October 09, 2023
2603 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2803 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

What happened to "Mayday! Mayday!" Humour article?

More
23 Mar 2011 07:40 #91786 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic Re:What happened to
Ken B. wrote:

Their just 'puters, man. People...well, they're people. And that's what matters, right?

... WHAT! You mean to tell me that they're not the same thing?

But you guys only exist when I turn my computer on.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Mar 2011 07:43 #91787 by Ken B.
Replied by Ken B. on topic Re:What happened to
Did I just really use "Their" for "They're?"

Alright, I am never allowed to post this early in the morning ever again.

More
23 Mar 2011 07:49 #91789 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Re:What happened to
From a relative newcomer's perspective, allow me to say this: The tone has indeed changed; it's softened considerably.

Notwithstanding the "Fagdome Affair", which was a pariah by all standards, people have been more courteous. No Scissors v. Barnes v. Skeletor moments in a long time. No bitching or whining about the vast overuse of the word pedantry. Nothing. Hell, I haven't even published anyone's CV/resume.

So, this is certainly a mountain out of a molehill, sorry Simon for disagreeing. I just don't see it.

Regarding Octavian, you have to accept that he is, by definition, a polarizing character. Some people loathe him to an unhealthy degree. Some people like him. There's really no reason to give a shit about it. It's his job, well or poorly done, to keep the natives at bay on TOS, and in doing so, he's going to piss people off. Deal with it. I'm not his biggest fan and have been banned by him a total of 6 or 7 times, but I can understand that people like him.

So, in short, I don't get Simon's point. Things seem to have smoothed considerably.

Just like Gary Coleman, diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks...

More
23 Mar 2011 07:53 #91791 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Re:What happened to
Ken B. wrote:

Am I the only one who owns an iPad, used to have a Mac at work, and did Macintosh support for about a year and a half, who doesn't feel the need strongly either way to tear into someone over the subject?

If you are telling the truth Ken .... then YES , you are in a club of your own as an Apple computer user :-)

That's all I'm saying. Their just 'puters, man. People...well, they're people. And that's what matters, right?

Now you've done it - Apple HQ have just sent out a signal to the self-destruct chip, that's installed in every Apple appliance (the one that sits beside the much larger 'induce paranoia' chip), in your iPad ... don't bother wasting your time turning it on, you and it are now dead to them :-))))

More
23 Mar 2011 08:33 - 23 Mar 2011 08:34 #91799 by Bullwinkle
Replied by Bullwinkle on topic Re:What happened to
superflytnt wrote:

From a relative newcomer's perspective, allow me to say this: The tone has indeed changed; it's softened considerably.

You are wrong.
Last edit: 23 Mar 2011 08:34 by Bullwinkle.

More
23 Mar 2011 08:56 #91804 by Aarontu
Replied by Aarontu on topic Re:What happened to

Eugene is my home boy!

I haven't noticed a change lately around here, but I usually only read threads that sound relevant to my interests, and I also adhere to JonJacob and Steve Avery's school of thought:
JonJacob wrote:

I think taking a page out of Avery's book is a good idea. The whole idea of communicating on line with semi-strangers is a bit of a joke anyway so there's no reason to take any of it very seriously.

This is the internets. If you start taking stuff you read in forums seriously, you're going to get offended. Period. Good communication between two different people is hard enough in real life; reduce it to expressionless little blurbs of text in a forum and it just doesn't make a lot of sense to get all huffy and offended about it. That's my mantra anyway.

More
23 Mar 2011 09:56 #91815 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Re:What happened to
Bullwinkle wrote:

superflytnt wrote:

You are wrong.

I agree with Bullwinkle, Simon, Tom, as well as several others who have expressed this concern to me privately. I feel that some members seem have lost the ability to distinguish between debate/the expression of strong opinions, and ugly, vulgar name calling. The former is interesting to read, and makes you think, even when you may not entirely agree with the writer. The later is lazy, off-putting, strangles discussion, and hijacks threads such that other people are unable to continue discussing the original topic.

I think some members have also lost the ability to distinguish the boundary between playful trash talk, and hostile attacks.

Unfortunately, as this behavior has increased over the past few months, we have lost the participation of many of our more reasonable, mature, interesting, witty and thoughtful members, and with them, a great deal of the substantive discussion and nuanced humor that once defined and distinguished Fortress: Ameritrash.

More
23 Mar 2011 10:20 #91823 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Re:What happened to
I guess I don't read most of the threads in the forum and primarily stick to the front page stuff, which is why I've missed some of it. Or maybe I'm immune... ?

More
23 Mar 2011 12:08 #91844 by Ska_baron
Replied by Ska_baron on topic Re:What happened to
We go through this every 3-4 months. Nothing too new, although it is sad we lose collateral members - who was the most recent casualty? Seems like less Loter, but I figured it was RL stuff. Sad if it's the "tone."

Should be easy to tailor your online experiences to make the most out of them and avoid the conversations that are just going to piss you off, but then again look at how folks used to ALWAYS engage Weeks instead of just simply ignoring him. But then some folks found value in him beyond amusement I guess.

More
23 Mar 2011 12:17 #91846 by Not Sure
I just always assumed Simon's Mac comments were directed at me. I loves my Macs, yes sir. (Disclaimer: I have zero beef with Simon, and I don't give a shit what other people think or say about computers.)

Anyway, I've noticed the increased (non-productive) bullshit level here as well. There's been no softening of tone, but definitely an increase in the give-shit-but-can't-take-it attitudes. And the petty sniping.

I think some folks need to learn how to give up a fucking grudge once in a while. (If you think I'm talking about you, I probably am. There's a surprisingly large number of recent things that statement applies to.)

If giving up a grudge off the board isn't AT, then I'm going to have to turn in my card as well.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.168 seconds