October 09, 2023
2523 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2724 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

XCOM doesn't ship with a rule book?

More
31 Jan 2015 01:05 #196581 by DrMurko
Anyone remember quest of the rings?

http://youtu.be/maBfOZQ2Cbs
The following user(s) said Thank You: Space Ghost

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jan 2015 03:13 - 31 Jan 2015 13:47 #196583 by cdennett
Holy crap guys, so much hate over the fear of obsolescence? It has a web app (which was already mentioned) that I have no doubt could be kept running for decades. Go look at the games from the 80s you can still play because the community keeps them alive. Fuck Space Alert because some day I'm not going to have a CD player anymore...wait, they have it in mp3 format? And if you want to claim it's a video game, at least everyone gets to sit in the same room to play without having to drag their PCs over for a LAN party.

How many IOS board games do the people here play that they claim are better than playing the real thing? Fucking hypocritical. I personally think this concept is awesome. The app can handle the fiddly bits while still allowing people to gather around a board and roll dice and fiddle with miniatures. They probably could have designed the same game with sand timers and a card-driven AI, but this sounds a hell of a lot more fun to play.

I get the game delivered on Monday and might just get a play in that night. It might suck, but I'll bet I'll still enjoy it. The game itself may not have staying power, as very few do, but I doubt it will be because of the app. While I don't want all board games to go down this road, I would love to see what else people could come up with.

As to the original topic, I would have preferred a real rule book, but I will wait to pass judgement until I play it.
Last edit: 31 Jan 2015 13:47 by cdennett. Reason: can't spell...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grudunza, OldHippy, Sevej

More
31 Jan 2015 10:47 #196588 by OldHippy
I lost the CD's for Space Alert so now I have to use the app to play it.. that's ok though, the app is better than the CD anyway and I still have the audio files on my computer too. It's always been my favorite co-op boardgame videogame.

Funny how little fuss I heard over that one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower

More
31 Jan 2015 11:39 #196594 by SebastianBludd
We might as well start freaking out over Omega Virus, Dark Tower, and Stop Thief while we're at it.

If it turns out that the game is an all-time classic and you don't want to mess with the web app, make planned obsolescence work for you. Instead of recycling your old phone take out the battery and throw it, the phone, and an AC adapter in the box with the app pre-loaded. Easy.

I'd never buy this game but someone in my group - after spotting it at our FLGS - plans to buy it and bring it to our next game night. Strangely enough, I'm most interested in seeing how the X-COM funding side of the game is handled since I'm already familiar with the co-op whack-a-mole concept.

More
31 Jan 2015 13:42 #196601 by wadenels
Omega Virus, Dark Tower, etc were self-contained.

More
31 Jan 2015 13:52 #196603 by cdennett

DrMurko wrote: Anyone remember quest of the rings?

http://youtu.be/maBfOZQ2Cbs

That...wow, that's awesome looking for it's time. I especially like that one of the lands/kingdoms/countries is named "Riproaria"...
The following user(s) said Thank You: scissors

More
01 Feb 2015 15:12 #196639 by Matt Thrower
Haven't played the game yet, but I have to say this sounds like a case of nerd rage to me.

The rules are in the app. Some enterprising person will no doubt copy them to text and make them available for general consumption. Hell, FFG may even get round to it before anyone else bothers.

In terms of obsolescence, the app runs on iOS and Android and in a web browser:

s3.amazonaws.com/xcomtbg/web/Player.html

So it's about as technology neutral and future-proof as anything digital can be. And as other examples already discussed on this thread (Atomsfear etc), gamers continue to find enterprising ways of ensuring these things remain available.

I think it's a neat idea. I think we're nearing the limits of where cardboard alone can take us in terms of tabletop game design. FFG desever some credit for pushing the envelope a little, not criticisms for the very minor shortcoming of not putting paper rules in the box.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, OldHippy, Sevej

More
01 Feb 2015 20:55 - 01 Feb 2015 20:57 #196652 by repoman
We're nearing the limits of where cardboard alone can take us in terms of game design?

That is about the most absurd thing I've read in I don't know how long. Yes, I think we've about reached the limits on where pen and ink can take us in terms of creative writing as well.

No rules in a boardgame is a minor criticism? Only if you believe that a board game shouldn't be self contained. Frankly I think one of the essential attributes of a boardgame is that they are

But then opinions that don't align with Mr. Thrower's are just "nerd rage" and should not be heeded.
Last edit: 01 Feb 2015 20:57 by repoman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pugnax555

More
01 Feb 2015 21:31 #196657 by OldHippy

repoman wrote: That is about the most absurd thing I've read in I don't know how long.

The carrot monkey skin planet from albatross sunset is smiling on the tomato garden at eleventeen nintey in the afternoon.... and it's penis is raging!

More
01 Feb 2015 21:43 #196660 by Sevej

wadenels wrote: Omega Virus, Dark Tower, etc were self-contained.

Actually they're worse since they were "unique". These days apps are transferred between platforms with very little hiccups. I can still play old console games in Android devices.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cdennett

More
01 Feb 2015 22:28 #196663 by VonTush
The tech and if it'll be around in years or not...Kind of a moot point I feel. I can still play old video games from the early 80's. And in 30 years, let's face it, XCom just isn't going to be that good of a game that will still be seeing table time in 30 years. If it is still being talked about once this decade is closed, I'll buy a copy and eat it.

Myself, digital as a game aid doesn't appeal to me. I won't go out of my way to try, but I won't shun the game and maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

More
04 Feb 2015 12:00 #196829 by Chaz
Has anyone actually played this thing yet? I'm thinking about picking it up because the whole app thing doesn't bother me, and I like the idea of the real time and divided role factors.

More
04 Feb 2015 12:22 #196836 by Grudunza

Chaz wrote: Has anyone actually played this thing yet? I'm thinking about picking it up because the whole app thing doesn't bother me, and I like the idea of the real time and divided role factors.

My review after playing a full game at BGG.con: www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1274633/alp...t-new-co-op-revealed

I loved it, but my copy is arriving today, so I'll see if it holds up after repeated plays.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy

More
04 Feb 2015 12:39 #196840 by SebastianBludd
My friend bought it this weekend and I'll let you know how it goes after we play it tomorrow night.

More
04 Feb 2015 20:13 #196885 by DukeofChutney
Having played the game, i think the app makes it one of the best coop games ever. It could be done with a cd for different scenarios and just a ton of tracks, although the game wouldn't adapt to the player actions at all. Maybe you could have a 2nd set of cd tracks you switch over too if things get bad. Anyway that would be rubbish, what makes it good is because the AI is handled by software you can convince yourself it is actually intelligent and not just a flow chart.

The electronic rule book is very easy to search and reference, so that's pretty cool. It does mean you have to sit in bed ( or on the loo depending on where you do this) learning the game with a tablet rather than the rule book and part of me thinks it wouldn't have cost that much to put in a paper copy.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.529 seconds