October 09, 2023
2515 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2716 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Good BSG configuration sought

More
05 Apr 2016 10:48 - 05 Apr 2016 10:48 #225273 by jpat
It seems like this topic has been discussed before, but a quick search didn't turn it up. There are also a fair number of threads on BGG that dip into this as well. But I'll ask here anyway because I value the advice of people here.

I'm looking for a "good" configuration of BSG with expansions for play at Geekway. There's a group of us that has met up for the past couple of years, and I think (finally) everyone will be experienced in the game. To be clear, after seven plays, I'm not tired of the base game, but I had gotten Pegasus when it came out and have been intrigued if intimidated by the mix-and-match aspect of Pegasus/Exodus/Daybreak. Basically what I'm looking for is a good configuration of additions that adds some freshening without being overwhelming. It's also possible, even likely, that we'll have an even number, so the best of the Sympathizer variants is of interest as well. (I have played no-Sympathizer, and I'm not the biggest Sympathizer hater out there, but I get what the problems are, and the issue has been approached since the initial release in at least three ways that I can think of.) I'm assuming meeting my goals would take at least two expansions.
Last edit: 05 Apr 2016 10:48 by jpat.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bfkiller

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Apr 2016 11:27 #225274 by Msample
This thread has some good feedback; I agree with san il defanso's recs in the first response.

fortressat.com/forum/10-ameritrash/10680...tar-galactica#106924

More
05 Apr 2016 11:41 - 05 Apr 2016 11:43 #225276 by Grudunza
The last several times I've played has been at conventions (my local group doesn't love it like I do - boo!). For those games, with a mix of experience levels, I like base game plus Daybreak's mutiny, miracle and treachery stuff, and the Mutineer if needed (better than the Sympathizer). And Cylon leaders available for an experienced player. Sometimes I might add the Cylon attack board from Exodus. That's all a good blend that isn't too crazy or bloated.

And... BSG is a game that I need to remember holds up quite well with just the base game, though adding some of the new characters and skill cards and such is always fine.
Last edit: 05 Apr 2016 11:43 by Grudunza.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
05 Apr 2016 11:49 #225277 by Josh Look
Base game + Cylon fleet pursuit board (which you should never play without) is all you need. No Cylon leaders. 4 or 6 players only.

More
05 Apr 2016 12:31 #225288 by Grudunza

Josh Look wrote: Base game + Cylon fleet pursuit board (which you should never play without) is all you need. No Cylon leaders. 4 or 6 players only.

I do like the Cylon Leaders as used from Daybreak as an interesting way to play for one experienced person. Not every game, but once in a while. But yeah, base plus Cylon Fleet is the best simple and awesome way to play. A lot of the extra stuff from the expansions is "play one time and never again."

More
05 Apr 2016 13:38 #225297 by san il defanso
My last few times I've played this has been base game only, and it has improved the experience for me. There are just so many moving parts when you start adding in the expansions. There's a real possibility it'll be awesome (assuming everyone knows how to play well enough) but there is also far more liklihood of the game completely tanking.

Of all of the expansion elements I still do like the Pegasus. It adds the most options without burdening the experience with too many rules. The Cylon Fleet board is nice for a change sometimes, but I've returned to the old method of fleet cards, and I think I prefer it. It's just easier and a little more "keep you on your toes," which I think helps the game. The only downside with the Pegasus is the airlock, which as a mechanic always felt kind of bolted on. It works well thematically though, so there's that.

I never did play Daybreak. We'll see if I ever do.

More
05 Apr 2016 13:51 #225299 by Msample
The thing that is nice about the Cylon fleet board is that it smoothes out the appearance of the Cylon ships. In the base game, you get huge swings. You might get 2 blue fleet cards in a row. Or I've seen some games where after the first jump, the Cylon fleet never makes an appearance the rest of the game.

More
05 Apr 2016 14:02 #225300 by Shellhead
I have only played with the base game, but aside from the gaming of the Sympathizer element, I have been happy with the game. From what I've read about the expansions, I wish that they had been smaller and less ambitious additions to the game, because I would have been really happy with more of the same (characters, cards, etc.) plus a few new elements.

More
06 Apr 2016 08:42 - 06 Apr 2016 17:35 #225362 by southernman
I've got all the expansions and enjoyed playing with them at the time although some bits aren't as good/fun (we don't use New Caprica anymore). I haven't played for a few years due to low numbers of gamers in the group that will play it (my euro-centric group have too many who will not play it for being either co-op or scifi), bits I always use or really like on top of the base game:
- Pegasus board
- Cylon Fleet board
- Loyalty cards from Exodus (Personal Goal and Final Five cards)
- CAG title from Exodus
- Mark VII vipers from Exodus
- Ionian Nebulae option (boxing and trial) from Exodus
Last edit: 06 Apr 2016 17:35 by southernman.

More
06 Apr 2016 10:22 #225366 by san il defanso

Msample wrote: The thing that is nice about the Cylon fleet board is that it smoothes out the appearance of the Cylon ships. In the base game, you get huge swings. You might get 2 blue fleet cards in a row. Or I've seen some games where after the first jump, the Cylon fleet never makes an appearance the rest of the game.

This is true, but I do like the tension that this introduces. It's one thing that the player can't predict, and I actually like the effect that has on the game.

More
06 Apr 2016 10:58 #225374 by Columbob
Let's not forget the bling: plastic basestars from Pegasus (though I've seen some copies where the joint didn't hold too well), advanced Vipers from Exodus and plastic Centurions from Daybreak.

More
06 Apr 2016 15:01 #225397 by jpat
Replied by jpat on topic Good BSG configuration sought
Thanks for all the help. Lots to think about. (I also accidentally replied to this effect in the 2011 thread. :p)

More
17 May 2016 11:39 #227599 by jpat
Replied by jpat on topic Good BSG configuration sought
Alright. I'm either going vanilla or a mix of Pegasus/Cylon Fleet Board with maybe a Cylon Leader thrown in (that I might do) to avoid the usual 6p problems. I've used the no-sympathizer variant before, albeit not with 6, but it's been a while.

I already knew this, and it's not going to get it, but, man, this game needs either a master rulebook or a streamlined best-of second/collector's edition. The amount of "add this then, remove this then," general rules layering, and the supplanting of even expansion rules (execution, Cylon leaders) by other expansion rules is just virtually unmanageable, even though I think there are at least pieces of good ideas in much of the expansion material. I guess I'm envisioning something like AGoT 2e, which took some of the ideas from 1e expansions and then has only expanded via a couple of small POD sets that are more variants than expansions.

More
17 May 2016 12:25 #227601 by JEM
Replied by JEM on topic Good BSG configuration sought
There's a combined rule book and player aid in the files section for BSG on BGG. It looks well put together in the original style.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jpat

More
17 May 2016 12:30 #227602 by Msample

jpat wrote:
I already knew this, and it's not going to get it, but, man, this game needs either a master rulebook

www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/68433/bat...a-combined-rule-book
The following user(s) said Thank You: jpat

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.266 seconds