October 09, 2023
2525 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2725 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What board games are you BUYING?

More
22 Dec 2016 14:19 - 22 Dec 2016 14:20 #241196 by JEM
Black version of SW Risk has been on sale for $25, I think it will again. I downloaded the updated rules for DDD, so I'll see if it's worth $16.
Last edit: 22 Dec 2016 14:20 by JEM.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Dec 2016 15:04 #241200 by stoic

JEM wrote: Black version of SW Risk has been on sale for $25, I think it will again. I downloaded the updated rules for DDD, so I'll see if it's worth $16.

FYI, the Black version of SW Risk is also on sale at Tuesday Morning for $19.99. I saw it the other day while shopping with the wife.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JEM

More
22 Dec 2016 17:59 #241206 by Dr. Mabuse

bfkiller wrote: I received Cave Evil: Warcults in the mail yesterday. There's something strangely satisfying about the box being fastened with velcro. And that is the greatest cover to a rulebook that I've seen. I'm looking forward to poring through everything over the holiday break.

Mine should arrive in the next few days,...hopefully.

More
23 Dec 2016 09:42 #241246 by charlest
I picked up Thebes for $12. Been wanting that one for awhile.

More
23 Dec 2016 13:38 #241258 by rocketkiwi
I bought the Super Meeple version of Tikal because the CAD is weak and I wanted those sweet temples.

More
24 Dec 2016 11:57 - 24 Dec 2016 16:31 #241284 by stoic
Stumbled into a fair trade for Reaper which forced me to purchase Talisman.
Last edit: 24 Dec 2016 16:31 by stoic.

More
25 Dec 2016 08:45 #241302 by Shellhead
Thanks to my discount card and a coupon, I picked up the base set of Firefly for $24 at Barnes & Noble. Although I am a big fan of the show, my one experience at playing the game suggested that it might be a shelf toad. Not because it's a bad game, but because it's such a long game that it is harder to get on the table and may wear out its welcome after the first two hours. But it's a Gale Force Nine game and the price was right. Also, on the uncommon occasions that I need a 3-player game, this is another option.

More
27 Dec 2016 22:00 #241396 by Shellhead

Gary Sax wrote:

Shellhead wrote: Received my stripped Silver Tower from eBay yesterday. It arrived in a large, flat bubblepack-lined envelope that was laying on my porch, partially exposed to the elements. Fortunately, it was just cold and dry outside, so the envelope was unharmed. Inside were all the components that I expected, still individually shrink-wrapped. So I got all of Silver Tower excepts for the minis and the box for $1, plus $20 for shipping from Hawaii. Now I just need to scan a bunch of pictures and whip up a batch of wooden tokens. I have plenty of 1" and 2" wooden nickels on hand, but I think that I might want 1.25" or 1.5" tokens instead. The 2" tokens are too big for the boards, and the 1" are a bit small for the art that I intend to scan.

Please take pictures when you finish if you can, this is tempting to do (and doable)!

I just posted some pics in the Silver Tower discussion thread. I knew that my largest tokens were going to be a little too large for the map scale, but IIRC, that was a bit of an issue with the larger based minis that normally come with Silver Tower, like the Ogroid Thaumaturge. I wanted a few of the larger creatures on the large tokens, so they would stand out, reflect their relative scale better, and show off the original pictures better. I only did this for five tokens: The Gaunt Summoner, the Ogroid Thaumaturge, the Pink Horrors, and the Exalted Flamer of Tzeentch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
27 Dec 2016 23:12 #241401 by Gary Sax
It looks really good! Rather have it than minis.

More
28 Dec 2016 07:39 #241406 by wadenels
Picked up Chill Black Morn Manor for cheap. Always been interested in it but don't know anybody that owns it, so very much a test drive purchase.

Got the new version of Acquire for Xmas too. Looks like feathers are sufficiently ruffled at BGG over some of the changes. I'm not an Acquire veteran and can't really say whether the changes are for the better or not; I'm just glad its back in print.

More
28 Dec 2016 08:53 #241408 by Shellhead

Gary Sax wrote: It looks really good! Rather have it than minis.

If you do end up buying a stripped copy of Silver Tower, I can send you my token sheet files. I used Excel to lay out the tokens. That will save you hours of scanning and cropping. I did leave a section of the black stat disk on each of the hero tokens, because it didn't bother me and sort of looked like each character was carrying a shield. You could trim that part off each token with scissors, or maybe do some image editing before printing. My least favorite part is the scissor work. I used a nice craft glue (mod podge), but regular Elmer's would work too.

More
28 Dec 2016 09:02 #241409 by Shellhead

wadenels wrote: Picked up Chill Black Morn Manor for cheap. Always been interested in it but don't know anybody that owns it, so very much a test drive purchase.

Got the new version of Acquire for Xmas too. Looks like feathers are sufficiently ruffled at BGG over some of the changes. I'm not an Acquire veteran and can't really say whether the changes are for the better or not; I'm just glad its back in print.

I sold my copy of Black Morn Manor about 15 years ago. The game has some neat ideas, but ultimately plays out like a very long football game between two teams with weak offense and strong defense.

Aside from a less legible board and the loss of eight tiles, the new edition of Acquire looks fine. If I were to re-acquire the game, I would want one of the '60 editions for the nostalgia factor. The one with the amber board and the plastic tiles, although the wood tiles would probably look nicer.

More
28 Dec 2016 11:58 #241417 by JEM
A local store here has the Avalon Hill version for sale for about $20 I think. I don't know if that's worth it.

More
28 Dec 2016 12:33 - 28 Dec 2016 12:42 #241421 by Colorcrayons
The 1999 version? If so, well worth it.

The only one I think compares is the Schmidt spiel edition. The old 3M versions are great too, but for different reasons.

That said, the only honest drawback for me is the legibility of the board. Me being the handy creative type, I can fix that. But in general it was a poor design decision by Hasbro.

I played 3 games of the newest edition. I too am not an acquire grognard, so other than aesthetics (which are both good and bad) I have no complaints. Those who are grognards can keep their old 3M versions while telling whippersnappers to get off their lawn. But even knowing the differences, its still fundamentally the same game.

I want one myself.
Last edit: 28 Dec 2016 12:42 by Colorcrayons.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JEM

More
28 Dec 2016 13:47 #241422 by Gregarius
I'm totally an Acquire grognard, but I had no idea there were any differences in the new edition. I don't really pay attention to that sort of thing. Ultimately, I guess it doesn't matter, but it sucks in the sense that there was nothing wrong with the original design that needed "fixing." I guess losing a column of numbers shortens the game?

I have three versions of the game: the AH big box, the 3M bookshelf, and the 3M w/ wooden pieces. Even though I learned to love the game on the AH big box, the standard bookshelf version is probably my favorite. I like the compact size and the black tiles with white numbers really *pop* when you're playing. My one complaint is that the hotel chain markers don't nest on the pieces like they do in the big box. The wooden one I got kind of as a "quest" sort of item. I almost never play with it, and should probably send it on its way to another appreciative owner.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.380 seconds