October 09, 2023
2523 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2724 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

XCOM doesn't ship with a rule book?

More
28 Jan 2015 18:14 #196510 by Shellhead
That's an interesting angle: XCOM as a new species of shelf toad. Playable for a limited time, then completely obsolete and unplayable.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jan 2015 19:23 #196516 by hotseatgames
I admit I hadn't paid this game much mind, but I had always assumed the app was an enhancement, not a requirement.

Although I don't judge Zombie 15' for requiring a soundtrack.

More
28 Jan 2015 19:27 #196517 by Michael Barnes
As long as smartphones and tablets don't go obsolete and vanish from the face of the earth in the next six months, I think XCOM will be OK on that front. Beyond that, the handful of people still playing this game will likely have worked out a "doomsday plan" to put all of the app content into a text file on BGG.

More
28 Jan 2015 19:30 #196518 by Grudunza
It is a great game, though. The app integrates very well with the game and it has some unique things for a co-op.

The app has all of the rules and a tutorial in it. A hard copy would have been nice, though.

More
28 Jan 2015 19:41 #196519 by Colorcrayons

stoic wrote:

The Best Buggy Whip makers lamented the rise of the automobile.

How long before they abandon the tech and operating systems needed to play this game? I wonder how long they'll support it and what the software engineer contract said when they had it created? I suppose that they'll support it as long as it's profitable. But, this is a new genre. I'm wary though because I'm old enough to remember too many computer systems and operating systems that faded into oblivion along with orphaned and obsolete software. But, if one took the perceptive that this new X-COM game is simply a consumable form of entertainment, then the purchase might be taken in a more positive light. Who says it has to be shelf-worthy or even have a shelf-life beyond a year? What if this is the new trend of the new: disposable "Bic-lighter" games?

Speaking as someone who has a android tablet and phone that's just a year old, and I can't view many websites or jse many apps because I can't run android 4.4 without jailbreaking them, breaking my warranty or bricking the devices, I'll pass on just about any physical commodity that requires tech that is easily made obsolete.

I don't care how good the game is, or how the app makes playing it a breeze.

It still doesn't address the planned obsolescence of technology that cannot evwn make it a year before I have to spend more money in order to play it.

The lack of a physical rulebook is just a very blatant reminder of this. I hope it sells well, and I do hope that somehow analog and digital gaming can come to terms in a more user friendly way. But as of now, neither industry is prepared for this amalgamtion, and FFG may very well learn an expensive mistake that makes the android boardgame look like a blockbuster hit despite the license slapped on the box.

But I'm sure the tech cult who need to have the newest and best hardware will come along behind me and prove me wrong. But I enjoy being responsible enough to not cater to such lack of consumer ethics that the masses seem to believe is necessary because of contemoprary marketing.

A big, fat NOPE.

More
28 Jan 2015 19:48 #196520 by stoic

Michael Barnes wrote: As long as smartphones and tablets don't go obsolete and vanish from the face of the earth in the next six months, I think XCOM will be OK on that front. Beyond that, the handful of people still playing this game will likely have worked out a "doomsday plan" to put all of the app content into a text file on BGG.

I owned both of these Buggy Whips:

Attachment 300px-Palm-IMG_7025.jpg not found

Attachment 248186-the-palm-treo-getting-closer.jpg not found

Attachments:

More
28 Jan 2015 20:01 - 30 Jan 2015 17:19 #196522 by randyo

stoic wrote: It still doesn't address the planned obsolescence of technology that cannot evwn make it a year before I have to spend more money in order to play it.

As a game developer who cares about games as "art" and the long term implications of tech obsolescence, this is quite depressing to me. I make games that I care about, and yet even my first commercial game from less than four years ago is old and won't sell, because I made it for early iPhones and it has no widescreen support. Jon Blow (of Braid fame) talks a lot about doing his work from the ground up, but it's depressingly challenging and time-consuming. Writers don't make their own paper, why shouldn't I use Unity? And technology can be so ingrained into the construction of mechanic and aesthetic I believe it's foolish to ignore the tech of today just to remain timeless. I don't know that I'll ever come to terms with the ever-shifting forms of interaction, and I sometimes wonder how design will shift with the rise of VR, especially since I couldn't care less about VR.[video] game developer who cares about games as "art" and the long term implications of tech obsolescence, this is quite depressing to me. I make games that I care about, and yet even my first commercial game from less than four years ago is old and won't sell, because I made it for early iPhones and it has no widescreen support. Jon Blow (of Braid fame) talks a lot about doing his work from the ground up, but it's depressingly challenging and time-consuming. Writers don't make their own paper, why shouldn't I use Unity? And technology can be so ingrained into the construction of mechanic and aesthetic I believe it's foolish to ignore the tech of today just to remain timeless.

I don't know that I'll ever come to terms with the ever-shifting forms of interaction, and I sometimes wonder how design will shift with the rise of VR, especially since I couldn't care less about VR.
Last edit: 30 Jan 2015 17:19 by randyo.

More
28 Jan 2015 20:20 #196523 by stoic

Shellhead wrote: That's an interesting angle: XCOM as a new species of shelf toad. Playable for a limited time, then completely obsolete and unplayable.

A new species of shelf-toad, indeed….

Isn't it a known factor though that certain sectors of the market use planned obsolescence to increase profits? Makers of cars, washing machines, appliances etc. use this method--me thinks that so do those who publish games. The concept works. A seller might want to artificially or intentionally create a limited useful life for a product if they want to drive sales and increase profits. This forces consumerism upon players since they have to always purchase the next generation of the product. Another way to limit the life of a product or drive sales is to force players to purchase new products to remain competitive in league play, e.g., MtG; this is such a stark contrast to older games that encouraged repeated plays, were self-contained, and were played for decades by fans without purchasing new items.

Adding technology to a game which does not have an included hardware interface and software releases for certain fad operating systems is, by its very nature, building in a limited useful life, isn't it? I guess that I'm a Luddite--also, let me grab my cane, raise it in the air, and shake it. ;-)

I can think of a game from my childhood, Dark Tower, as one example of a game that did successfully merged the technology of its time to a board game. But, it's still around simply because that electronic hardware still works (i.e., the battery operated tower) and was self-contained and include inside the game box.* I'm sure that others here can come up with more examples.

Attachment 200px-Dark_tower_box_cover.jpg not found

*I wish that I still owned my copy--it was lost to oblivion when I went to college.
Attachments:

More
30 Jan 2015 14:54 #196530 by Gary Sax
I have an open mind about integrating an ap into the game but I'm not especially excited. We'll see.

More
30 Jan 2015 16:16 #196553 by mads b.
I love how everyone on this site is all "nobody cares about this game" and at the same time it's the talk of the town amongst a lot of the board gamers I know here in Denmark.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
30 Jan 2015 16:38 #196556 by OldHippy
I think it's a great idea for one game, and that's all this is. Will I buy it... no. But I'd love to try it out and I don't dismiss it out of hand simply because of this. One person may call it a gimmick and another an interesting experiment.

It's not like it's a big deal. A lot of people will find it interesting and as long as they know you need an app that's fine. Shipping with a CD would be a good idea but if they want to do it this way that's fine too. Some games require pencils, some a CD player, some a smartphone. I'm all for FFG trying to experiment a little bit and the idea that the intricacies of the rules are hidden from us is a good idea in theory. I mean in real life you have no clue what you rolled or why this encounter happened or where it came from... this is making sure that many of the rules are invisible to you and hoping that you experience greater immersion as a result.

If I was still buying games regularly I would certainly give this a shot. I'm all for any kind of experimentation in boardgame design and this is just another way to do that. If you don't have a smartphone that's fine... there's literally thousands of other games for you to enjoy.

No rule book? Wow... that's great. The more I think about it, the more interesting that is to me.

More
30 Jan 2015 16:49 #196558 by Shellhead
Did anybody here buy Atmosfear? You needed a VCR to play that game. I gave it a try at GenCon back in the early '90s. Glad that I didn't buy it, because I don't even own a working VCR anymore.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic

More
30 Jan 2015 17:13 #196561 by phandec
You guys who are crying obsolete technology do realize that there is a web browser based version of the app, right?

If you don't have a tablet (very plausible) or a smartphone (possible) I think you'd almost have to still have a PC connected to the internet. Unless you're a total technophobe, in which case why the heck would you even be interested in this game?

And I highly doubt that internet browsers are going to become obsolete. Now, the Unity Player it requires might no longer be supported at some point. But FFG is trying something different here. They may never do it again, but to complain that they didn't give you all the "stuff" you are used to having seems... well, it seems expected, really. We gamers don't like change.

It's a neat concept that blends a boardgame with a phone game. It's certainly not for everyone but to condemn it because it doesn't come with a full rulebook is silly. Especially since you know there will be some FAQ at some point, and they can update the app with any errata necessary.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 433, OldHippy, cdennett

More
30 Jan 2015 17:20 - 30 Jan 2015 17:38 #196563 by OldHippy

Shellhead wrote: Did anybody here buy Atmosfear? You needed a VCR to play that game. I gave it a try at GenCon back in the early '90s. Glad that I didn't buy it, because I don't even own a working VCR anymore.

You don't need a VCR anymore.. the whole thing is on youtube (and many other places)

it's not a big deal. And eh... if the game can't be played one day in the future... who cares? It's just an experiment.

I can't think of any board game ever that intentionally hides the rules from us (except maybe Eine gegen Eine, which sounded interesting for one play) and really.. the rules are generally just clutter that take you out of the experience anyway. Adding numbers and spread sheets to shit doesn't do anything but obscure the intention of the game.. this removes a layer of abstraction and why not try it at least once?
Last edit: 30 Jan 2015 17:38 by OldHippy.

More
30 Jan 2015 17:46 #196564 by repoman
1) As I have previously opined this is a computer game with a board not a board game with a computer. It should come as no surprise that they have taken the computer game model of not including a rule book. A development I also despise. That being said, if I want to play X-com on/with a computer, I'll just play X-com on the damn computer.

2) I also really hate the perceived need or desirability of merging board games with electronic technology. A big part of board gaming's appeal is that batteries are not required. Anywhere, anytime, I have everything I need in the box. I continue to think of it as a gimmick.

3) I think this game is not targeted at board game hobbyists. I think it is clearly an attempt to get video gamers interested in board games. To expand the customer base. Not such a bad idea. Will it succeed in that level? I don't know but neither do I care. I have zero interest in this game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Josh Look, Jexik, wadenels

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.401 seconds