October 09, 2023
2640 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2829 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Rab's top ten games

More
09 Jul 2014 12:34 - 09 Jul 2014 12:40 #181889 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Re: Rab's top ten games
Anybody wanna buy a game?

(or should that be 'Any body wanna buy a game?'...I never get that right...)
Last edit: 09 Jul 2014 12:40 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: edulis, DukeofChutney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jul 2014 13:32 - 09 Jul 2014 13:34 #181895 by dragonstout
Replied by dragonstout on topic Re: Rab's top ten games

wadenels wrote: I like SUSD and Florence's video reviews for their enthusiasm. It's a nice break from reviews that are just rules regurgitations. I wish DowntimeTown our whatever it was called was still around. There's entertainment value there.

The thing is, if I want quality video entertainment, I'll watch one of the literally thousands of great 30-minute TV episodes. Not an amateur board-game-joke video.

Rab's mainly not a video-reviewer, though, all his reviews are written up.
Last edit: 09 Jul 2014 13:34 by dragonstout.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
09 Jul 2014 14:33 #181899 by SuperflyPete
I'd argue that you're in the minority, since Vine was created specifically to create video entertainment shorts, and YouTube comedy channels like NicePeter get more hits in and subscribers in a year than F:AT and BGG have gotten in their lifetimes.

Not saying you're wrong, just saying that people like short, funny things.

More
09 Jul 2014 14:56 #181900 by VonTush
Replied by VonTush on topic Re: Rab's top ten games

SuperflyTNT wrote: Not saying you're wrong, just saying that people like short, funny things.

That's not what my ex-girlfriends would say! Ehh? Ehh? Know what I'm sayin'?
The following user(s) said Thank You: wadenels, Applejack

More
09 Jul 2014 15:07 #181902 by Not Sure
Replied by Not Sure on topic Re: Rab's top ten games

VonTush wrote:

SuperflyTNT wrote: Not saying you're wrong, just saying that people like short, funny things.

Is there a video of you saying that line somewhere? Text is for olds.
The following user(s) said Thank You: VonTush, wadenels

More
09 Jul 2014 15:25 #181905 by black inferno
Oh man, just dug up the rest of his list. Talk about losing all credibility:

51. MUNCHKNIZIA 3: ADDITION ADVENTURES IN THE MINES OF SUBT'RACTION (Subterranean Action)

More
09 Jul 2014 15:26 - 09 Jul 2014 15:27 #181906 by Matt Thrower
I meant to warn y'all that Rab's a fan of the site and would likely read this thread, but I got in too late.

Unfortunate. It's train wrecks like this that make me regret being involved in this hobby.

I've played a lot of Reiner Knizia games, and I'd support what Rab said about them in the main.
Last edit: 09 Jul 2014 15:27 by Matt Thrower.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scissors, DeletedUser

More
09 Jul 2014 15:32 #181907 by black inferno
Knizia's great. A bunch of the games on Rab's list are great. Y'all are great. Now shut the fuck up.

*holds up a photo of Stefan Feld and mutters "fight the real enemy"

More
09 Jul 2014 15:38 #181909 by Michael Barnes
He IS the Kwizats Haderach!

More
09 Jul 2014 15:39 #181910 by Applejack
Replied by Applejack on topic Re: Rab's top ten games

VonTush wrote:

That got an actual LOL from me in a thread that's filled with a lot of negative vibes. Good job!

I would play games with Rab. I think he'd recommend something fun and he'd be fun to play with. Even of the game was stupid, the quality of the company is many times more important than the quality of the game. Boardgames are like BBQ sauce to hanging with your homies—i.e. the BBQ'ed meats, to quote a bottle of one of my favorites; "good sauce makes bad barbeque good and good barbeque gooder."

More
09 Jul 2014 15:42 #181912 by wadenels
Replied by wadenels on topic Re: Rab's top ten games
Not many people have the ability and the motivation to put together a video piece that's both funny and informative. Florence does it well. So well that sometimes I can't tell if the funny is intentional or not, but I enjoy it.

I came a lot later than most of you to this hobby, so I didn't grow up laying GW games and I didn't know what Avalon Hill was until I saw Avalon Hill games that also said Hasbro on the back. Now I've gone back and discovered a lot of those old games, and the ones that I consistently enjoy and will not sell are the Games Workshop games. They're fun. Playing them has changed my opinions about many newer games that I previously held in pretty high regard. Playing El Grande, Tigris & Euphrates, Age of Renaissance, and Civ/AdvCiv did the same thing. So I get where some of you are coming from that you need experience with the old to critique the new. Even so, my top 10 would probably get crucified, burned, and chewed to pieces if I went to the trouble to make one. Why? People don't go to my BGG ratings, look at what I've rated highest, and lambast me for it. If I made a top 10 video it would probably get torn to pieces, and that sucks because it would take me way more time and effort than rating games I play on BGG does.

Vasel does a Top games list every year (or so?) and people tear it apart. Florence does a Top games list and people tear it apart. What's the point? If people's Top games videos bring those games to a wider audience, which I believe they do, what purpose does tearing apart the list serve?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

More
09 Jul 2014 15:46 #181913 by Michael Barnes
I meant to warn y'all that Rab's a fan of the site and would likely read this thread, but I got in too late

Nobody's ever stopped to think about my feelings before they posted.

Rab's a big boy, he can stand up for himself and probably quite well.

This whole thing didn't have to go down so negatively. I made a couple of what I think are honest criticisms of the list, the approach to reviewing that I've seen from him, and the degree of experience I see coming from him. Wasn't intended to be negative, just honest opinons. I don't know Rab, he's probably an awesome guy and odds are, if we met we'd probably have fun over a good game. Used to be that F:AT was about being able to have these kinds of discussions- open, honest, and sometimes a little brawly- and no one got pissy or took it all too seriously. I sure as hell never do. I just sit back and laugh when some of you guys think I've got this "superiority" complex or you guys get angry about me talking about El Grande, whatever. I think it's hilarious. Takes me back to the good ol' days on BGG.

Goes to show- once again- that blabbing about board games on the internet and playing them are really two different hobbies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Cranberries

More
09 Jul 2014 15:55 - 09 Jul 2014 15:57 #181915 by ChristopherMD
As far as I can tell only 1 person here criticized Rab by questioning his street cred and a few others disagreed with some stuff on his list, which is par for course for top ten lists. Now suddenly this site is nothing but a haven for the biggest assholes in the hobby. People seriously need to get it through their thick skulls that a single persons opinions on anything, regardless of how much street cred they have, do not represent the whole of F:AT or even a majority of it. This is mountains from molehills.
Last edit: 09 Jul 2014 15:57 by ChristopherMD.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, san il defanso

More
09 Jul 2014 16:22 #181917 by VonTush
Replied by VonTush on topic Re: Rab's top ten games
This is what happens when Sag or Uba aren't around at the moment to keep us in check...Shit escalates.

More
09 Jul 2014 17:02 #181920 by robertflorence
WHOAH.
That snobbery dig at the start of my post was a joke. All you guys are kin, is the point I was making. I really like Barnes' writing too (particularly when it's on the more analytical side) and appreciate your research into my stuff. Haha! I really really hate Knizia's Lord of the Rings, and a fair amount of his other games. T&E is HORRIBLE. But then, I love Ra. I don't really do much "dudebro" ranting about games at all. Not my style. My columns are recommendation columns, like I said. I just like to poke fun occasionally.

But yeah, this site, these people, as far as I'm concerned - ALL GOOD. I certainly don't visit this site to see people being nice to each other.

One last thing on this Top 50 list - it was genuinely "a bit of fun". I love too many board games to even properly rank them. There are some games I forgot to put on there, like Escape from Colditz and Shogi. But I'll live.

I just like lists.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.211 seconds