October 09, 2023
2546 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2741 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Welcome to one of the oldest board game communities on the Internet. That may sound like hyperbole but it really is true.

We are really happy to have you here. Unfortunately, being online we can't bond with you over a game so you'd know right away how happy we are to meet you. For now, you'll just have to take our word for it.

This site has always thrived on lively discussion and spirited but civil debate. We hope that newcomers here will find a welcoming atmosphere where game enthusiasts of all levels of experience and commitment will have something to add to the conversation. You never need to prove your “gamer cred” here. Whether you have been playing board games for a few months or a few decades; whether you have a huge collection or a small one; whether you have been a member here for years or just joined today – your opinion is valued here.

We know that it can be intimidating to jump into a new community and want to assure you that this is NOT the kind of forum where people will tell you that you posted something in the wrong place, or that you should have found an existing thread on the topic, or that you shouldn’t have resurrected an old thread.

So if you find a thread or an article discussion that interests you, whether it is old or new, feel free to jump in. Want to discuss a specific game or board gaming related topic just start a new topic. If you don’t know which forum to put it in, just make your best guess (we really don’t care all that much. It’s easy enough for a moderator to move it or merge it, if necessary).

A good place to get started is by introducing yourself in the “New Members Introduce Yourself” thread (below) or by telling us what you have been playing in the “What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?" thread ( therewillbe.games/forum/35-mos-eisley-ca...ave-you-been-playing ).

Have fun, and we look forward to hearing from you.

Explain Your Avatar

More
20 Sep 2010 11:26 #74523 by Stephen Avery
Jeff Jarvis is *most definately* a cylon.
Cylon!

Steve"sux@BSG"Avery

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Sep 2010 22:20 #74591 by Jarvis
Replied by Jarvis on topic Re:Explain Your Avatar
Nope, most defintely NOT A CYLON. *spreads hands ala Baltar*

Though I think you are trying to throw people off of you. Cylon.

More
30 Sep 2010 02:47 #75473 by Amontillado
Replied by Amontillado on topic Re:Explain Your Avatar
My current avatar is a close up of the likeness of Jethro Tull's Ian Anderson as portrayed on the album art for the the Tull LP "Broadsword and the Beast". Back in the day my mother was going through a pagan phase around the time I was getting heavily into RPGs. I liked their album "Songs from the Wood" the best for this purpose. The vibe from the paganesque Tull music made the RPG time that much sweeter, so I'm still a fan, even though it truly dates my 70's/80's childhood.

More
30 Sep 2010 10:36 #75511 by JJJJS
Replied by JJJJS on topic Re:Explain Your Avatar
I think Destro's a straight up pimp, so I photoshopped a picture of him to look that way.

More
03 Nov 2010 00:14 #78353 by Ancient_of_MuMu

New avatar is my new tattoo.

For those curious about the writing, it says:
"I have seen the Fnords" (appears disjointed as it isn't easy to see the Fnords)
"Justified and Ancient"
"Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" (that is spread up all over the place as it is dangerous to have that all in one place)
"Stand by the Jam"

More
03 Nov 2010 05:11 #78362 by Shapeshifter
Replied by Shapeshifter on topic Re:Explain Your Avatar

My avater is the main protagonist of Terry Gilliam's weird masterpiece "Brazil", a sort of 1984 on acid.
I saw this as a kid and the movie had a massive impact on me.
It was one of the first times I saw an auteurs-movie that allowed a direct insight into the brains of a mad genius. It was like a whole world opened and suddenly I didn't feel alone in my absurd fantasies.
It triggered my ambition to make a living of my own creative thoughts, altought I only realised that years later.

More
03 Nov 2010 08:18 #78368 by jur
Replied by jur on topic Re:Explain Your Avatar
Hell yeah!

Brazil is absolutely one of teh most amazing movies I ever saw and it had a massive impact on me too. I think I was about 16 or 17 and it just totally clicked. The great storyline, the artwork (the samurai monster, the shoe-turned-hat, the design of the christmas present doled out is genius), the details like the typist recording a torture and indeed the mask worn by the torturer.

It's so very Gilliam, although much darker than most other things he's done.

More
03 Nov 2010 13:57 #78420 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic Re:Explain Your Avatar
One of the reasons Brazil is so damned good, although I like Gilliam's other stuff too, is that he had the script brushed up by Tom Stoppard who added some real gems into the humour...

Sam: Remember me to Alison and the twins.
Jack: Triplets.
Sam: Triplets? God, how time flies.

Great lines, very revealing, and without being expository in any way.

More
03 Nov 2010 14:23 #78429 by jur
Replied by jur on topic Re:Explain Your Avatar
As to Tom Stoppard, if you are ever in the position to see his play Arcadia, do so! It works at different levels and ties them all together. Brilliant, funny, and one of the best explanations and discussions of physics, art and human relations I have seen.

More
03 Nov 2010 15:17 #78442 by Ancient_of_MuMu
Jur wrote:

As to Tom Stoppard, if you are ever in the position to see his play Arcadia, do so! It works at different levels and ties them all together. Brilliant, funny, and one of the best explanations and discussions of physics, art and human relations I have seen.

My wife and I saw Arcadia when we had just left school and she was making money doing a menial data entry job with the dregs of humanity and it resulted in one of the most memorable exchanges in our lives:
Her: "I just saw this great play Arcadia last night."
Co-worker: "Oh. What's it about?"
Her: "The battle between the arts and the sciences."
Co-worker: "Who won?"

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.293 seconds