October 09, 2023
2538 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2738 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Miniature Market Having a Sale

More
21 May 2014 07:18 #178563 by repoman
Some pretty good stuff for cheap over there. Check it out.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 May 2014 10:28 #178573 by VonTush
I'd be nice if you could filter out the Out of Stock items...It'd cut out about 1/2 the items to wade through.

More
21 May 2014 13:29 #178589 by SuperflyPete
FRP Games always has 80% of their stock on sale. They're slower to ship and you have to pay for shipping, but for a miniatures place, you cannot beat it.

More
21 May 2014 16:15 #178614 by Sagrilarus
www.miniaturemarket.com/krm-krm230.html

Fifty dollars for a cardboard carrying case. Fifty dollars, cardboard. Something doesn't compute there.

More
21 May 2014 17:10 - 21 May 2014 17:12 #178622 by VonTush
Does a hooker with an eight-ball pop out of it?

EDIT: Ahh...It looks like it has foam trays in there as well.
Last edit: 21 May 2014 17:12 by VonTush.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hex Sinister

More
22 May 2014 08:04 #178666 by Dogmatix

Sagrilarus wrote: www.miniaturemarket.com/krm-krm230.html

Fifty dollars for a cardboard carrying case. Fifty dollars, cardboard. Something doesn't compute there.

The empty cardboard case is about $8. It's the wings-of-war-specific precut foam inserts in there that run about $12 each. I love KR's stuff [have 2 of the quad aluminum cases for all my WoW stuff and some misc other] but the prices are hard to swallow. That said, they're cheaper and ship faster than Battlefoam. I gave up on "pluck your own" foam trays after every single type I tried separated from the base at one point or another. Probably not a big deal if you've got 2 Ultramarine Land Raiders in the tray, but a bunch of small planes with a few decks of cards? Nightmare. Cards just kind of "shuffling themselves" as they slide through spots where the foam separated. Now, I don't care what it costs, the foam experts can cut the shit to spec for me.

[If you want Battlefoam stuff, I suggest buying from NobleKnight. You don't get hammered on shipping time or cost as you do buying factory-direct, and it's generally a couple of bucks cheaper to boot. I was stunned the first time I went to order something from BFoam direct and the shipping from Arizona to Virginia was quoted at nearly $80. Ended up buying the exact same bag/tray combo from NobleKnight at 10% lower price and all of $12 for shipping from Wisconsin.]

More
22 May 2014 08:29 #178668 by wadenels
The last time I really seriously wanted to use foam was for all me Talisman 3e minis. I have two base games and all the expansions, so there's kind of a lot. They're brittle.

I just bought 2" green craft store foam.
1) Draw the shapes on it in magic marker.
2) Cut out the shapes.
3) Cut all the cut-out plugs so they're 1/3 as tall as they were.
4) Put the plugs back in on the magic marker side.
5) Glue the magic marker side and plugs to a piece of cardboard.
6) Enjoy stiff thick foam tray.

Took about a half-hour to do.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SebastianBludd, Sagrilarus

More
22 May 2014 12:48 #178693 by Sagrilarus
I'm in cheap plano boxes with fabric above and below. Haven't broken anything yet, and the $100 saved could buy me 12 additional planes.

Conversely, I could break 12 planes throwing them in a cardboard box and still be even repurchasing them.

More
22 May 2014 20:17 #178726 by Dogmatix

Sagrilarus wrote: I'm in cheap plano boxes with fabric above and below. Haven't broken anything yet, and the $100 saved could buy me 12 additional planes.

Conversely, I could break 12 planes throwing them in a cardboard box and still be even repurchasing them.

I've had less good fortune than you when it comes to Plano and "Noun of Adjective"-type models. Busted wings on 2 X-wings and 2 biplanes (SPADs IIRC) catastrophically convert into monoplanes thanks to not *quite* fitting in the tray plano box of choice. The WoW-specific cut-foam trays keep planes and decks together--which is, IMO, kind of critical when you're at the point of measuring your collection by gross weight rather than net models.

I offset the expense of the storage solution by having far fewer of those resource-leeching children than you. Also saved me thousands in cash and the untold shame that comes with the horrors of a minivan, SUV, or other such Family VeeeHickle that is apparently mandatory once you collect more than 1 child or supplement your 1 child with any 1 or more dog of large spaniel size or above.... >;)

(The WoW incident probably was a 1 in 10,000 shot of getting the physics on the lid *just* right; X-wings just don't have a great storage solution if you've got a reasonably diverse set of models. Now I'm not concerned at all because I can drop this aluminum case with its foam trays down a flight of stairs and not so much as shuffle the cards, let alone damage a model--thanks to having actually--rather inadvertently--performed that particular "1x12-foot down-slope bounce test," I can vouch for the performance. The flight stand stems rattled about a bunch because I left them loose in the trays, but nothing beyond that... Of course I was idiot for looping another bag around the handle, setting it down at the top of the stairs, and getting distracted by some shiny object. With the center of gravity now high up the handle, it took the merest of brushes by one of the cats to shift the bag tied to the handles into something more a trebuchet-like counterweight and ass-over-teakettle it went... ).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
23 May 2014 08:55 #178747 by Sagrilarus

Dogmatix wrote: Also saved me thousands in cash and the untold shame that comes with the horrors of a minivan, SUV, or other such Family VeeeHickle that is apparently mandatory once you collect more than 1 child or supplement your 1 child with any 1 or more dog of large spaniel size or above.... >;)

Not mandatory, just smart.

It's a free country of course, and you can spend your money as you please. What I find curious is that I seem to have a different set of personal priorities from most people I interact with in gaming. Materials such as this, custom boxes, card sleeves . . . I seem to take a pride in half-assing my solutions instead of going upscale on them.

In a lot of ways I think I have more in common with my dad's generation than my sister's. Fifty dollars for this foam box seems absurd to me. I appreciate why the product is out there and I don't begrudge anyone buying it, but it almost looks like surrender to me. A personal issue obviously, as this stuff sells.

I have my cards separate from my models. Central Powers in one stack, Entente in another, and each deck in a ziplock that has the base, stands, and deck in it ready to go with a copy of the airplane card on each side facing out. Backward/forward doesn't matter. I lift the stack out, fan it on the table and the result is that each plane's deck is immediately apparent. Grab a ziplock and a plane and you're good to go. I have 32 planes plus all of their supporting materials in two plano boxes.

S.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.178 seconds