October 09, 2023
2518 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2720 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

What Blogs/Podcasts/VCasts do you consume?

More
25 Jun 2014 11:24 - 25 Jun 2014 11:56 #181183 by charlest
I'm looking for more content to read/listen to/watch so I thought this would be a good idea for a thread. I'm leaving out F:AT on here, because, obviously.

Blogs
Jamey Stegmaier's blog is pretty good. I mostly read it because he's local, and he's a good guy. I'm not a huge fan of his games.
stonemaiergames.com/jamey-stegmaier/

I also regularly read hockeybuzz.com, typically when I'm eating lunch at work. It's how I keep up with hockey trades/rumors/player movement.
www.hockeybuzz.com

Podcasts
I listen to the Dice Tower regularly. I walk every day at lunch and need something to listen to, and contrary to FAT popular opinion I actually like Tom.
www.dicetower.com/

I also listen to the D6 Generation. I access their blog through their iOS app, which is pretty nice. Usually listen to them when mowing the lawn as it's a very long podcast and won't end before I'm done.
www.thed6generation.com/

VCasts
I don't watch too many of Tom's reviews, but I do watch the Dice Tower Top 10's and the occasional Board Game Breakfast. A lot of times I will just listen to the audio while I'm walking or driving.

I will also occasionally watch/listen to Joel Eddy's Drive Through Reviews and Lance Myxter's Undead Vikings Reviews. I wish Lance was a litte more concise in his content, but both him and Joel are awesome guys (we review for the same site).
Last edit: 25 Jun 2014 11:56 by charlest.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jun 2014 11:36 #181185 by bfkiller
Hockeybuzz drives me bonkers. Eklund must make up most of that stuff out of thin air. I prefer Spectors Hockey Rumors . He doesn't try to be the guy who breaks stories. Instead he compiles various rumors from credible reporters (he almost never references Eklund because he's not credible). Spector generally dumps cold water on pretty much any rumor, so he's a bit of a Debbie Downer to all that hype, but at least he's realistic.

More
25 Jun 2014 11:50 #181186 by hotseatgames
The only one I never miss is the Giant Bomb bombcast.

I often listen to the Plaid Hat podcast, and caustic soda podcast.

More rarely I will listen to a nerdist podcast or a dice tower podcast.

More
25 Jun 2014 11:55 #181187 by charlest

bfkiller wrote: Hockeybuzz drives me bonkers. Eklund must make up most of that stuff out of thin air. I prefer Spectors Hockey Rumors . He doesn't try to be the guy who breaks stories. Instead he compiles various rumors from credible reporters (he almost never references Eklund because he's not credible). Spector generally dumps cold water on pretty much any rumor, so he's a bit of a Debbie Downer to all that hype, but at least he's realistic.

Oh for sure, but it's entertaining as hell. The comments are pretty good too.

More
25 Jun 2014 12:14 #181189 by Sagrilarus
Am I the only guy that listens to Guns Dice and Butter?

More
25 Jun 2014 12:36 #181191 by jeb
Gaming related? Pretty much nothing without FATCast. I am subscribed to Video Game Hangover, but I haven't listened in a couple of months.

I am a regular for RadioLab and This American Life though. And I stay current on The Moth as well. When those are wiped out, I listen to the Savage Lovecast, but at 1.5x because they are loooong.

More
25 Jun 2014 12:37 - 25 Jun 2014 12:38 #181192 by ChristopherMD
I've never listened to a podcast. I usually listen to music or audio dramas.
Last edit: 25 Jun 2014 12:38 by ChristopherMD.

More
25 Jun 2014 12:54 #181193 by bfkiller
Oh, and the only video podcast I watch is Norm MacDonald Live . Oftentimes hilarious, but you also get some neat stories / history from comedy insiders.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy

More
25 Jun 2014 12:55 - 25 Jun 2014 12:55 #181194 by dave
No Blogs or VCasts.

I recently did a huge podcast purge - many that I've listened to for years - with the arrival of Slate's daily podcast The Gist with Mike Pesca; the sports podcast where I discovered him was one of the victims. The ones I kept were Freakonomics (for my daughter), The Moth, Manager Tools, Career Tools, and NPR Education. I also subscribe to two weekly Grateful Dead podcasts as I like it as background music.
Last edit: 25 Jun 2014 12:55 by dave.

More
25 Jun 2014 14:00 - 25 Jun 2014 14:07 #181195 by OldHippy
Norm MacDonald Live is fucking brilliant. There is some conceptual high art pieces that go into that video podcast but it never gets pretentious because the focus is always on being funny. It's a video podcast for sure but the audio alone is still great. Best thing on the market right now and I highly anticipate each Monday just for that show.

I listen to WTF on occasion, depending on the guest. Maron is a good interviewer you'd just never know he was a comedian unless he mentions it. He's not particularly funny, but the show is good.

I started listening to the Brett Easton Ellis podcast and it's great. Pretentious as all hell and not funny, but he's such an asshole contrarian that he's still interesting to listen to and he comes up with some really interesting idea's. Small doses only though.

I also listen to You Made it Weird, the Pete Holmes podcast. I'm not a huge fan of Pete but if he's interviewing a comedian I like I'll tune it. I like how there is always a religious section in the interview so you get to hear all the comedians you like discuss metaphysics to some degree. Although, no surprise here, almost all of them are Atheists, so it does get boring hearing the same anti-religion arguments every week.
Last edit: 25 Jun 2014 14:07 by OldHippy.

More
25 Jun 2014 15:06 #181197 by san il defanso
I used to be a big podcast listener, but now I've basically pared down to these ones:

The BS Report - I like Bill Simmons a lot, though he often covers stuff I don't really care about. He gets a lot more rotation when football season comes around.

WTF - Maron is maybe my favorite interviewer ever. Again, this is mostly dependent on who he's talking to.

The Takedown Notice - A big reason I listen to it is because it's the podcast I'm in, but I'm really proud of it too. We at least have a podcast that I would want to listen to even if I wasn't involved, so that's nice.

No gaming podcasts really anymore. I really liked Game On with Cody and John though.

More
25 Jun 2014 16:05 #181200 by Msample

Sagrilarus wrote: Am I the only guy that listens to Guns Dice and Butter?

Nope. I have listened to all of them, and was actually a guest on one early episode. That said, I wish he'd branch out a bit. He tends towards borderline hero worship of older monster game designers .

And the fucking music interludes add 20 mins per episode.

charlest wrote:
Podcasts

I also listen to the D6 Generation. I access their blog through their iOS app, which is pretty nice. Usually listen to them when mowing the lawn as it's a very long podcast and won't end before I'm done.
www.thed6generation.com/

I tried a couple, but way too much stupid chatter vs actual game content.

More
25 Jun 2014 16:21 #181202 by DeletedUser
I commute three hours per day using public transport so I consume a lot of podcasts and Vcasts. All of them are gaming related because I really love this hobby. I have tried listening to almost every gaming-related podcast out there and whittled them down to just a few favourites.

Regular podcast listener of:
The Dice Tower
The D6 Generation
The Secret Cabal Gaming Podcast
The Plaid Hat Podcast
Board Game Pirate Cast
and have just started listening to the new Escapist Magazine Podcast - Tabletop Edition.

I also listen to the F:ATCast when it comes out, but it's so sporadic that I don't lump it in with the regulars above.

Regular Vcast watcher of:
The Dice Tower Top Ten (watch this almost solely for the interaction between the hosts - Zee and Sam crack me up)
Boardgame Breakfast (but I always skip the Scott Nicholson and Tablet games segments)

I also watch a lot of Tom Vasel's video reviews, often just skipping past the game explanation to get to his thoughts on the game and then going back if it looks like something I'd be interested in.

I think that's about it. With my commute I manage to keep up-to-date with all of them which is a scary thought.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.746 seconds