October 09, 2023
2518 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2717 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

The Warriors Board Game

More
13 Jan 2016 10:56 #219854 by VonTush
So who of the GA crew here has the inside scope on this game? Or playtested?
Who can poke Steve Avery since he now hangs around in those design circles?

icv2.com/articles/news/view/33448/the-wa...ring-rumble-tabletop

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jan 2016 11:03 - 13 Jan 2016 11:07 #219856 by hotseatgames
I love the Warriors film. But that game description left me with lots of questions. Mainly, are the police the main thing keeping this from being a standard area control game?

Also, I will laugh if one of the gangs is the Orphans.

That writer is bad at math. The Warriors is 37 years old. 1979
Last edit: 13 Jan 2016 11:07 by hotseatgames.

More
13 Jan 2016 11:13 #219858 by Michael Barnes
I don't know anybody out in Kennesaw...used to, but I think that gang isn't around anymore.

I dunno, this sounds kind of iffy. Unasked for, not-in-demand license...$80 MSRP...Kickstarter....pre-planned expansions...I mean, I love The Warriors and all but this has the odor of failure about it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample

More
13 Jan 2016 12:51 #219866 by VonTush
Replied by VonTush on topic The Warriors Board Game
Yeah. This could go either way.

For me it's going to depend on the direction the mechanics take. Where I think KS shines is bringing to print designs that are a bit too simple or are lacking on the innovation front to be picked up or noticed by the bigger design houses. Ones that have more of a throwback design style. If this game goes that route, I'd be on board.

More
26 Jul 2016 19:33 #230904 by SKG_Justin
Replied by SKG_Justin on topic The Warriors Board Game
Hey every one,

I am Justin Powell, Chief Creative Officer at Silly Kid Games, one of my friends just sent me the link to this post, a bit late it would seem. I hope you all have been well since January. I am actually about to get on the road from Michigan back to Georgia but if you all have questions I'd be glad to answer them once I get home.

The decision to adapt The Warriors into a board game was mine. I presented the idea to my team back during our Golem Academy production. The Warriors was a film that I was exposed to early on and have always enjoyed the campy alt-history vibe of the whole thing. When we started discussing possibly doing a licensed property for the first time - this one came to mind right away for me. This has definitely been a project of passion for me and I feel that that shows in every aspect of creation that I control. Which is art and our game designers work directly with me as well.

I have worked closely with our artists to create the artwork that will go on to become our miniatures after funding. I am proud to say that this game will include 45 full color miniatures each one a different character from the film...and a couple from comics; Jail break is phenomenal. These miniatures will also be 54mm and durable as opposed to the standard 32mm (heroic Scale).

We have also drafted up 6 turfs (3 double sided game boards) featuring full color locales famous from the film. I feel that we have put just as much time and effort into the custom dice, Police trackers, and other components that will be announced soon.

As for game play, I don't feel that The Warriors: Turf War plays like your typical tactics game. Each turf is played one at a time - as an individual skirmish and each gang gets to position their gang members inside of their starting zone at the start of each Skirmish. Police can arrive as a result of event cards, or from the tracker if people are turtle-ing(sp, never had to spell out that word) to much; Just like in the movie they can turn the tides of the Skirmish you are currently engaged in. The event cards in general add diversity to each play they can force all the warlords to engage in a stand off, place powerful weapons on the turf, and cause a full deployment of Riot Police.

@hotseatgames I pushed so hard for The Orphans as a playable gang but Decided it made the most sense to stick with the main four. The game will feature The Warriors, The Lizzies, The Baseball Furies, and The Rogues.

Getting on the road. I look forward to any questions you might have.

Best,
Justin
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.141 seconds