October 09, 2023
2579 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2776 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Friday - TOYS - get off my lawn edition

More
26 Feb 2016 14:35 #223371 by boothwah
Another Friday backing up the hard drive and killing time...

Things I've recently had to explain to my kids that were once a thing and why i dearly loved them :

Weeble Wobbles
Tinker Toys
Silly Putty

Stompers! I don't know why these still aren't a thing -
The following user(s) said Thank You: bendgar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Feb 2016 14:42 #223373 by the_jake_1973
I loved these Demolition Derby cars:

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse

More
26 Feb 2016 16:18 #223378 by Michael Barnes
Ha, I forgot about those...I had some of them.

I had a weeble race track...you put them on there and maybe they wobbled to the finish line, maybe not. I also had some kind of treehouse or something for them.

Gosh, what a dumb toy.

More
26 Feb 2016 16:56 #223379 by Legomancer
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse

More
26 Feb 2016 17:28 - 26 Feb 2016 17:28 #223381 by wadenels
I was just talking to a coworker about Hot Wheels stuff we had as kids and it turned out we both spent way too many hours being amused by the Hot Wheels Sto and Go Service Station:

Last edit: 26 Feb 2016 17:28 by wadenels.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bendgar, Msample, Black Barney, Columbob, Frohike

More
26 Feb 2016 17:43 #223385 by MacDirk Diggler
Man. If you didn't have Evel Knievel Stunt Cycle you led a deprived childhood.

Here is a video somebody made of "Insane Jesus" jump. We were doing that all day long after school. Good times.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse, Cranberries

More
26 Feb 2016 18:23 #223387 by bendgar
My kids and I play with Tinker Toys and Construx almost daily. Construx are still awesome.

More
26 Feb 2016 18:34 #223389 by Michael Barnes
Stow and Go Service Station...wow. I haven't thought about that thing in 30 or more years. How many cars did I send down that ramp.

My son got an Erector (well, Meccano) set for his birthday. Of course, he had that rite of passage we all had when you get one and realize that it's actually pretty fucking hard to put together, not like Lego. I think he still hasn't built one of the 50 or so models it makes and I wouldn't help him because he got super emotional about it for no reason.

It's easy to remember all of the "big" toys like Star Wars, GI Joe, Transformers, etc. but I love reminiscing about these more obscure ones.

What was the name of that line where the main figure was a green, swamp thing-looking dude made out of some kind of weird stretchy stuff that came in a gibbet? You could like tear him apart and put him back together or something and there was some slime you could dunk him in. Hoo boy, those 80s.

I still have bits and pieces of my beloved vehicle Voltron. Damn, I wish I had that whole thing. I remember being at Pennys and being given the choice between lion Voltron and vehicle Voltron and I went with the latter because everybody else had the Golion one. I was such a hipster. Now I would consider punching a nun to get either one back.

How about Max Steel's Robo Force? That one with the propeller on his head, I loved that one.

Captain Power? The only kid I knew that had it was this dirt-poor boy called Will Brown that lived in the WORST apartments I've ever seen. I risked spending the night there once to play with it. And then called my parents to come pick me up.

Of course, one of my all time favorites...SHOGUN WARRIORS....I cry whenever I see them, I loved them so much. I had all of them, had no idea that they were Brave Raydeen, Danguard Ace, Mazinger and so forth at the time. I also had a lot of the smaller die-cast vehicles and toys, all of which are worth a fortune now.

Micronauts...Baron fucking Karza. What a toy! I had the white one and the black one. Man, that thing ruled.

More
26 Feb 2016 18:51 - 26 Feb 2016 18:53 #223390 by jeb
Pretty sad we're this deep in the thread and not talking about Micronauts yet. Or even Rom: Spaceknight.

There was Krusher--a big ass green thing that inflated itself. Not to be confused with Suckerman, who had suckers.

I remember MadBalls.

I shoplifted a zillion M.U.S.C.L.E. Men from The Fair before getting caught.

I almost killed my stepmother with a Jart, and not on purpose or anything, she's a nice person--they just really were crazy dangerous.

///waiting for some of the real old-timers to show up and tell us about how their toys were guns and pieces of wood that looked like guns and knives you could use to kill things when your gun jammed.
Last edit: 26 Feb 2016 18:53 by jeb.

More
26 Feb 2016 18:56 #223391 by Michael Barnes
I was in a Woolworth with grandma once and she shoplifted an X-Wing pilot Luke for me. "Grandma, why aren't you paying for it?"

I was just thinking about Krusher...what an annoying toy. I had it, but I kind of hated it!

Madballs, I just had the skull one. The others I didn't really like. But I liked the comic book for some reason. Several issues were in the cabinet in the bathroom for years.

More
26 Feb 2016 19:01 #223392 by Michael Barnes
I Google image searched Krusher and it led to an image of a plastic Godzilla I LOVED when I was like four. Turns out it was from this thing, which I remember getting for my birthday.

But here's the thing. I didn't have "Tricephalon"! It wasn't in the box. So it was just a Godzilla playset, really. It's funny though, all these years I misremembered it as King Ghidorah...which it was probably supposed to be.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3

More
26 Feb 2016 19:03 #223393 by Michael Barnes
HA HA! I just read the blog post where that picture was-

A timeless classic. When I recieved this as a youngster, the battleship was missing, so they tossed in an extra Tricephalon Monster. I wasn't complaining!

This dude got my Tricephalon!
The following user(s) said Thank You: bfkiller

More
26 Feb 2016 19:04 #223394 by Michael Barnes
Anybody else have this one?

More
26 Feb 2016 19:22 #223395 by Frohike
Crossbows & Catapults!

The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, allismom3, SebastianBludd, Columbob, Ancient_of_MuMu, birdman37, the_jake_1973

More
26 Feb 2016 19:42 #223396 by wadenels
I had a bunch of M.U.S.C.L.E. too!

I just realized I was playing some version of Mad Max as a kid before I was ever aware of the movies. The Sto and Go was the only civilization and the rest of the basement was the wastelands. The tables and sofas were massive cliffs, and the wilds were roaming with M.U.S.C.L.E. marauders. Those pink bastards were the antithesis of all that was just.

Shit got real when Optimus showed up.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Camshaft

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.382 seconds