October 09, 2023
2518 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2720 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

What BOARD GAME(s) should I buy? (Deals, Recs)

More
31 Mar 2011 09:42 - 31 Mar 2011 09:47 #92777 by Ken B.
We have a thread for what we're playing, and what we're buying, but no central thread specifically looking for either a "this or this?" recommendation, or a place to list hot deals that AT fans *should* be buying.

So I thought I'd give this a spin. Let's see how it goes!
Last edit: 31 Mar 2011 09:47 by Ken B..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Mar 2011 09:44 #92778 by Ken B.
And I'll start 'er off:

Which "X" Dice Game Should I buy?

Level X or Excape?

Anyone have any experience with either? I seem to remember a FATtie raving about one of these somewhere, but cannot remember.

More
31 Mar 2011 11:20 #92792 by stormseeker75
I've got both. Honestly, I think Excape is the better game as long as you've got 4 or more people. The push-your-luck is better and the opportunity for screwage is big. Knizia knows how to do dice and this is no exception.
Level X is fine, but I think it's a bit too simple. That said, if you want to sit around and bullshit while playing a game that requires very little concentration then Level X is perfect. It does work much better for 2 or 3 than Excape does because it lacks the push-your-luck factor. It's a nice game to play with my wife.

More
31 Mar 2011 12:04 #92803 by Ken B.
Awesome, thanks man.

More
31 Mar 2011 18:09 #92838 by Notahandle
Ken B. wrote:
" We have a thread for what we're playing, and what we're buying, but no central thread specifically looking for either a "this or this?" recommendation"
Has Trashdome imploded? :)

More
31 Mar 2011 20:58 #92847 by Ken B.
Notahandle wrote:

Ken B. wrote:
" We have a thread for what we're playing, and what we're buying, but no central thread specifically looking for either a "this or this?" recommendation"
Has Trashdome imploded? :)

Well, that's more of a GAME VERSUS GAME, replete with trash-talking. But I thought it might be a great place to either get recommendations of "this game or that game?" Also, we get folks asking for game recommends of particular titles in the "What BOARD GAMES are you playing?" thread, but since they're sparsely peppered throughout that mammoth thread, they might get lost.

So someone could wander in and ask, "Is Prophecy worth hunting down?" And then get some pros and cons.

More
31 Mar 2011 21:05 #92849 by stormseeker75
No prob, Ken. If you like dice games, I really feel that Ra: The Dice Game is about as awesome as dice can possibly be.

More
01 Apr 2011 09:07 #92873 by Notahandle
Ken B. wrote:
" I thought it might be a great place to either get recommendations of "this game or that game?" Also, we get folks asking for game recommends of particular titles in the "What BOARD GAMES are you playing?" thread, but since they're sparsely peppered throughout that mammoth thread, they might get lost."
Okay, a non-teasing answer.
For: "recommendations of "this game or that game"", how about a thread titled "How do THESE GAMES compare?"
For: "we get folks asking for game recommends of particular titles", how about "Do you RECOMMEND this game?"

More
01 Apr 2011 11:48 #92885 by Ken B.
Notahandle wrote:

Ken B. wrote:
" I thought it might be a great place to either get recommendations of "this game or that game?" Also, we get folks asking for game recommends of particular titles in the "What BOARD GAMES are you playing?" thread, but since they're sparsely peppered throughout that mammoth thread, they might get lost."
Okay, a non-teasing answer.
For: "recommendations of "this game or that game"", how about a thread titled "How do THESE GAMES compare?"
For: "we get folks asking for game recommends of particular titles", how about "Do you RECOMMEND this game?"

Great ideas, man, thanks! When I get back from being on the road, I'll probably create those.

More
01 Apr 2011 22:36 #92928 by ubarose
You know what. I really think that new threads should be started with the game name in it, rather than one big monster thread. If something is worth discussing and getting multiple opinions on, it deserves it's own thread. Plus it's easier to find later on. Just last week, someone asked me about Runebound, and I was just able to give them the link to that Runebound discussion thread.

More
01 Apr 2011 23:27 #92929 by Josh Look
ubarose wrote:

You know what. I really think that new threads should be started with the game name in it, rather than one big monster thread. If something is worth discussing and getting multiple opinions on, it deserves it's own thread. Plus it's easier to find later on. Just last week, someone asked me about Runebound, and I was just able to give them the link to that Runebound discussion thread.

I second this. Finding stuff here on F:AT is a bit cumbersome.

More
02 Apr 2011 08:43 #92937 by stormseeker75
Uba has a good point. Pehaps we can combine that with Ken's initial idea. Something like: Should I buy CLAUSTROPHOBIA? That way the game name is in caps and it will stand out much like the What BOARD GAMES should I buy? title of this thread.

More
03 Apr 2011 09:16 #93000 by Ska_baron
Or hows about "SHOULD I BUY: Claustrophobia or Scrabble?"

More
03 Apr 2011 13:02 #93014 by stormseeker75
That's good too. The beautiful think about the interwebs is that we have room for all kinds of threads.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.169 seconds