October 09, 2023
2630 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2821 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

Wii U Discussion

More
21 May 2014 08:50 #178565 by san il defanso
I didn't want to derail the Video Games thread with discussion about the Wii U, so I'm starting this one...

One thing that I realized playing last night was how limited the Wii actually was. That was the only console I owned from the last generation, and while all of the Nintendo games for it were great (natch), I can totally see why it would have been tough to develop for outside of that. Simply put not everything works with motion controls, and if you aren't creating a Nintendo-style platformer or a game where the character has to wave something around it made it pretty tough. The lack of HD graphics probably didn't do it any favors either. Those issues are basically eliminated with the Wii U, and it's a shame more people and developers aren't giving it a shot.

It definitely is a system for people who are tired of roided-up shooters and constant DLC, or alternately for people like me whose gaming taste is frozen circa 1995.

I need to figure out what I need to sell so I can get me a copy of Mario Kart 8. They just took the online component down for Mario Kart Wii, so now how will I prove myself against some random Japanese person?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 May 2014 11:31 #178576 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re: Wii U Discussion

dun dun DUUUUUUN

Some folks are resurrecting it because the Internet is awesome.

MARIO KART WII is working in local mode, looks like they are testing remote soon.

I haven't actually been playing the WiiU a ton lately, but this is my normal ebb and flow with consoles. No consoles can get my attention away from FTL right now. That said, I have some sweet stuff waiting in the wings:
  • ZOMBI U (unstarted)
  • RAYMAN LEGENDS (unstarted by me, but the kids have played it. IT LOOKS LIKE THEY ARE PLAYING A DISNEY CARTOON)
  • SUPER MARIO 3D WORLD (Way up there--in mushroom land, &c. Hard as baaaaaallllllls)
  • SKYLANDERS SWAP FORCE (unstarted. Caught a great sale and we have a zillion of the Gen 1 dudes and a Giant, so this was a no brainer)

My sister is visiting soon, so we'll be gaming some then.

More
21 May 2014 12:38 #178582 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic Re: Wii U Discussion
I can't figure out if Mario Kart is going to be good enough that I need to buy it right away or if I should just keep playing what I have (including the incredible Sonic Transformed) and wait awhile for the small price drop. I have two good kart racers on the go already, I'm holding off on a third.

I google "Bayonetta 2 release date" once a week.

Mario 3D is probably my favorite game on the system with Wonderful 101 a close second. Donkey Kong Country : TF, Rayman, and Lego Undercover round up my top 5. The Mario/Luigi 2D games are brilliant too. I expect that more time with Zelda will push it up there too.

I really want to pick up Pikmin, it looks interesting.

I still haven't played Madworld or Sin and Punishment but I'm excited that I have them waiting in the wings for the free time I expect to get soon.

More
21 May 2014 12:47 #178583 by san il defanso
Replied by san il defanso on topic Re: Wii U Discussion
One really great move from Super Mario 3D World is how surprising the game was. Because it deviated from the old 3D Mario model of returning to the same setting over and over again, you never knew what to expect in each successive level. That even extended to the power-ups, which frequently made me laugh when I found them for the first time. I think the Bullet Box made me have to take a break.

That kind of thing happened with surprising regularity, and it was helped by the fact that the game never really overexplained itself. It just lets you discover it and have fun.

It's that element that reminds me the most of Super Mario Bros. 3. It's also the first Mario game in probably 20 years that doesn't revolve around hidden exits, which is kind of refreshing to see again.

More
21 May 2014 13:29 #178588 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic Re: Wii U Discussion
The clones are my favorite bit in Mario 3D, one level in particular but two I can think of off the top of my head that I really enjoyed and used the clones. What I liked in particular was that there was never enough time to get sick of anything. You would use a power up for a couple of levels and never see it again... or maybe not for several levels.

Going back to get all the stars and stuff like that are things I never do in other games, for some reason the Mario games are so good I gladly go back to pick them up.

What felt really weird about 3D world was how similar in feel it was to a 2D Mario game. It felt less like Mario 64 and more like an older Mario. Somehow the tweaked their 3D controls to really bring out a great and smooth control system that does't screw with depth perception the way some 3D platformers do. I didn't miss nearly as many jumps due to not being sure what plane I was on... even without using his shadow to let me know where I was.

More
21 May 2014 13:56 #178592 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re: Wii U Discussion
Yeah, that cat bell is the best thing since the original tanookie suit. It's adorable and it adds a lot to the gameplay. The game wasn't as novel an experience to me as I had played and loved MARIO 3D LAND on the 3DS, but it's still a stellar game. And if you have enough controllers? the multiplayer is insane.

More
21 May 2014 14:03 #178593 by san il defanso
Replied by san il defanso on topic Re: Wii U Discussion
One thing that surprised me about SM3DW was how well it works with just the Wiimote. Usually analog sticks are required for a Mario 3D platformer, but the d-pad works just fine here. Part of that probably goes back to the level design, which as JonJacob points out is definitely built closer to a 2D platformer.

More
21 May 2014 17:25 - 21 May 2014 17:26 #178625 by SaMoKo
Replied by SaMoKo on topic Re: Wii U Discussion
Donkey Kong stands out to me as the top platformer, but it's hard as balls to the point that the extra worlds in 3D World look like cake. Soo damn hard to speedrun in DK, but so amazing when you pull it off. The clumsy character really works well in the game.

And the price of Mario Kart won't drop to anyone waiting. You'll pay ~maybe~ 5bux less down the road and miss out on the free game deal for buying early (NSMBU, Wii Party U, Pikmin 3 or Windwaker HD in NA, or a whole bunch of stuff in EU). Getting a free game for buying a game like MK is an insane deal, and Pikmin 3 is a great game that many don't own.

Edit: www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/Mf9RJDc...ECxUdPB0Lf3N9Jb2VtRt
Last edit: 21 May 2014 17:26 by SaMoKo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jhuntin1

More
21 May 2014 17:31 #178627 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Re: Wii U Discussion
Shikey! I didn't see that deal! I will defintely pick it up then, I don't have NSMBWU, will definitely snatch that up.

I call the cat suit the cheating suit, because that is what it is.

I'm replaying Metroid Prime on mine right now...I think that is the only 20+ hour game I've played through more than once. This will be my fourth time. It's up there with MGS, Castlevania: SOTN, and RE4.

More
21 May 2014 17:58 #178634 by SaMoKo
Replied by SaMoKo on topic Re: Wii U Discussion
Cat suit would have been better without the frontal swipe, but it's far improved from the Cape and manages to keep the Tanooki tail as a useful and unique ability. Cherry clone is the best power up ever made in Mario.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.171 seconds