Arkham Horror - best expansion(s)?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Arkham Horror - best expansion(s)?

16 May 2009 10:38 #29034

Re:Arkham Horror - best expansion(s)?

Dunwich's madness and injury cards should be used in every game even if you don't use the rest of the Dunwich expansion. They add to the character development and narrative, and cut down on the fiddliness of resolving a character being reduced to zero health or sanity.
Uba WANTS a lot of shitty opinions and HAS a tray of Maker’s Mark
  • ubarose
  • Bene Gesserit Mother
  • Yikes
16 May 2009 11:49 #29037

ubarose wrote:
Dunwich's madness and injury cards should be used in every game even if you don't use the rest of the Dunwich expansion. They add to the character development and narrative, and cut down on the fiddliness of resolving a character being reduced to zero health or sanity.

Agreed. Our group prefers to use the just base game + 1 expansion for our AH sessions. However, we always use the injury and madness cards even if the one expansion of the day isn't Dunwich.

-Will
  • Bulwyf
  • D6
  • No whining!
16 May 2009 14:46 #29044

In the same vein, I think the Kingsport Final Battle cards should always be used regardless of what expansion you're playing. If not, the final battle is a TON of dice rolling, really boring climax. With them, it's still a ton of dice-rolling: but it's dice-rolling with NARRATIVE! Makes all the difference in the world. It also makes the final battle much harder, as it should be.
16 May 2009 15:43 #29045

This is one of the great things about AH and its expansions in general: the elements each expansion adds are highly modular. Injuries, Heralds, Epic Battles, etc....a gaming group can pick and choose the elements they want without needing to include or exclude expansions as a whole. It's one reason why even the weaker expansions are still worth the money.
17 May 2009 05:50 #29069

I must agree about the toolbox-ness of Arkham. You can add the bits and pieces of the game that you like and not add the rest. Sure it throws the balance out the window, but who cares, you're playing against the game and what's important is to have fun.

Having said that, I would have to say that my current favorite is Kingsport, but that's because I don't have Dunwich. Epic Battles are awesome.
17 May 2009 07:55 #29074

Shellhead wrote:
mrmarcus wrote:
In order:

Dunwich
King in Yellow
Dark Pharoah
Kingsport
Black Goat

High hopes for Innsmouth. As much a cornerstone for Lovecraft as Arkham.

I agree, except that I would move Dark Pharoah to last. It doesn't suck, but the exhibit items are mostly junk and the solo encounters with GOO are broken. I actually like Black Goat a lot, even the blasted herald, but Kingsport fixed the last weak element of the game with the excellent Epic Battle cards. Both the Kingsport GOO and investigators are the strongest yet, and I like the Shan and Moonbeasts because they increase the chance that somebody will get devoured before the end battle.

I actually like the exhibit items and some of the Mythos encounters from CotDP are entertaining. I'll give you the Epic Battle cards - the best part of Kingsport. Otherwise I just don't see much else in there that can't just be thrown into the rest of the set. I've only played with BGotW a handful of times, but I haven't been impressed.

But it also gives to Arkham's largest strength, to steal a phrase, it's toolbox style. Mix and match to your own preferences.

Still have high hoped for Innsmouth after seeing the latest preview: Here
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.86 seconds
Text Size