October 09, 2023
2515 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2716 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Gates of Arkham (2nd Elder Sign Expansion)

More
30 Sep 2014 00:46 #187868 by bioball
Gates of Arkham

Looks like we are hitting the town. The big mechanic change is that the Adventure Cards are played face down but the backs are locations in Arkham. You have a promise of certain rewards but don't know exactly what you will face.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Sep 2014 00:58 - 30 Sep 2014 00:59 #187869 by ThirstyMan
Can't stand variations on Yahtzee! (Quarriors, this etc). Chucking loads of dice does not do it for me as a sole mechanic.

What is Eldritch Horror like now that it has been out for a while?

Anyone played the Forsaken Lore expansion?
Last edit: 30 Sep 2014 00:59 by ThirstyMan.

More
30 Sep 2014 08:27 #187874 by hotseatgames
This sounds cool. I really like the physical version of this one; unlike digital you can see everything at once, and you actually get to... Roll dice.

More
30 Sep 2014 09:40 #187878 by JEM

ThirstyMan wrote: Can't stand variations on Yahtzee! (Quarriors, this etc). Chucking loads of dice does not do it for me as a sole mechanic.

Miss a turn, miss a turn.

Miss all the turns.

More
30 Sep 2014 10:32 #187881 by bioball

ThirstyMan wrote: Can't stand variations on Yahtzee! (Quarriors, this etc). Chucking loads of dice does not do it for me as a sole mechanic.

Looks like you will also be required to close gates and perform other tasks in this Elder Sign expansion as well.

I like Eldritch Horror because it cleans the AH turn structure up and allows everyone to do something on their turn. It also prevent a lot of the "stalling" that could occur in AH when things were not completely won, but it going to take 5-8 more turns to get there.

More
30 Sep 2014 10:32 #187882 by VonTush
Very excited for this...Elder Sign is one of mine and the wife's favorite games.
What I like is that they're changing the way to play the game rather than going the Arkham route of adding more and more and just making it a modular mess.

Forsaken Lore rounds out the game and the base game feels complete. Don't get me wrong though it is fully playable and enjoyable, but it just thickens all the decks and I think it is close to a must buy if a person likes the game.

As far as the game itself - There are times where it feels a bit like "chucking dice" but instead of dice you're flipping cards and then chucking dice to see which outcome you read. I like it quite a bit, it is a fun adventure game, but there is a lot of randomness to the game. There's no intelligence in the AI so basically it comes down to learning the ways to limit the impact of card flips and dice rolls.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bioball

More
30 Sep 2014 13:01 #187893 by jeb

I like Vanilla ELDRITCH HORROR. It really tidies up ARKHAM, and as noted, can make for a lot less downtime for folks that need to get "across town" in a big ARKHAM game. That said, it lacks the same narrative power as ARKHAM. The whole "Nun with a Whiskey Bottle" magic is distilled (huehuehue) out. It plays much faster and leaner though, no denying it.

More
30 Sep 2014 17:24 - 30 Sep 2014 17:24 #187933 by bioball
I have an ELDRITCH HORROR review that is stuck in a holding pattern here on the site, but I agree with the sentiment.

ELDER SIGN is also my lady friend's favorite game to play with me. She seems to enjoys the co-op, dice chuckin', and figuring out how to mitigate bad roles. But Richard DID design the game with his eldest daughter in mind who wanted some of the same features of Arkham, but not Arkham's complexity.
Last edit: 30 Sep 2014 17:24 by bioball.

More
30 Sep 2014 17:40 #187939 by wadenels
I really enjoy Elder Sign. I can roll with the fact that it's a dice game and the weird situations and difficulty variations that can arise from that. My wife likes coops, she loves rolling a bunch of dice, and so naturally Elder Sign is always high on her want-to-play list.

I really dug the 1st expansion because it did a couple interesting things without over-complexifying the game. This 2nd expansion looks cool; I like the idea of a new play mode/style as long as it also doesn't up the complexity too much. I'll probably buy it day 1.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds