October 09, 2023
2524 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2725 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Recommend Fantasy Quest/Dungeon Crawl Board Game

More
29 May 2009 21:59 #30861 by metalface13
The Expanding Man wrote:

Mr Moto was asking about my current collection, it's here on TOS:

www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/The%20Expanding%20Man

Thanks again, great to hear some experienced and infomred views.

You've got Blood Bowl AND Necromunda? You're one awesome dude.

Adventure games are quite different from dungeon crawls as most have pointed out. As for my thoughts on games I own/have played:

Adventure Games
Prophecy: It's is pretty good. It's pretty simple, you move, fight stuff, get stuff, try to take out the big monsters guarding these artifacts. Gain 3 of the 5 and you fulfill the Prophecy (that means you're the winner). I like the flexibility of the guilds in buying skills and in movement. It doesn't have the goofy charm of Talisman or the expandability (yet).

Talisman: I've only played it twice. With two players. The 3rd edition. Online with crappy implementation. I wasn't thrilled. But the new 4th edition is out and looks shiny and tempting.

Arkham Horror: You've already got it, good work.

A Touch of Evil: Kind of like a cross between Talisman and Arkham Horror. You can play co-op, competitive or on teams. It's not mind blowing, but I like it. It's got the same goofy style artwork of Last Night on Earth if that bothers you.

Dungeon Crawls

Descent: I love it. I think it is totally awesome. It's big and it's huge. And it's in print. And it's got lots of expansions. It has tons of characters, monsters, items, weapons, traps, maps and with Road to Legend you've got a campaign going on. The weapons dice are really cool and yes, it really is more of a tactical minis game. But that's OK! Again, the main benefit is that it's in print, and there really aren't very many big dungeon crawls that can say that.

Doom: Haven't played it. But since it is basically Descent v1.0, I'm sure it's awesome. Again, also in print, but not as well-supported as Descent.

Dungeoneer: A card game version of a dungeon crawl. Avoid it, it's not that great.

In-between games
HeroCard: Orc Wars: It's kind of like a twist between an adventure/dungeon crawl but the battles are resolved like a CCG. Pretty cool.

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer The Game (US version): Pretty simple game where you run around trying to beat each other up. There's only 4 scenarios for the first 4 seasons of the show. If you like fast games it's good. If you like Buffy that makes it better.

To come
Tales of the Arabian Nights
Middle-Earth Quest
Prophecy expansions
Thrilling Tales of Adventure (maybe?)
A Song of Fire and Ice (who knows when?)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 May 2009 22:10 #30862 by ubarose
metalface13 wrote:

Adventure Games
Prophecy: It's is pretty good. It's pretty simple, you move, fight stuff, get stuff, try to take out the big monsters guarding these artifacts. Gain 3 of the 5 and you fulfill the Prophecy (that means you're the winner). I like the flexibility of the guilds in buying skills and in movement. It doesn't have the goofy charm of Talisman or the expandability (yet).

Talisman: I've only played it twice. With two players. The 3rd edition. Online with crappy implementation. I wasn't thrilled. But the new 4th edition is out and looks shiny and tempting.

Arkham Horror: You've already got it, good work.

A Touch of Evil: Kind of like a cross between Talisman and Arkham Horror. You can play co-op, competitive or on teams. It's not mind blowing, but I like it. It's got the same goofy style artwork of Last Night on Earth if that bothers you.

Some people also like Runebound, but think Return of the Heroes is the better game, even though it is a pick-up and deliver game designed for children. ;)

If fantasy adventure games don't excite you, I would say just don't buy one. You have Arkham, which is probably the best adventure game currently in print.

More
29 May 2009 22:56 #30863 by kookoobah
Descent is decent (see what I did there?) but it can get bogged down especially if people are really hardcore competitive and strive to extract every little advantage that they can get.

Be that guy who hurries everyone up, just don't be an ass about it. After 3-4 grueling hours, everyone will be glad you were pushing them. Get an hourglass if you have to.

I don't have it yet, but I'm looking at Cutthroat Caverns, it seems like an awesome dungeon crawl game, very easy to set up too.

More
30 May 2009 02:58 #30864 by Mr MOTO
metalface13 wrote:

Talisman plays much much better with more players than two, IMO. I'd say four is the sweet spot and each player less than four would be progressively less fun.

More
30 May 2009 22:54 #30886 by The Expanding Man
Mr MOTO wrote:
[/quote]

Space Crusade is another favorite in our group. It has a little more rules meat to it than HeroQuest and some boss expansions. It is OOP (like many of the games I'll mention) but if you can find it, you will have a blast.

[/quote]

Just got back from taking the wife & mother-in-law to some swop meet they wanted to go to.

I managed to pick up Space Crusade & the Dreadnaught expansion mostly unpunched. Total cost - $5. Needless to say, I am one happy gamer!!

Thanks for the recommendation - heaps of plastic & looks like fun.

More
31 May 2009 04:41 #30898 by southernman
The Expanding Man wrote:

Just got back from taking the wife & mother-in-law to some swop meet they wanted to go to.

I managed to pick up Space Crusade & the Dreadnaught expansion mostly unpunched. Total cost - $5. Needless to say, I am one happy gamer!!

Shhhhiiiiiiiiiiiit - I don't think you'd even find those in the UK. You'd better let everyone know about what part of the country you live in ... virgin swap meets fresh for the picking.

More
31 May 2009 21:10 #30934 by Mr Skeletor
The Expanding Man wrote:

WHAT THE HELL?!?!
That is the steal of the decade. I'm pretty sure mission dreadnaught goes for a few buckerroos on ebay.
The only problem with that expansion is you only get 3 missions - fucking lame! Otherwise awesome find!

More
01 Jun 2009 04:28 #30946 by Matt Thrower
The Expanding Man wrote:

I've decided to buy CC:Ancients over Battlelore. Supposedly better game play.

Before you buy, have a think about Memoir '44. I'm certainly in a minority here but in my opinion it's the best of the Commands & Colours games. The C&C system is fundamentally fast and furious and IMO C&C:A weighs it down with too many rules and too much analysis.

The Expanding Man wrote:

War of the Rings is on my radar, but isn't it predominately a 2 player?

It is. But there is a team play option for 3-4 players, and there's certainly a school of thought which says that playing with 3, with two players on the shadow side is not only more thematic but actually sorts out the minor balance issues in the game as well.

The Expanding Man wrote:

Thanks again, great to hear some experienced and infomred views.

My pleasure. It's nice to be thought of as experience and informed :)

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.160 seconds