October 09, 2023
2636 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2826 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

To Hell With Sprues

More
11 Nov 2015 19:55 #214841 by OldHippy
To Hell With Sprues was created by OldHippy
So I got Shawdows of Brimstone for free (points from prior purchases)! It looks awesome actually, even though originally the theme didn't appeal to me once that box was open I was totally on board.

Unfortunately it comes with the mini's still in their sprues, several of the models are four or more pieces, one even reaching 14 pieces (and doesn't fit back in the damned box once it's done). Someone dropped the ball on this one.

I'm almost done, I hated every minute of it. I can't stand this part of the hobby and I also hate how delicate and brittle the plastic feels. This game would be better with slightly worse mini's that don't need assembly.

But at the same time I also bought Survive: Space Attack and was irritated for a totally different reason. The hexes all came pre-punched for me and already organized in the box. That's great for later on but despite my dislike of models and spures I don't actually mind punching some tokens while I peruse the rule book. I was genuinely irritated that I couldn't punch my hexes. But I suppose with all the different sizes it does make sense. I don't even know how that would work.

I guess the point is that I'm insufferable and can never be happy. Boo me.

Earlier this week I took a look at that new GW boardgame coming down the pipe and thought about how much I'd like to play it. Then I thought about those sprues, my hatred for that process, how angry I was at Space Hulk, Dreadfleet and now Shadows of Brimstone. No. I won't be buying GW's new game unless I can get it second hand already assembled. Fuck sprues.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Nov 2015 20:07 #214844 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic To Hell With Sprues
Who wants some white whine, JJ is serving it up!

Seriously though, I am with you. Fuck a bunch of sprues. Not doing it anymore. It is actually keeping me disinterested in the 40k game. I'm gluing only two things together for this hobby- jack and shit.

Punch boards, yeah, I kinda want to do that too.

More
11 Nov 2015 20:11 #214845 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic To Hell With Sprues
If I never, ever, ever punch another die cut punchboard piece, I will have lived a good life. FUCK THAT.

I'd rather cut sprues and build models all day long. I love the modeling part of the hobby.

More
11 Nov 2015 20:18 #214848 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic To Hell With Sprues

SuperflyTNT wrote: If I never, ever, ever punch another die cut punchboard piece, I will have lived a good life. FUCK THAT.

I'd rather cut sprues and build models all day long. I love the modeling part of the hobby.

Well, you will not have a good life then I guess, because I suspect you will punch more cardboard before your days are done.

But here's the difference Pete.

Punching cardboard: 10-15 minutes and I can watch a movie or read rules at the same time.
Assembling models: hours and hours and nothing else can be done without losing something in the process.

But I've seen your work, you clearly do love assembling models. GW is the game company for you.

More
11 Nov 2015 21:25 #214860 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic To Hell With Sprues
Well, I like assembling models, but once I'd already had 50ish Space Marines. I had to stop two full years before assembling another...

More
12 Nov 2015 07:52 #214884 by JEM
Replied by JEM on topic To Hell With Sprues
The SoB sprues are pretty nasty to work with, not fun like GW ones. You can fit the harbinger in the box (I am guessing you have Swamps) if you don't glue the wings on. Half of my SoB stuff is unpainted/unassembled, as I got so far as getting green stuff to fill all the egregious gaps and lost interest. I just use proxies right now.

More
12 Nov 2015 08:01 #214885 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic To Hell With Sprues
I'm not a fan of the whole sprue / assembly process. I don't mind painting. I'm doing okay with assembling Deadzone (although I have no desire to touch the 5 sprues consisting entirely of zombies), but there are some models that I literally can't figure out. There is no guidance and often you can't even find a matching picture of the model. No labels, nothing. So I am left with a couple of models with no arms, a tiny bag of arms and heads, etc.

More
12 Nov 2015 08:28 - 12 Nov 2015 08:29 #214889 by Legomancer
Replied by Legomancer on topic To Hell With Sprues
A game that would have plastic sprues probably isn't my thing anyway so I haven't encountered any of that but my gang refers to cardboard punch boards as sprues for fun. Let me tell you a recent story about those.

I backed Migration on KS. It's not a bad game, but it is 100% clear that this guy always made the "precious work of art" decision over the "actually functional" decision. (I'm sure it steams him crimson to know his beautiful bespoke box has a friggin obvious typo on it.) As a result, once the game is punched, it doesn't fit in the box anymore, even if you remove the insert. So this twee little book-looking box is bulging and has a rubber band around it to keep it shut, instead of the clever magnet.

What the creator has suggested, for serious, is, after you play the game, return the cardboard bits to the frames for storage. That way it will fit again.

How about that, Pete? You could get a game designed to be punched out each time you play it.
Last edit: 12 Nov 2015 08:29 by Legomancer.

More
12 Nov 2015 08:48 #214892 by SuperflyPete
I think we've found the game for Frohike's Secret Santa, Dave! :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
12 Nov 2015 10:12 #214897 by Columbob
Replied by Columbob on topic To Hell With Sprues

JEM wrote: The SoB sprues are pretty nasty

At first I thought you were talking about Sisters of Battle.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JEM

More
12 Nov 2015 21:22 #214966 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic To Hell With Sprues

Columbob wrote:

JEM wrote: The SoB sprues are pretty nasty

At first I thought you were talking about Sisters of Battle.

I believe for SoB it's blisters... :p

More
13 Nov 2015 04:56 - 13 Nov 2015 04:56 #214973 by Vistula Lurker
Replied by Vistula Lurker on topic To Hell With Sprues
Sprues don't bother me THAT much. Now, painting on the other hand... my god, I think it's been at least 15 years since the last time i picked up a brush. Never again. All the miniatures in the world should be born prepainted as far as i'm concerned.
Last edit: 13 Nov 2015 04:56 by Vistula Lurker.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hex Sinister

More
13 Nov 2015 08:34 #214975 by the_jake_1973
Replied by the_jake_1973 on topic To Hell With Sprues
Another hobby of mine is building plastic models, so when things come on sprues it makes me happy. I wish the Arcadia Quest stuff came on sprues so it would have been easier to prime and paint the larger figs.

More
13 Nov 2015 08:46 #214976 by SuperflyPete
This
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: SebastianBludd, Da Bid Dabid, the_jake_1973

More
13 Nov 2015 09:57 #214979 by the_jake_1973
Replied by the_jake_1973 on topic To Hell With Sprues
It's all true. All of it.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.223 seconds