Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

TOPIC: Dune

Dune 25 Apr 2017 15:22 #247177

Dune has come up in a couple of recent threads, so it deserves its own topic. Although I'm primarily interested in the classic board game from Avalon Hill, I just started re-reading the first book in the series. And I wouldn't mind comments about Rex or Dune variants or even the Parker Brothers board game. Has anybody ever played the Dune ccg? Will Dune ever get a proper translation on the big screen or small screen?

I love the dynamic gameplay of the AH Dune board game. Due to the spice blows and the rotating storm system, the board changes radically from turn to turn. Alliances come and go, but only at specific random intervals. Each faction is well-defined by special abilities, though those special abilities add to the learning curve of the game. The last time we played, I won on the second or third turn of the game, but I have seen other games go three hours or longer.
  • Shellhead
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D12
  • Thank you received: 2145
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Dune 25 Apr 2017 15:26 #247178

Is AH Dune the last of the true Grail Games (having never been reprinted) or do people also still desire Magic Realm?
  • Mr. White
  • D12
  • Thank you received: 2156
Life & Death & An American Chainsaw

Dune 25 Apr 2017 15:32 #247179

Mr. White wrote:
Is AH Dune the last of the true Grail Games (having never been reprinted) or do people also still desire Magic Realm?

Fireball Island maybe.
  • Shellhead
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D12

Dune 25 Apr 2017 18:10 #247212

Man, if you're set on re-reading Dune, I really recommend you getting the audiobook from audible. You will probably get it for free to with the subscription.
I listened to it about half a year ago, and it was brilliant. In most chapters, each character is voiced by a professional actor - Baron Harkonnen being the absolute highlight. It was also easier for me to get into Herbert's ideas and thoughts, since most of the book is narrated either through dialogue or monologue.
  • Vlad
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 439

Dune 25 Apr 2017 18:46 #247215

I wish I had that audiobook. I have an abridged version on cd read by Herbert himself. But while genuine, the guy has a effeminate voice reminiscent of Truman capote, and is very off putting.
  • Colorcrayons
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 633

Dune 25 Apr 2017 18:48 #247216

The one by Marlee Matlin is AWFUL
  • Black Barney
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 2521
"We must let go of the life we had planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us." - Joseph Campbell
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

Dune 25 Apr 2017 18:51 #247217

When I was younger, I was anxious to find out what would happen next, and tended to read a little too quickly. In recent years, I have forced myself to slow down and savor the words more. With more life experience, I get more out of the dialogue and the ideas. And so I found myself enjoying the first Dune book more than ever, at least the first three chapters. Herbert does a fine job of introducing an original setting without excessive exposition.
  • Shellhead
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D12
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius

Dune 25 Apr 2017 19:50 #247227

The beginning is very accessible, imho. I think it gets harder with Paul's trippy inner monologue. I only realized there was nothing particular trippy about it and it actually made a lot of sense on my last read. But at least I did better than Jodorowsky :)
  • Vlad
  • D6

Dune 26 Apr 2017 16:38 #247294

Black Barney wrote:

Look, I hate to complain but I really don't think this joke is getting the traction it deserves. I'm glad Colorcrayons doesn't have a dull mind and appreciates this, but GUYS... use your imagination and try to imagine driving on the highway listening to Marlee Matlin reading Dune. I was lol'ing as I wrote the post thinking it was GOLD Jerry, gold.

Just thinking of her trying to talk about the Bene Gesserit and constantly rewinding the audio to try and understand what she just said.... life doesn't get better than this, folks.
  • Black Barney
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D20
"We must let go of the life we had planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us." - Joseph Campbell
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons, Vlad

Dune 26 Apr 2017 17:22 #247303

Prolly cause most people have no idea who that is. Slightly more on topic, I figured you showing up in this thread was to pimp the movie adventure game tie in. Laughed to myself when that wasn't the case.
  • Da Bid Dabid
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 470
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Dune 26 Apr 2017 17:31 #247305

Marlee Matlin reading 'Piter DeVries' wrote:
"Iiiihh iiith buuhhh wwiiill uggghlunnn ithe theeeet muuuhh muuuhnd iiiggghhh mmmuuuuhthun"

I just can't finish writing that mentat litany as Marlee.

But Barney is right, it is fucking hilarious to think about her doing it.
  • Colorcrayons
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D6
Last Edit: 26 Apr 2017 17:32 by Colorcrayons.

Dune 26 Apr 2017 17:34 #247307

My first contact with Dune was Cryo's graphic adventure/strategy hybrid.
I remember it really well. The way it deviated from the plot of the book (or the movie for that matter) is unbelievably atrocious. I was about 12 or 13 back then and thought it to be the pinnacle of video-game writing.
  • Vlad
  • D6

Dune 26 Apr 2017 17:39 #247308

Black Barney wrote:
Black Barney wrote:

Look, I hate to complain but I really don't think this joke is getting the traction it deserves. I'm glad Colorcrayons doesn't have a dull mind and appreciates this, but GUYS... use your imagination and try to imagine driving on the highway listening to Marlee Matlin reading Dune. I was lol'ing as I wrote the post thinking it was GOLD Jerry, gold.

Just thinking of her trying to talk about the Bene Gesserit and constantly rewinding the audio to try and understand what she just said.... life doesn't get better than this, folks.

Also, if you're not reading this in Richard Simmons voice, then you need to rethink your life.
  • Colorcrayons
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D6

Dune 27 Apr 2017 09:05 #247336

It's hilarious because she's deaf and therefore talks funny! Ha ha ha! Deaf people, am I right?
  • Legomancer
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 1720

Dune 27 Apr 2017 09:31 #247338

it's more that it's absurd that Marlee Matlin would be doing audiobooks for heavy-duty sci-fi, especially. But ok.
  • Black Barney
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D20
Moderators: Jackwraith, Mad Dog, wadenels
Time to create page: 0.549 seconds