October 09, 2023
2635 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2825 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

Zombies!!! Releases For iStuff

More
17 Jul 2013 18:32 #156695 by Legomancer

Michael Barnes wrote: I'll never understand why this game makes people so angry and upset. It's better than Last Night on Earth.

Not a particularly tough hurdle to clear.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jul 2013 18:33 #156696 by SuperflyPete
The biggest failure of this game is that you can't disable the really, truly, abysmally horrible animations.

More
17 Jul 2013 19:16 #156700 by Sagrilarus

Michael Barnes wrote: I'll never understand why this game makes people so angry and upset. It's better than Last Night on Earth.

It's one of the games you have to declare your hatred for to enter the inner circle. The inner circle is important.

I'll agree with you for once -- better than Last Night on Earth. Of course, an Arby's deep fried chicken burger is better than Last Night on Earth, so I'm not exactly risking my reputation by saying that.

S.

More
17 Jul 2013 19:28 #156702 by Ska_baron
Hey Sag, played my copy (previously yours) of LNOE last night and my sister in law loved the truck that you put in with it.

Great time had by all - even though the heroes ended up blowing me away with 5 turns left.

Maaaaybe I should play Zombies!!! again to see if it's okay, but my initial few plays were enough to turn me off and this was back in the 90s I guess so before Internet Tastemakers sounded off or it was cool to hate. It just wasnt fun for me. LNOE is.

More
17 Jul 2013 19:34 #156704 by Sagrilarus
Ska, if you're happy I'm happy. No sense playing games you don't like.

One of the things I liked about Zombies was that I got to do what I wanted to do. I lost, I died, but I did it on my terms. I find that empowering.

S.

More
17 Jul 2013 19:52 #156711 by Michael Barnes
I'll never forget going to a big Atlanta Eurogamer gathering with Robert Martin and he had Zombies!!! in his stack. He was literally- I shit you not- sneered at and derided for bringing it by MULTIPLE people. It was kind of weird. That was one of the moments, I think, where the Ameritrash movement was truly born.

Robert had a couple of rules tweaks that really helped the game a lot...at AGF, we used to play it quite a bit with multiple expansions. It was a great, low-comittment Friday night game that we could get six folks into for an hour or two, and it was always impressive to see the zombies lined up on the board...and then getting mowed down. No other zombie game has done mass crowds of 'em like it has.

I don't really care to play it anymore, but I don't really understand what's so bad about it. It's a simple, dumb shoot'em up. *Shrug*.

Now, if you want to play a REALLY bad game, try Twilight Creations' When Darkness Comes...now THAT is an awful game.

More
17 Jul 2013 20:30 #156717 by mads b.
I've only played Zombies!!! a few times many years ago, but I remember it taking far too long for what it was. 6 players in one or two hours just didn't seem realistic. And I also disliked that you could win by killing zombies since I found that not very zombie-movie like.

However this sounds like a somewhat cool app. I think Zombies!!! will be better when it's not up against against other board games, but other silly apps. But is it only vs. AI or does it have some sort of real solo option?

More
17 Jul 2013 21:32 #156725 by ThirstyMan

Michael Barnes wrote: I
Now, if you want to play a REALLY bad game, try Twilight Creations' When Darkness Comes...now THAT is an awful game.

God yes, I bought this in London years ago and what a mistake that turned out to be. Absolutely shit....

More
18 Jul 2013 00:43 #156733 by hotseatgames
I don't like it because it goes on far too long. That's really about it.

More
18 Jul 2013 13:12 #156749 by Legomancer
I don't hate the game and would play if someone had a decent ruleset for it. My gripes are that it needed to be "fixed" right out of the box, went on a bit long, and play was counter to theme.

In the pre-helipad part of the game, since killing zombies is a victory condition, it's valid to move them away from opponents to deny them victory. (I first played this during a demo at a con, and the rep there kept telling me I was doing the wrong thing when I moved the zombies away, but I won.) When the helipad arrives, you want to kill off the other player so you're the first one to get there. This plays only like a zombie movie populated by assholes who deserve to die.

In that sense, it's not much different from LNOE, where the zombies don't act like zombies, they act like other players making tactical decisions to preserve SOME of the humans, which is exactly what they are. That also doesn't feel right.

For a while I thought Zombies needed to be a co-op, with the Zombies spawning and following according to rules and the rest of the game playing towards a cooperative goal, more like an actual zombie movie. I started to come up with a plan for this and then realized I actually didn't care that much and got rid of my copy.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.176 seconds