speed possible

More
21 Sep 2012 23:12 #134839 by Dogmatix

Michael Barnes wrote: Not quite. Why don't we get Black Barney to tell us about the Canadian Space Program?

Damnit; that would have been a perfect close to my ranty second post (though, I believe that the Freakout Friday-appropriate term for our northern neighbors is "Frostbacks"). I'm ashamed to have missed that.

Since I know next to nothing about the Candian Space Agency, I decided to check out their website ( www.asc-csa.gc.ca/eng/default.asp ). Their webpage would lead one to believe that one of their top "priorities" is investigating the War of 1812. (I presume that "Priorities" box is some bit of national government-mandated messaging/branding design but it seems so out of place as to be jarring.)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Sep 2012 23:20 #134840 by ubarose

charlieturtle wrote: The fact that anyone would even make a statement on preliminary science is only to get peoples juices flowing.

I lika da juice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
21 Sep 2012 23:32 - 21 Sep 2012 23:34 #134841 by SuperflyPete

Michael Barnes wrote: 3. That Barnes can't do any better than a shot across the the bow at Canada in a vain attempt to stir some freakout

There's no bow to shoot across. Canada has no spaceship.

BARNES FTW

ubarose wrote:
I lika da juice.

Even after he killed his wife and her lover? Even after he robbed some cats in Vegas? Naked Gun must've made a real fan out of you!
Last edit: 21 Sep 2012 23:34 by SuperflyPete.

More
21 Sep 2012 23:45 #134842 by KingPut
I really like how they put laces on space ship football. Maybe NASA is trying to get Bud Light or Miller Lite to sponsor the cool space ship football.
The following user(s) said Thank You: engineer Al

More
22 Sep 2012 00:01 #134843 by engineer Al
Ya know, if NASA was really interested in international communication, the football spaceship would be round.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
22 Sep 2012 00:18 - 22 Sep 2012 00:25 #134844 by Bullwinkle

Michael Barnes wrote: There's no bow to shoot across. Canada has no spaceship.

Last edit: 22 Sep 2012 00:25 by Bullwinkle.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete, Fallen

More
22 Sep 2012 06:53 #134851 by ThirstyMan

charlieturtle wrote: Even NASA still admits that Warp Drive is still in the speculation phase.

So 'speculation phase' just means 'watching Star Trek when you're trashed and making shit up'.

Anyway, couple of days ago my students were talking about manned Mars trips while I was poo pooing the idea for at least a couple of generations. Only reason NASA had moon landings in the first place, was due to the competition of the cold war and that was hugely expensive.

Personally, why the fuck aren't we exploring the 70% of this planet we know nothing about...the oceans? Shit, it would be a lot easier technologically speaking, to put cities on the ocean floor as opposed to colonising the moon. At least there is already fucking oxygen and water down there. OK pressure is super high but, one would have thought, an equivalent tech problem re zero pressure in space.Lack of meteorites and radiation ought to help as well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SaMoKo

More
22 Sep 2012 10:26 - 22 Sep 2012 10:28 #134855 by repoman
Fuck, Andy! For a smart guy sometimes you say some stupid shit.

Look, why don't we have cities on the ocean floor?

Three words:

Giant Squids!

There are no Giant Squids in space!

Last edit: 22 Sep 2012 10:28 by repoman.

More
22 Sep 2012 11:51 #134856 by ThirstyMan
Well better them than Predators, Aliens and those scary little martian fuckers with ray guns.

And the bastard Romulans ,Borg and Klingons come to that.

Squid can fuck right off, especially as I had some for dinner the other day.

More
22 Sep 2012 12:22 #134857 by charlieturtle

ThirstyMan wrote:

charlieturtle wrote: Even NASA still admits that Warp Drive is still in the speculation phase.

So 'speculation phase' just means 'watching Star Trek when you're trashed and making shit up'.

Anyway, couple of days ago my students were talking about manned Mars trips while I was poo pooing the idea for at least a couple of generations. Only reason NASA had moon landings in the first place, was due to the competition of the cold war and that was hugely expensive.

It's two things, we want to show the world we still have the largest balls on the planet. We also do things like this to have an excuse to suck up the best scientists in a field so they aren't developing weapons for other countries.

ThirstyMan wrote: Personally, why the fuck aren't we exploring the 70% of this planet we know nothing about...the oceans? Shit, it would be a lot easier technologically speaking, to put cities on the ocean floor as opposed to colonising the moon. At least there is already fucking oxygen and water down there. OK pressure is super high but, one would have thought, an equivalent tech problem re zero pressure in space.Lack of meteorites and radiation ought to help as well.

We are exploring down there. New findings are occuring all the time. But unless James Cameron's name is attached it never gets any press.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.485 seconds