October 09, 2023
2552 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2751 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

Puzzle Strike Missionaries

More
14 Feb 2013 14:11 #144190 by san il defanso
David Sirlin just posted this little gem to his blog.

I don't think I've ever heard a designer talk about his own game with such cult-like implications. Share the Good News of Puzzle Strike!

I also wanted to comment about "creating the perfect polished jewel of a game," but I'm not sure what to add aside from the fact that Puzzle Strike ain't it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dragonstout

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Feb 2013 15:34 #144196 by SuperflyPete
In the 1920's, President Wilson formed a secret agency known as Threshold to combat the forces of evil bent on awakening Cthulhu.

I would be absolutely fine with Threshold "adjudicating" Sirlin and his cult.

"Puzzle Strike Missionaries" sounds like a variant of "The Shocker", but from behind and with a finger in the eye...making her puzzled LOL

More
14 Feb 2013 15:52 #144200 by Space Ghost

I'm less into expansions anyway and more into creating the perfect polished jewel of a game...though that's not exactly what keeps a game in the news

I'm done with Sirlin and his games -- I wouldn't be surprised if it was his attitude that was keeping his games from getting the press he feels like they deserve. Or instead of no expansions, it was the 3 editions that came out so fast, making the original supporters feel like they had bee duped as he had obviously had the new editions in the works for some time.

Usually, when you aren't achieving success, the first place to look is at your own product and in the mirror.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Almalik, Gary Sax, san il defanso, Stormcow, madwookiee, Dair, wadenels

More
14 Feb 2013 23:09 #144232 by Michael Barnes
I believe he's going to call his next game (or at least the next edition of Puzzle Strike) "Bigger than Jesus".

Seriously, hubris much?

It just goes back to my exchange with him over Yomi...I gave it one of the best reviews I've ever given a game (one that I stand by to this day) and he was unhappy that I criticized the cheap-ass flimsy cardstock that had no business in a $100 game. There were like four or five emails back and forth, I think he was trying to get me to recant and revise the review. Wouldn't do it. Cardstock sucked.

He's obviously a talented designer, but he fumbles over the line between self-promotion and self-aggrandizement.

More
15 Feb 2013 00:45 #144239 by Sevej
I usually never care about designers when I'm looking into a game, but I also somewhat irrationally sick of this guy.

He worships balance and tournament scene, an attitude I despise. He also belittled Knizia's game, take ideas from the said game and added to it to create his own. I don't like his attitude with "revisions". May be because he comes from video game background, and with video games you can just release patch to address game balance.

More
15 Feb 2013 01:05 #144241 by dragonstout

Sevej wrote: He also belittled Knizia's game, take ideas from the said game and added to it to create his own.

Yeah, was it really necessary to diss the game that you *ripped off*?

For me personally, though, it's not so much that I don't like the guy, I don't like his *games*, and that's primarily because of the tournament-competitive-mindset worship that seeps through to his game design, where it's the #1 design goal. Other than having I believed mentioned that he thinks that asymmetry makes a game fun, where has he ever talked about "fun" being something that he considers?

More
15 Feb 2013 02:10 #144245 by wadenels
I agree with a lot of what Sirlin says. Incremental improvements, building on what's current, etc and so on. His personality could use work, but talk about the pot calling the kettle black if I belittle him for that.

The ONE thing that keeps me away from his games is the revisionist nature of his development style. Totally hypothetical: If I have Puzzle-omi 1.0, and I like Puzzle-omi 1.0 then good for me, right? Well, maybe. Even if I don't play in tournaments, if I meet some friends and/or newcomers on a game night and they're familiar with Puzzle-omi 2.0, then I have two choices:

1) Upgrade anyway and be a part of a growing player base.
2) Be that crusty curmudgeon bastard.

I don't want to pay to be the first person, and I'll pay for being the second. All it would take for me to buy in is a reasonable upgrade pack.

And to contradict myself, the OTHER thing that bugs me: Give credit where credit is due. There's no shame in standing on the shoulders of giants, but at least be man enough to admit that you're doing exactly that.

More
15 Feb 2013 03:48 #144252 by SGT Dave

San Il Defanso wrote: David Sirlin just posted this little gem to his blog.

I don't think I've ever heard a designer talk about his own game with such cult-like implications. Share the Good News of Puzzle Strike!

I also wanted to comment about "creating the perfect polished jewel of a game," but I'm not sure what to add aside from the fact that Puzzle Strike ain't it.

Yeah suckers! The game that's so perfect I make you buy a new edition every year to fix how broken it is. Don't worry, just put down another $50 next year because the fourth edition is even, er, perfect-er!

Why playtest your game before publishing it, when you can find suckers to buy edition after edition, and pay to play test it for you? It's a perfect polished something alright.

More
15 Feb 2013 09:44 #144277 by sornars

SGT Dave wrote: Why playtest your game before publishing it, when you can find suckers to buy edition after edition, and pay to play test it for you? It's a perfect polished something alright.

Say what you will about Sirlin but his play testing process is probably one of the most rigorous ones outside of multiplayer video games. You're unlikely to find a board game designer who play tests more than him.

The real problem is his placement of tournament balance on such a pedestal that even a minor imbalance requires a new edition in his mind.

I find his outlook interesting in case study way as it is so far removed from mine. I'm not a particularly competitive gamer; I play to win but am more than happy to screw around and have fun. To him winning is the only point of playing a game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Xerxes, Gary Sax

More
15 Feb 2013 10:58 #144279 by Stormcow
Sir, you will have a hard time convincing me that Puzzle Strike has had more playtesting, or is better balanced than Dominion.

Sirlin's big attitude is not at all proportional to his design chops. Yomi is a fairly good game, but also pretty simple and unpolished. His other two games are blatant rip-offs where apparently he goes around dissing the original designers? I am actually a little ashamed to say that his personality is the primary factor for me trading off my Sirlin games, but let's face it - none of them were irreplacable anyway.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.403 seconds