October 09, 2023
2532 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2737 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

The new ATTACK

More
20 Jul 2009 11:28 #35589 by Michael Barnes
FRED was kind enough to send me a review copy of the new ATTACK and I thought I'd say a couple of advance things about it.

I liked the old ATTACK OK, I didn't think it was great by any means but there were some cool ideas- mainly in that it took a more simple, epic-scale game and added material like the political thing and economics. A lot of it was messy and dumb, but overall I thought it was one of Eagle's best.

The new version is really just an expansion to the base game, so you can get current just with the "deluxe" expansion. No need to rebuy the game. The revision was done by Mike Selinker, who did the A&A revised thing a few years ago.

I'm kind of excited about it, it looks like it might be really good. One thing I like a lot from the rules is that it has a kind of role selection mechanic but not such that picking a role means someone else can't. You've got this card, and you take one action each season. You put a chip down to show you've taken that particular action and can't do it again until next year. If you want to do something in Winter, you have to spend oil.

There's also simple tech trees that basically enhance actions the higher you go on them and the naval combat is much more congruous with the game system than it was. All the trade routes, sub raids and all that mess are gone, but the politics remain.

The boards are the same, so it's still GIGANTIC.

It's an interesting way to expand the game while modernizing, and with it being six years old and kind of out of the public eye it might bring back some interest in it. Full review in a couple of weeks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jul 2009 11:42 #35597 by Ska_baron
Replied by Ska_baron on topic Re: The new ATTACK
So to get in on this I'd have to buy the original base game and this NEW expansion?

More
20 Jul 2009 11:44 #35599 by Malloc
Replied by Malloc on topic Re: The new ATTACK
No you can buy the new game or if you already have the old one the expansion.

-M

More
20 Jul 2009 14:18 - 20 Jul 2009 14:18 #35633 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic Re:The new ATTACK
Can't wait for the review. I've always been kind of interested in Attack, I thought the politics sounded interesting. Also the WWII theme but open-ended nations, sides, etc.

Edit: On a similar note, has anyone played Ideology?
Last edit: 20 Jul 2009 14:18 by metalface13.

More
20 Jul 2009 15:28 #35651 by blarknob
Replied by blarknob on topic Re:The new ATTACK
Eagle games always disappoints. They present a cool doam game that might have some potential but then you read the rulebook and play the thing and it makes you want to kill yourself.

I've been burned too many times with their stuff to give anything they publish another chance.

More
20 Jul 2009 15:44 #35655 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Re:The new ATTACK
I kind of feel the same way about Eagle...I've always wanted to like their games, but there's usually some really terrible design that keeps me from really enjoying them.

But if it makes you any more confident, the new ATTACK manages to change just enough so that it's out with the garbage and what makes it unique remains. I hope.

I really like the idea of the game ending when a player is eliminated. It represents a shift of power and sort of gives a good point to stop things. The VP system makes sense, particularly since it's based on your material holdings.

IDEOLOGY...I played the original version years ago,and it seemed like there was a good game there buried somewhere. Haven't tried the new edition yet.

More
20 Jul 2009 16:38 #35673 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic Re:The new ATTACK

I really like the idea of the game ending when a player is eliminated. It represents a shift of power and sort of gives a good point to stop things. The VP system makes sense, particularly since it's based on your material holdings.

That could lead to more aggressive gameplay, see if you can take someone out while you're ahead. Kind of sucks to be the guy perceived as the weakest though.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.219 seconds