October 09, 2023
2629 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2821 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Help with Buffy please

More
01 Mar 2009 06:40 #22555 by Notahandle
Southernman wrote:
"... and I'm still waiting for some too."
Hopefully not for RoboRally - Crash & Burn!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Mar 2009 07:49 #22557 by southernman
Notahandle wrote:

Southernman wrote:
"... and I'm still waiting for some too."
Hopefully not for RoboRally - Crash & Burn!

Nah - I got RoboRally in one BGG trade and then the GrandPrix expansion in a math trade so that should do me ;-p

More
01 Mar 2009 07:58 #22558 by southernman
KingPut wrote:

Sagrilarus wrote:

Wow, that's about as easy as it gets. Thank you both! Sag.

Sag, give Buffy a try with your kids. It's my 12 years olds (Uba's niece's) favorite game (Talisman is now #4 on her list). Buffy could be a great bonding experience for your family when you're the bad guy and the rest of the family gets to kick your ass.

Buffy is probably best with 3 players:

2 players: Good vs. Bad

3 players: Player 1 - The Vampires, 2 - Buffy and Zanders and 3 - Oz and Willow

4 players: 1 - Vampires, 2 Buffy, 3 Willow, 4 Zanders and Oz

5 players: 1 - Vampires, 2 Buffy, 3 Willow, 4 Oz and 5 Zanders (Zanders sucks so you might want to take Zanders and help other players)

6 players: 1 - The Master or other Big bad, 2 - the minions, 3 Buffy, 4 Willow, 5 Oz and 6 Zanders

My favorite player = Oz, My daughters favorite = Willow

We've played all 4 scenarios but most of the time we play vs. the Master.

Hey KP - with adults, sounds like a 5-player game may suck for someone so will 4-player be OK ?
And could you make a 5-player game with the 6-player setup but with Oz and Zander being played by one person ?
(I've never played it so don't know anything about the character balance, I just don't want it to go down badly with my group and get banned!)

More
01 Mar 2009 11:04 #22563 by mads b.
Replied by mads b. on topic Re:Help with Buffy please
I wouldn't worry about character balance. Yes, Oz and Buffy are much better fighters than Xander (who is the overall weakest character), but they're also the ones being knocked around the most for the same reason. So in my last game Xander was the only one surviving near the end.

But what I'm trying to say is that the game really captures the story of the series. So while Buffy is the strongest and the one who'll kill most enemies, the other characters can still be lots of fun to play.

One piece of advice, though. I believe that one of the options the evil player can roll on his movement die is to move three small minions. A lot of people suggest that this should be either three small minions OR the main villain. Because in some scenarios (especially the first one where The Master can be fried by the sun), not being able to move the villain is a bit too annoying.

More
01 Mar 2009 12:18 #22566 by KingPut
Replied by KingPut on topic Re:Help with Buffy please
4 works well also. You just don't want to give only Zanders to the guy in your group who whines if he's not the big powerful guy killing stuff. I found that there are some people you just to want to give Mina Harker (Fury of Dracula), Zanders (Buffy), Chief (BSG) or a weaker / support Arkham character to. This type of guy will whine and suck the fun out of the game.

More
06 Oct 2009 17:35 #44009 by southernman
Finally got this to the table tonight, went quite straight forward apart from me not being able to throw a hit most of the night as evil - fuck, Willow was getting as many hits with her 1 dice than I was with The Master with his 4 - so was cleaned up pretty quickly.

Just the one question, if a sired character is turned good again do they keep their higher vamp fight and majik dice stats - we played Yes as the rules say they are still a vamp (they burn in the sun) but they still get to collect cards and do majik.
Bit of a bummer for me as I sired Xander (finally, after many efforts throwing failed fight dice at him) only to have Willow grab his soul back not long after ... so now I have a frakkin stronger Xander beating up on me.

Admittedly it has only been one play, but there seem to be a lot of cards to continually help the Good team but not that really useful evil cards - they have to rely on a few extra fight dice, which can easily miss, plus they do not get to have their whole team playing each turn.

More
06 Oct 2009 18:30 #44021 by metalface13
Southernman wrote:

Finally got this to the table tonight, went quite straight forward apart from me not being able to throw a hit most of the night as evil - fuck, Willow was getting as many hits with her 1 dice than I was with The Master with his 4 - so was cleaned up pretty quickly.

Just the one question, if a sired character is turned good again do they keep their higher vamp fight and majik dice stats - we played Yes as the rules say they are still a vamp (they burn in the sun) but they still get to collect cards and do majik.
Bit of a bummer for me as I sired Xander (finally, after many efforts throwing failed fight dice at him) only to have Willow grab his soul back not long after ... so now I have a frakkin stronger Xander beating up on me.

Admittedly it has only been one play, but there seem to be a lot of cards to continually help the Good team but not that really useful evil cards - they have to rely on a few extra fight dice, which can easily miss, plus they do not get to have their whole team playing each turn.

Yeah, I'd rule a sired character who gets soul restored still gets vamp stats. I've won all my games as evil, so I while I can't say the evil cards are always useful, I've found occasion to make use of most of them.

More
06 Oct 2009 21:41 #44030 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Re:Help with Buffy please
Southernman wrote:

The differences between the heroes and the evil player, are kind of like the differences in Space Hulk. Evil is less mobile, but collectively stronger and has more hit points. Also, evil needs to cycle their cards to get the ones that replace dead minions. That gives evil an advantage in numbers. Evil can then afford to sacrifice a minion to take out WIllow.

More
07 Oct 2009 03:35 #44037 by southernman
I think I'll just blame my extraordinarily bad dice throwing as good managed to take out all three minions as well as the master for basically bugger all hits against them - honestly, I was throwing 4 dice with the Master and getting one or no hits while Buffy was getting them in threes ! Plus Buffy got some Garlic pretty early on so I was going to have to take her right down instead of siring. And I gave my opponent (there were just two of us) a beginners tip of using Oz as a damage soak with his werewolf phase, so that was another stick to beat myself with.
Evil can have an advantage in numbers as long (as your dice throwing allows him to raise new minions - bloody stoopid majik dice) but the big black dice does restrict getting characters into action, and I played with the house/variant rule that the 'three minion' roll could swapped for the Villain only.
It was pretty embarrassing getting beaten up by Willow.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.171 seconds