October 09, 2023
2514 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2712 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

RISK - Rebooted

More
06 Feb 2008 05:54 #2013 by southernman
RISK - Rebooted was created by southernman
Have just seen a few posts from Rob Daviau concerning the release of a revamped Risk in a few months here with Ken B spotted nearly fainting (or was that feinting) amongst the teaming masses, and how a demo version is being released to 'selected' peoples for reviews etc here ... has the Fortress been deemed worthy ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Feb 2008 09:38 #2024 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Re:RISK - Rebooted
I have a cool surprise coming to celebrate this RISK relaunch. Stay tuned.

More
06 Feb 2008 09:56 #2028 by Druen Kree
Replied by Druen Kree on topic Re:RISK - Rebooted
Its Bratz Risk I bet.

More
06 Feb 2008 10:07 - 06 Feb 2008 10:08 #2029 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Re:RISK - Rebooted
Michael Barnes wrote:

I have a cool surprise coming to celebrate this RISK relaunch. Stay tuned.

I knew you guys wouldn't let us down - but I guessed something was up as that youngsta Ken just couldn't control himself in his post ... keep him away from the red fizzy drinks in future !

PS Screw those freakin' cubes !!
Last edit: 06 Feb 2008 10:08 by southernman.

More
06 Feb 2008 12:41 #2043 by Malloc
Replied by Malloc on topic Re:RISK - Rebooted
Barnes has been lobbying for the return of the pink armies in Risk! Lets see if he was successful.

-M

More
06 Feb 2008 14:39 #2062 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic Re:RISK - Rebooted
I like the look of the Black Ops version so much that whatever comes out in the spring is sure to pale by comparison. All I'll think about when deciding to buy is how much cooler the Black Ops version would have been. In other words, sell me Black Ops or no sale. Because Black Ops IS the adult and modern look they should be going for. Coloring in the countries and adding plastic pieces* will make it more family-friendly though I guess.

*I like plastic pieces a lot, but I do consider them more toy-like in appearance than wooden bits. I'd love to have a Risk game that isn't targetted towards families/kids just to get away even more from the usual Risk stigma people have. Just my opinion.

More
06 Feb 2008 17:21 #2088 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Re:RISK - Rebooted
It sounds interesting, but it also sounds like a more honest description would have been "nexus ops" instead of "black ops."

More
06 Feb 2008 17:47 #2093 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Re:RISK - Rebooted
Mad Dog wrote:

I like the look of the Black Ops version so much that whatever comes out in the spring is sure to pale by comparison. All I'll think about when deciding to buy is how much cooler the Black Ops version would have been. In other words, sell me Black Ops or no sale. Because Black Ops IS the adult and modern look they should be going for. Coloring in the countries and adding plastic pieces* will make it more family-friendly though I guess.

*I like plastic pieces a lot, but I do consider them more toy-like in appearance than wooden bits. I'd love to have a Risk game that isn't targetted towards families/kids just to get away even more from the usual Risk stigma people have. Just my opinion.

[/i]
WOODEN CUBES !!!!

You took the wrong turn at the 'This Way for Bland Boardgamers' signpost - please reverse up.

More
06 Feb 2008 21:47 #2121 by Ken B.
Replied by Ken B. on topic Re:RISK - Rebooted
I playtested Black Ops. The rules changes are NICE. Trust me, you guys are in for a treat.

More
15 Feb 2008 09:50 - 20 Mar 2008 16:26 #2827 by ChristopherMD
I still stand by my statement that wood pieces are better for this particular version. Not just because of the non-toy look, but because the board is very abstract looking (i.e. mostly blank). Mini's would look out of place on it, but abstract wooden bits don't.
The new version will presumably have some kind of artwork on the board which will be better complimented by plastic mini's than by wood. Considering this, I do not stand by my statement implying that the new version won't be worthwhile. It'll probably be better and should certainly sell more in stores than an abstract version of Risk would.
Last edit: 20 Mar 2008 16:26 by ChristopherMD.

More
15 Feb 2008 10:09 #2829 by Schweig!
Replied by Schweig! on topic Re:RISK - Rebooted
- The oldest Ameritrash title turned into a cubepusher?

- the*mad*gamer allowed to post on BGG again?

Early signs of the Apocalypse?

More
15 Feb 2008 15:11 #2834 by PseudoIntellectual
Now if they'll just make a David Schwimmer Action Figure and put Dark Angel back on the air, we'll know for sure it's the apocolypse.

More
15 Feb 2008 16:05 #2835 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Re:RISK - Rebooted
RISK has always been very abstract...my first copy was the one that had those weird caltrop looking pieces. I don't think the cubes make that much of a difference to be honest. RISK isn't about atmosphere really, it's more about action.

I really think the BLACK OPS edition would sell like gangbusters- it makes RISK look relevant, cool, and modern. If I weren't a gamer, I'd see it in a store and think it looks pretty damn cool. Interested in seeing what the retail edition looks like...getting away from the faux-Napoleonic setting is a good move, I think.

More
15 Feb 2008 16:52 #2837 by ChristopherMD
My first and only edition had plastic Roman numerals for pieces. Good times.

I don't see the average consumer buying a small black box with no pictures or description of the game on it. I know I wouldn't.

More
15 Feb 2008 20:28 - 15 Feb 2008 20:30 #2853 by BigLizard
Replied by BigLizard on topic Re:RISK - Rebooted
Michael Barnes wrote:

RISK has always been very abstract...my first copy was the one that had those weird caltrop looking pieces. I don't think the cubes make that much of a difference to be honest. RISK isn't about atmosphere really, it's more about action.

I really think the BLACK OPS edition would sell like gangbusters- it makes RISK look relevant, cool, and modern. If I weren't a gamer, I'd see it in a store and think it looks pretty damn cool. Interested in seeing what the retail edition looks like...getting away from the faux-Napoleonic setting is a good move, I think.

What about an edition with a farming setting? Your pink sheep invade Kamchatka and wipe out your friend's yellow radishes. Now THAT would be a best seller!!!

Call it....hmmmmm...... Riskicola?
Last edit: 15 Feb 2008 20:30 by BigLizard.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.333 seconds