October 09, 2023
2640 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2829 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Blood Bowl TM with all 4 leagues

More
20 Oct 2014 18:05 #188989 by Jackwraith
I think it would lose a lot of its replayability, since you'd essentially be playing mostly the same players over and over and doing nothing but going for fans. There are some teams where the upgrades can really turn the tide or bring a horrible position into a solid one that makes for a more interesting game to the person who's hopelessly behind. Honestly, the tactics of the original game are a lot more complex than this game. I'm all about just sitting down and tossing some dice on some nights, but if you actually want to WIN Blood Bowl, you're better of putting some thought into it (or playing Skaven.)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Oct 2015 10:57 #212226 by Mr. White
Rise From Your Grave!!!

I've played a ton of the base game and enjoy it a lot. Played a little with the first expansion, and though I liked the new teams I was less excited about the new options (contracts, enchanted balls, etc). It made the game start to feel like typical FFG bloat of more unnecessary tokens, plus I agree with what was said earlier that the cheating token pool became diluted. Overall, it felt like more cruft was added, but not more fun.

Anyway, I've been skeptical about the second expansion as I'm not sure adding even more bits and options is the way I'd want play. The new teams may be a nice feature, but not sure they alone are worth the purchase.

The only thing I'd like to see for this game is one more mini expansion, maybe a PoD for a new league, but no new rules. This game needs some more 'good' teams. I'd go with a Lustria Conference that would include Amazon, Norse, and Lizardmen. They all come from the same region, and would be considered good, or maybe neutral, for the norse. This is BB norse, so an off-shoot of the chaos marauder variety that explored the new world (Lustria) who's women ended up becoming the Amazon.

Halflings would be fun, but I'm not sure who they'd be paired with. Ideally, it would have been humans, halflings, and dwarves together as they all inhabit the lands in and around the Empire and are on the best terms of the races of order. I understand including an elf team in the base set though. Anyway, at this point I don't see how they could be included in any league. They wouldn't pair well with the only other good race left, the high elves, and the other neutral races (Khemri and Ogres)...uh...halflings, khemri, and ogres sharing star players and such within their league...I'm not seeing it. Maybe the best option would be for a PoD of just the halfling team and include them in with the original human, elf, dwarf, conference.

More
09 Oct 2015 11:09 #212227 by Jackwraith
What many people refer to as "FFG bloat", I look at as "enticing options." As noted, we hadn't played with the stadia and penalties last year but have since included them at various points. The key thing is "optional". I like that FFG have oriented many of their expansions in that direction. If you want more teams, great. Here they are. Oh, and here are a few other ideas if you want to include them. They're not included as fixes nor are they presented as "the way the game should be played now" aka "power creep" (although the downed abilities aspect was starting to roll in that direction...) They kept piling on stuff in the CE expansions, too, but all of those have been great because it's all optional. You pick your level of crazy and roll forward.

More
16 Oct 2015 07:15 - 16 Oct 2015 07:22 #212556 by Mr. White
Thinking about the under represented teams some more...

I definitely think a Lustria Conference is the way to go to round out full teams.

As far as the Ogres, Halflings, Khemri, High Elves, etc. I'd simply do up a little PoD expansion like those for SH:DA and have it simply be Star Players you can shuffle into the existing conferences. For example, maybe stars like Puggy Baconbreath (halflings) and Prince Moranian (high elves) would be inserted into the OWA star player deck. Seems a simple way to get these other races into the game.
Last edit: 16 Oct 2015 07:22 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
16 Oct 2015 08:35 #212558 by JEM
I agree that more teams would be nice. The Foul Play teams are good fun, particularly the goblins. We used to play with the penalties etc, but since pared down the game to base rules only, though often going only four rounds with no events (enough tournaments to have one each round).

Some kind of bidding for turn order mechanism may be cool.

More
19 Oct 2015 23:35 #212841 by Oatmeal

Jackwraith wrote: It seems that most of the teams based on tackling and/or injuring...suffer when earlier in the turn rotation because of a lack of good targets or any targets

I think most of those teams just suffer period.

Enchanted balls are a must for the fun factor, they help the "board" come to life instead of players just being kinda dead once they're played. And they make more stuff happen.

Stadiums are stupid, since they try to penalize you for doing things that are fun (like tackling) and just sit there all game without even changing, screwing teams that rely on these things.

More
20 Oct 2015 13:31 #212896 by Delobius
The game is great, though I haven't used the ref rules yet.

I'm not sure how I feel about the contracts though - I like that it adds some uncertainty to the final totals, but they're really quite valuable (2-5 fans each, so the average is around 3), so every game with them so far has been won by whoever got the most contracts.

Vampire team is terrible. I feel like they need a buff or something.

More
20 Oct 2015 13:36 #212897 by Mr. White
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of contracts either.

I feel like the dwarfs are in the bottom spot and I do like playing Dark Elves and drawing a vampire star player!

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.357 seconds