October 09, 2023
2628 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2819 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

Eclipse on iOS

More
01 May 2013 02:19 #151251 by MattFantastic
Replied by MattFantastic on topic Re: Eclipse on iOS
You need to have a table to play the game above it.

If your game doesn't give a shit about the metagame, then I'd almost always rather play it on iOS.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, Josh Look

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 May 2013 02:55 #151253 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic Re: Eclipse on iOS
So how are people liking Eclipse iOS?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
01 May 2013 04:15 #151256 by SaMoKo
Replied by SaMoKo on topic Re: Eclipse on iOS
Picked this up, but the online stuff seems weird. Anywhoo, I signed up as SaMoKo, but I'm not sure if it's even possible to set up a game with people or set up friends lists. Why couldn't they just use GameCenter, dammit?

More
01 May 2013 17:17 #151282 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Re: Eclipse on iOS
The interesting thing is that it really plays less like a board game and more like a simplified 4x game...it seriously feels like a Master of Orion/GalCiv but seriously pared down and with the board game elements played up.

There's some really neat implementation concepts, I love how the combat is displayed.

Overall, it's really fucking awesome. The online...yeah, WTF, no Gamecenter.

Anyway, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. Add me. Somebody.

More
01 May 2013 22:35 #151307 by dragonstout
Replied by dragonstout on topic Re: Eclipse on iOS
I like playing MTG both online and in person, but for different reasons. I like playing in person with friends and family because, well, I like the company of my friends and family and it's fun to share the experience of wild things in a Magic game. But as serious competition, they mostly don't cut the mustard, and I've got to go online to find opponents good enough for that. Of course, I could also go to big tournaments for that, but the reason online beats that is because I can play during whatever time window I want. Even playing with strangers, though, if the time-slot issues were irrelevant, I'd rather play in person against high-quality strangers than play online against high-quality strangers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
03 May 2013 15:55 #151394 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic Re: Eclipse on iOS
So how do you play online? Do I need to use the email that's connected to my iTunes account? Or does any old email work?

More
04 May 2013 18:50 #151441 by Disgustipater
Replied by Disgustipater on topic Re: Eclipse on iOS
Okay, so I have never played Eclipse before and have a general interest in trying it out. I love TI3, and kind of fear the heavy economics (read: dominating gameplay component?) of Eclipse. But again, I'm interested in playing it at least once. Is it worth my $7 to try out Eclipse? Or should I wait for some not-so-random encounter at a game store with someone breaking it out?

More
04 May 2013 19:42 #151443 by Grudunza
Replied by Grudunza on topic Re: Eclipse on iOS
I don't think it's heavy economics, by any means... There's an aspect of that, but it's pretty balanced with the other stuff going on. I haven't played TI3, but many seem to think Eclipse is a tighter version of that, for better or worse. I love it, though, especially having played the app a dozen times now. I'd only played it twice before. Whether it's worth your $7 just to try is hard to say, but for the quality of the app and the game, it's a steal at that price, IMO.

More
04 May 2013 19:44 #151444 by MattFantastic
Replied by MattFantastic on topic Re: Eclipse on iOS
I've beat it to death in other threads/articles but Eclipse sure as shit isn't going to scratch your TI3 itch. BUT what sucks about it is mostly stuff that isn't as big a deal in the digital world and you still get the full enjoyment of the bits that are awesome (ship building, the way the economy works). If you want to play it, don't waste your real life time playing it at a game night cause you'll have a worse time and take way longer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
04 May 2013 22:48 - 04 May 2013 22:50 #151446 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic Re: Eclipse on iOS

MattLoter wrote: I've beat it to death in other threads/articles but Eclipse sure as shit isn't going to scratch your TI3 itch.

Agreed. They're completely different games that scratch different itches. I like both games, but I think I'd rather just play Master of Orion or Space Empires IV than an iOS version of either one. It's like reading a book based on a movie that was based on a book. Just read the original book.
Last edit: 04 May 2013 22:50 by ChristopherMD.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.425 seconds