October 09, 2023
2579 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2776 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

FTL Faster Than Light discussion thread

More
22 May 2014 22:28 - 22 May 2014 22:31 #178729 by Gary Sax
I have done a lot of runs with that engi A ship, but cannot get it to work out. Ion II fires lethally fast once your dude knows his way around the guns, but I never back it up with something that seriously kicks ass. Or get good enough drones to defend myself.

How did you fend off boarding parties, Digustipater?
Last edit: 22 May 2014 22:31 by Gary Sax.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 May 2014 22:48 #178732 by Disgustipater
I picked up extra crew as fast as possible. I had 2 Mantis and a Rockman who were basically there to repel boarders and man the doors/sensors when needed.

More
23 May 2014 03:17 #178739 by Erik Twice
I called a ship "Skilldorado". I came across two Scrap Recovery Arms. Yep, I won.

More
23 May 2014 11:04 - 23 May 2014 11:05 #178768 by jeb

Gary Sax wrote: I have done a lot of runs with that engi A ship, but cannot get it to work out. Ion II fires lethally fast once your dude knows his way around the guns, but I never back it up with something that seriously kicks ass. Or get good enough drones to defend myself.

How did you fend off boarding parties, Digustipater?

Just to be clear, I want to make sure you aren't missing the obvious. Someone else complained about "cheesing" boarders with cycling dudes and stuff, but I rarely have to do that.

By Sector 3 I usually have upgraded the doors once and my first extra guy (after Piloting, Engines, Weapons, and Shields) goes on Door duty. That puts the doors on level 3, which are tough as hell. When boarded, unless super unlucky, you can open the airlocks to vent all the O2 from wherever they are. They will pound on the system until the O2 runs out, but then they try to get into the next room--they usually don't even take a bar off the system they started in if you do this quickly enough. (You can turn off the O2 in your ship to make the vent work even faster, but that's a little dangerous if you forget). By the time they hack through the door to get to fresh air, they are half-dead or more and even your Engi can kill those guys, especially with the Medi-bot Dispersal.

Even if I don't have an extra guy on doors I might move the Shields guy over depending on what their weapon set is. You can run a guy through their room and they can't immediately follow unless you have the weakest doors.

---

In Engi A you can also just put a couple points into Medbay and be basically unkillable with the Medi-bot Dispersal and hand-to-hand them. I don't like that because it ties up my guys, but having a buffed Medbay, even if unpowered, is still a good idea because of all the "blue text" options a buffed Medbay gets you.
Last edit: 23 May 2014 11:05 by jeb.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
24 May 2014 00:05 #178803 by Disgustipater
Beat it without too much trouble on my first run with the Lanius ship. Getting some good weapons and Pre-Igniter early on let me just upgrade everything.

For my last system slot, I went with Mind Control over Cloak. Partly to get one of the Lanius' achievements, and also to counter the flagship's mind control (invaluable I've found). I don't really miss cloak all that much. I didn't have too much trouble taking the flagship down with my load out. Now to unlock layout B by flying no O2 all the way.

More
24 May 2014 00:56 #178804 by Gary Sax
What weapons are in the screenshot? The ipad version looks different than the PC version.

More
24 May 2014 10:48 - 24 May 2014 10:59 #178816 by Disgustipater

Gary Sax wrote: What weapons are in the screenshot? The ipad version looks different than the PC version.

A tap brings up a more detailed weapon menu:

I would pre-ignite the Breach Missile (4 damage), Pike Beam, and Ion blast, then switch the missile's power over to the charge laser once the missile fired, since I couldn't get enough power slots to power everything at the same time. Also, the pre-igniter only charges one of the four charge lasers rounds.

So I would hit the Shields or weapons with the missile, then take out the rest of the shields with the 4 shots from the charge laser, then immediately get a pass with the Pike Beam, which I could usually hit at least 5 rooms. Seemed to work pretty well.
Last edit: 24 May 2014 10:59 by Disgustipater. Reason: Chain, charge, whatever
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax

More
25 May 2014 01:54 - 25 May 2014 01:55 #178858 by Gary Sax
Got the enemy ship down to four to five health in the final stage and lost. ARGH.

Using stealth ship A. Once you manage to buy a shield module for it, you're in awesome shape. Could fire while hidden as well. Thought I had it. I fought off all their boarders but in the meantime there was fire all over my ship which brought me down. Didn't have enough fire power, but did have the defense II module which was HUGE. Used: Burst laser II, mini beam, Flak cannon II.

The whole game I was dying to get a glaive beam or something more powerful to replace that starting beam with. If I had, the final ship would have been toast without a lot of trouble. The mini beam just didn't have the punch.
Last edit: 25 May 2014 01:55 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
25 May 2014 02:24 #178859 by jeb
Yeah, it tops out at three damage, and it's such a pain to get to actually use. So close! Keep at it--round two is the toughest one and if you can't heal up in between it can be a rough go in that last round.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SaMoKo

More
25 May 2014 02:30 #178861 by Gary Sax
I couldn't figure out what the correct cloaking strategy was against the boss, I cloaked when it said power surge but I'm not sure that was right.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds