Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

TOPIC: Firefly Adventures

Firefly Adventures 09 Feb 2018 17:29 #263297

I have great expectations for GaleForce9's Firefly Adventures. This one is starting to hit the streets so what's the buzz?

image-2.png

www.fireflythegame.com

P.S. Are there still fans of Firefly, or, is it fading like BSG? Regarding BSG, I was truly surprised when FFG let the BSG license lapse. It seems like these shows have an expiration date in popular culture.
  • stoic
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 743
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Firefly Adventures 09 Feb 2018 17:44 #263299

I'm going to guess Firefly still has currency because it was good and died prematurely. It's James Dean. Jimi Hendrix. Kurt Cobain. There's a longing for the missed potential.

BSG ran its natural course. It aged and expired on time.
  • Mr. White
  • D12
  • Thank you received: 2415
Life & Death & An American Chainsaw
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Sagrilarus, Frohike, Colorcrayons, engineer Al, stoic, ufe20

Firefly Adventures 09 Feb 2018 18:12 #263302

Mr. White wrote:
I'm going to guess Firefly still has currency because it was good and died prematurely. It's James Dean. Jimi Hendrix. Kurt Cobain. There's a longing for the missed potential.

BSG ran its natural course. It aged and expired on time.

I think you nailed why Firefly is still somewhat popular. That, and it was sometimes really great.

BSG didn't just run its natural course. It got worse and worse from season to season. I can't remember any other show starting so well and getting so terrible. I passed on the entire fourth season, with no regrets.
  • Shellhead
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D12
  • Thank you received: 2884
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike

Firefly Adventures 09 Feb 2018 19:40 #263313

Firefly still is, without question, my very most favorite TV show, and yeah, I’m looking forward to this game. The “boxes with boxes” thing to make the game board that I thought was brilliant in Ice Cool is fully realized here. I’m sure it will be a bitch to play and it will get in its own way, but it looks fantastic. And I still love GF9! They’ve only let me down once with Doctor Who, but I suppose they had to stumble at some point.
  • Josh Look
  • D10
  • Thank you received: 1148
I'm ok with Ben Affleck playing Batman. At least there will be a better director on set.
Last Edit: 09 Feb 2018 19:42 by Josh Look.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, stoic

Firefly Adventures 10 Feb 2018 08:13 #263329

Shellhead wrote:
I think you nailed why Firefly is still somewhat popular. That, and it was sometimes really great.

BSG didn't just run its natural course. It got worse and worse from season to season. I can't remember any other show starting so well and getting so terrible. I passed on the entire fourth season, with no regrets.

Funnily enough, I'm watching BSG for the first time right now with my son. We're really enjoying it... so far. In the middle of season 1.

We've also been watching Castle. There's an episode where Nathan Fillion dresses up as a "space cowboy" for Halloween, and his daughter gives him a hard time. Here's the clip:

• wkover
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 273
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, Mantidman

Firefly Adventures 10 Feb 2018 10:06 #263336

This is a space cowboy.
  • hotseatgames
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D10
  • Thank you received: 1797
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mad Dog, Frohike, ufe20

Firefly Adventures 10 Feb 2018 10:14 #263339

wkover wrote:
Shellhead wrote:

Funnily enough, I'm watching BSG for the first time right now with my son. We're really enjoying it... so far. In the middle of season 1.

First season of BSG is great. Second season is good. Third season is very uneven and ends in stupidity, leaving me no hope for season four. It became apparent that the writers were just making things up as they went along, which probably sounds like a fair description of writing to a non-writer. But it's a sloppy way to write, and can close off too many options for ending a story well. For proof, look at the X-Files and Lost.
  • Shellhead
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D12
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

Firefly Adventures 10 Feb 2018 10:16 #263340

I found Cowboy Bebop incredibly overrated, but it's hard to deny that it looks like the inspiration for Firefly. The theme song for Cowboy Bebop is great, and I did like the episode featuring Ed, even though I didn't normally like Ed.
  • Shellhead
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D12

Firefly Adventures 10 Feb 2018 11:29 #263345

FRAK ME! Anyone who just trounced BSG, the greatest show of all time (except for the cryptic season 4), is clearly a FRAKING CYLON.

cylon-enemy-bsg.jpg
  • stoic
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 743
The following user(s) said Thank You: Southernman

Firefly Adventures 10 Feb 2018 14:23 #263359

I have the entire series on DVD. Still one of the best sci fi shows ever, despite its barely middling S4
  • SuperflyTNT
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 3794
youtube.com/watch?v=ZkHxIlNZTk4

Firefly Adventures 10 Feb 2018 15:02 #263360

Shellhead wrote:
wkover wrote:
Shellhead wrote:

First season of BSG is great. Second season is good. Third season is very uneven and ends in stupidity, leaving me no hope for season four. It became apparent that the writers were just making things up as they went along, which probably sounds like a fair description of writing to a non-writer. But it's a sloppy way to write, and can close off too many options for ending a story well. For proof, look at the X-Files and Lost.

Sorry Shell, that is just your opinion and only a reflection of the entertainment that you like (and absolutely nothing wrong with that). I enjoyed the whole series of BSG and Lost and was quite happy with the ending in both, and the ratings of both at IMDB (incluidng the final seasons) say I wasn't the only one (but also say others agreed with you).
So wkover if you're enjoying the show, and THE STORY rather than just the action, then watch the whole lot ... and if you don't like it at least you'll know why.
  • Southernman
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D10
  • Eat Steel !
  • Thank you received: 432
Konieczkarian
F:ATies 'Spawn of Ameritrash' Worldwide Map: maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&oe...7e41fde832d5ff51&z=2
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyTNT

Firefly Adventures 10 Feb 2018 15:07 #263361

stoic wrote:
FRAK ME! Anyone who just trounced BSG, the greatest show of all time (except for the cryptic season 4), is clearly a FRAKING CYLON.

cylon-enemy-bsg.jpg

BSG-Propaganda-Poster-3b.jpg
  • Southernman
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D10
  • Eat Steel !
  • Thank you received: 432
Konieczkarian
F:ATies 'Spawn of Ameritrash' Worldwide Map: maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&oe...7e41fde832d5ff51&z=2
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic

Firefly Adventures 10 Feb 2018 19:30 #263372

hotseatgames wrote:
This is a space cowboy.

Can’t it be both?
  • Josh Look
  • D10
  • Thank you received: 1148
I'm ok with Ben Affleck playing Batman. At least there will be a better director on set.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyTNT, repoman
Moderators: Jackwraith, Mad Dog, wadenels
Time to create page: 0.432 seconds