Front Page

Content

Authors

Game Index

Forums

Site Tools

Submissions

About

Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Connect with other board gamers and organize online gaming here.

Memoir' 44 online Days of Wonder

More
02 Dec 2010 14:37 - 02 Dec 2010 14:46 #81018 by Dogmatix
Sagrilarus wrote:

$60 with a $30 coupon is a heck of a deal if you have a DoW title already picked out (though that's $30 off full retail) because you essentially get all the Memoir you're ever going to really want to play for that $60. That's about 240 deluxe games, 600 base games.

M44's Winter Wars is $30MSRP, so i figure this would get me the new physical game expansion along with the digital game. To me, $49.99 is pretty much the standard price for videogames, so, if the game works (and this one clearly does) that's about what I expect to pay. But again, it's a 1-time payment, not an annual "license fee". I would also expect to see a full fledged scenario editor at some point down the road.
Last edit: 02 Dec 2010 14:46 by Dogmatix.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Dec 2010 00:10 #81089 by Jason Lutes
This is a fantastic online implementation, but the pricing model sucks hard.

More
03 Dec 2010 09:38 #81108 by Sagrilarus
Jason Lutes wrote:

This is a fantastic online implementation, but the pricing model sucks hard.

I'd wager you could look at a $60 purchase as a lifetime membership and never run out of game gold.

S.

More
03 Dec 2010 15:47 #81183 by Jason Lutes
It's just the pay-per-play model that drives me crazy. I much prefer paying a lump sum for unlimited plays, so I can feel free to dink around and have fun at my financial leisure instead of feeling like every time I fire up a match I'm bleeding a little bit of money.

More
03 Dec 2010 15:56 #81184 by Dogmatix
Jason Lutes wrote:

It's just the pay-per-play model that drives me crazy. I much prefer paying a lump sum for unlimited plays, so I can feel free to dink around and have fun at my financial leisure instead of feeling like every time I fire up a match I'm bleeding a little bit of money.

Yea, that's the bit that gets me. 2 GG for solo play +2 GG for sudden death +x? It makes me feel like I'm pumping quarters into an old NeoGeo machine in an arcade.

I did pull the trigger on the $60 set-up though as I was already running low on the "100 starter ingots". Promptly turned around and used the $30 coupon to pick up winter wars. It seemed like a reasonable way to go. [BTW, that coupon just sits in your account; nothing indicates you have it until you go to checkout of their webstore, so make sure you are logged into your account when you shop]

More
03 Dec 2010 15:56 - 03 Dec 2010 15:57 #81185 by Josh Look
I agree, the pay to play is dumb for this game. It's not an MMO, it doesn't necessarily need constant maintenance on the part of the developers. New scenarios here and there, but not anything weekly. How many PC games come out every year that you just buy once, install, and are allowed to play online for free? There's simply no excuse for what DoW is doing. Mark my words, with the current model as it is, this will fail, which is too bad, as it's an otherwise fine game.
Last edit: 03 Dec 2010 15:57 by Josh Look.

More
03 Dec 2010 16:36 #81188 by Sagrilarus
About fifty actively playing right now, which is significantly more than two nights ago.

S.

More
03 Dec 2010 16:39 #81189 by southernman
Another loss to the AI.

More
03 Dec 2010 18:40 #81209 by Dogmatix
Southernman wrote:

Another loss to the AI.

I'm 0-3 myself so far. I dread what the "expert" AI must be like...

More
03 Dec 2010 23:12 #81224 by Sagrilarus
I won one and lost one against Sword Beach.

S.

More
04 Dec 2010 08:55 #81236 by southernman
Dogmatix wrote:

Southernman wrote:

Another loss to the AI.

I'm 0-3 myself so far. I dread what the "expert" AI must be like...

What makes it worse is that it gives you a breakdown of your dice roll percentages at the end - that last game the AI was 61% lucky while I was 43% .... that just makes me more pissed off, I had already worked that out as I watched all the stars show on my dice and a lack of them on the AIs. Frakkin computers.

More
09 Dec 2010 12:16 - 09 Dec 2010 12:18 #81598 by Sagrilarus
For those already registered, Days of Wonder has released a new version with a flatter price structure. They've also given out 30 additional gold to play with.

They appear to have cleaned up a bit of usability issues as well, including showing your current gold on the main screen which seemed like a pretty glaring oversight in the prior version.

S.
Last edit: 09 Dec 2010 12:18 by Sagrilarus.

More
09 Dec 2010 12:37 #81603 by southernman
It's still screwing me over with the dice rolls ;-p

More
09 Dec 2010 12:40 - 09 Dec 2010 12:42 #81604 by Sagrilarus
I figured as much. That was mentioned in the email they sent me, right under the bullet point "other various fixes." Yours doesn't include the line "even worse dice rolls for Southernman" does it? I mean you think they'd tell you instead of going behind your back like that.

S.
Last edit: 09 Dec 2010 12:42 by Sagrilarus.

More
09 Dec 2010 13:22 #81608 by southernman
Sagrilarus wrote:

I figured as much. That was mentioned in the email they sent me, right under the bullet point "other various fixes." Yours doesn't include the line "even worse dice rolls for Southernman" does it? I mean you think they'd tell you instead of going behind your back like that.

S.

I've already had Eric giving me a bit of shit back when I moaned to him about my crappy dice after I had submitted a bug report on my first play (apparently the 'auto-resume within 15mins' if you lose your internet connection doesn't work at the moment) - maybe he is just an AI program too (???)

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.406 seconds