October 09, 2023
2546 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2741 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Welcome to one of the oldest board game communities on the Internet. That may sound like hyperbole but it really is true.

We are really happy to have you here. Unfortunately, being online we can't bond with you over a game so you'd know right away how happy we are to meet you. For now, you'll just have to take our word for it.

This site has always thrived on lively discussion and spirited but civil debate. We hope that newcomers here will find a welcoming atmosphere where game enthusiasts of all levels of experience and commitment will have something to add to the conversation. You never need to prove your “gamer cred” here. Whether you have been playing board games for a few months or a few decades; whether you have a huge collection or a small one; whether you have been a member here for years or just joined today – your opinion is valued here.

We know that it can be intimidating to jump into a new community and want to assure you that this is NOT the kind of forum where people will tell you that you posted something in the wrong place, or that you should have found an existing thread on the topic, or that you shouldn’t have resurrected an old thread.

So if you find a thread or an article discussion that interests you, whether it is old or new, feel free to jump in. Want to discuss a specific game or board gaming related topic just start a new topic. If you don’t know which forum to put it in, just make your best guess (we really don’t care all that much. It’s easy enough for a moderator to move it or merge it, if necessary).

A good place to get started is by introducing yourself in the “New Members Introduce Yourself” thread (below) or by telling us what you have been playing in the “What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?" thread ( therewillbe.games/forum/35-mos-eisley-ca...ave-you-been-playing ).

Have fun, and we look forward to hearing from you.

Explain Your Avatar

More
09 Sep 2010 18:28 - 09 Sep 2010 18:29 #73524 by jhuntin1
Replied by jhuntin1 on topic Re:Explain Your Avatar
SanIlDefanso wrote:

mikoyan wrote:

jhuntin1 wrote:

All you guys with your awesome stories and sources for where you got yours... sheesh. Mine's just the helmet of my favorite college football team (Nebraska Cornhuskers).

Welcome to the conference that can't count. As long as you hate Ohio State Michigan, we'll get along just fine.

Fixed that for you.

I hate both teams, so unfortunately you'll probably both hate me. I hate Notre Dame more if that counts for anything.

Living in Indiana I was psyched to see Nebraska join the Big 10/11/new12/whatever. Then I saw the division split and see that they're not coming to Indiana or Purdue until at least 2013. Now I'm a sad panda...
Last edit: 09 Sep 2010 18:29 by jhuntin1.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Sep 2010 19:10 #73532 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Re:Explain Your Avatar
I grew up in Indiana and went to IU, but I think the Big Ten should be re-named the Big Dumb. 10 does not equal 12.

More
09 Sep 2010 23:59 #73551 by ozjesting
Replied by ozjesting on topic Re:Explain Your Avatar
My old laptop died and with it was my little collection of avatars. Now I cant be bothered getting them again. I usually have a Blood Bowl star player, Prince Moronian of the High Elves, but here I sport good old Helo from BSG. This was from the most excellent forum game held here awhile back in which the Cylons, led by Helo, made the universe safe for toasters!

Of course what I should have is the smoking crow from the Black Crowes...but Helo fits here quite nicely.

More
16 Sep 2010 16:13 #74204 by MrZir
Replied by MrZir on topic Re:Explain Your Avatar
I like the winged look of the Bently and Aston Martin symbols and wanted to do someting similar. Pegasus was the first thing that I thought of, so I edited a screenshot of the old Tristar pictures logo animation. I want to edit it further and give it a more silver/chrome look so that it more closely resembles a car marque, someday.

More
16 Sep 2010 16:29 #74205 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Re:Explain Your Avatar
Dr. Mabuse wrote:

The Testement of Doktor Mabuse is one of my favourite films. Initially my avatar at the Fort was based on the cover of the Criterion Collection edition, (which I still use on the Geek).

Dr. Mabuse made a surprise cameo appearance in Stalking the Vampire, by Mike Resnick. It's a mildly humorous story set in a fantasy version of Manhattan.

More
17 Sep 2010 16:50 - 17 Sep 2010 17:21 #74314 by Dogmatix
Replied by Dogmatix on topic Re:Explain Your Avatar
My current avatar is probably pretty self-explanatory: Grateful Dead fan and Philadelphia Flyers (NHL) die-hard.

Schweig! wrote:
Awesome! But doesn't change the fact that Waits sucks a herd of donkey balls.

And yet one more reason on the list why I must focus all my wargaming nerd-rage on you and only you. (Speaking of which, let me know when South Mountain lands :) )

My original avatar should probably make a comeback shortly (I changed it out for the current at the start of the 2010 hockey playoffs). That was scan of Dogmatix from one of the Asterix the Gaul comics. I was introduced to Asterix & Obelix in my highschool French classes and thought that the pun in both the original French name and the English translation were clever. I've been using it as my online handle for just about everything since I got my first email account at Marquette in 1988 (a play on "dogmatic" seemed really appropriate for life at Jesuit university). Based on the ease with which I've been able to register the name just about everywhere over the years, chances are very good that, if you see a "dogmatix" online somewhere other than a french-based site, it's me.

To loter's "use your real name as your handle", well, my rule has long been "use a name that you don't mind being called if you ever meet this person in real life." There are a few local friends I met through online gaming 10+ years ago that will call me "Dog" no matter what. I'm good with that.

I have, however, been amazed at the number of people who read "Dogmatix" as "Dot Matrix" or, as some here have, "DogMatrix," which sounds like a bit like a surfer version of Neo...

On the name, stolen from Wikipedia:

"Dogmatix is a pun on the words dog and dogmatic. In the original French his name is Idéfix, itself a pun on the French expression idée fixe (fixed idea) meaning an obsession. This pun is unusual for a translation in that it is remarkably close to the original meaning and adds to it (by inclusion of the dog- syllable)."

Last edit: 17 Sep 2010 17:21 by Dogmatix.

More
17 Sep 2010 17:23 #74323 by Schweig!
Replied by Schweig! on topic Re:Explain Your Avatar
Dogmatix wrote:

And yet one more reason on the list why I must focus all my wargaming nerd-rage on you and only you. (Speaking of which, let me know when South Mountain lands :) )

Oh well, Idefix was my favourite Asterix "character", however. No sightings of South Mountain yet, though. But parcels usually arrive on Saturday morning when I'm sleeping.

Oh yeah, I haven't mentioned yet that I use a different username on every site I register at (excluding e-mail registration). It's paranoia mixed with creativity. I also use a handful of different passwords which I alternate between site.

More
18 Sep 2010 09:14 #74371 by Schweig!
Replied by Schweig! on topic Re:Explain Your Avatar
Schweig! wrote:

But parcels usually arrive on Saturday morning when I'm sleeping.

As I said.

More
18 Sep 2010 13:32 #74385 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Re:Explain Your Avatar
My avatar is simple: I was driving back from a sales call with a guy and he noted that every time he talks to me, I'm on the damned phone in the car. So, he snapped a shot to use as his "personal screen" when I call.

I asked him for a copy, and it sat for weeks. Then, a site my articles syndicate on asked me to become a Staff Writer, which I laughed at, but they offered some access to review games I couldn't normally get, so I told them I was fine with it. They asked for a photo...and there it was. So, I've been using it ever since.

More
19 Sep 2010 22:32 #74480 by Jarvis
Replied by Jarvis on topic Re:Explain Your Avatar
Not a cylon.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.217 seconds