October 09, 2023
2589 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2785 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Twilight Creations

More
28 Aug 2009 12:39 #39732 by maka
Replied by maka on topic Re:Twilight Creations
After trying out Zombies! and When Darkness Comes, I don't think I'll be getting any of their stuff. Zombies got old after 1 play and WDC was a mess... I traded both games away and don't miss them at all...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Aug 2009 12:58 #39736 by Pat II
Replied by Pat II on topic Re:Twilight Creations
ubarose wrote:

Pat II wrote:

ubarose wrote:

I have Bump in the Night. It is kind of like Dungeon Twister. Not that it has the moving tiles, but it uses the same part of your brain. You are trying to position the the monsters and the state of the doors (open or shut) to create a chain reaction to force pawns off the board when they move.

Can young ones understand the mechanics? I've never played Dungeon Twister.

NO, I would NOT recommend it for young ones. It's dependent upon the development of cognitive reasoning that typically doesn't start kicking in until around the age of 10. In this case the 10+ age recommendation is legit, and I would go as far as to say that I wouldn't even recommend it to the typical 10 year old. The theme is fun, it has some AT style card play, but over all, it is a pretty heavy puzzle game. I've seen adults get pretty frustrated by it.

Thanks. I'm looking for that thematic game with cool bits for them, but something they can more or less understand with a little help.

More
28 Aug 2009 13:33 - 28 Aug 2009 13:43 #39744 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Re:Twilight Creations
Pat II wrote:

Thanks. I'm looking for that thematic game with cool bits for them, but something they can more or less understand with a little help.

How old? What kind of theme?

ETA: ALL WOUND UP is thematic, with cool bits that has been a hit with the 7-12 year old crowd round here. Lots of laughs.
Last edit: 28 Aug 2009 13:43 by ubarose.

More
28 Aug 2009 13:45 - 28 Aug 2009 13:46 #39746 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic Re:Twilight Creations
I liked Zombies!!! with the Quick(er) Play fan-made variant. The last time I played with the regular rules we literally spent about two hours after the Helipad came out trying to "run the gauntlet" of zeds leading up to it. Everyone died repeatedly and ultimately we all got frustrated and got really sick of playing. Of course NOBODY was going to quit until the game was finished even though we should have. There was even discussion at one point of COOPERATING to get someone to reach it alive, but that was decided against. We did start giving more advice to each other than we should have in a competition game though.
There was also a two-player scenario on the website where one person plays the zombie master and the other has to find and kill him. That was pretty cool and I think they should have done more scenarios for the game to keep it fresh. Still, now that LNOE exists I don't see anyone pulling this game out.
Last edit: 28 Aug 2009 13:46 by ChristopherMD.

More
28 Aug 2009 14:27 #39751 by Pat II
Replied by Pat II on topic Re:Twilight Creations
ubarose wrote:

Pat II wrote:

ETA: ALL WOUND UP is thematic, with cool bits that has been a hit with the 7-12 year old crowd round here. Lots of laughs.

4 & 7 (girls) with the 4 year old playing along with Mom or Dad until she gets the hang of it. They are crafty and love monsters, zombies, aliens, barbies, kitties etc. They see us playing our games and really wnat to try them.

All wound up looks pretty nifty and I can see them laughing histerically.

More
28 Aug 2009 20:16 - 28 Aug 2009 20:19 #39791 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Re:Twilight Creations
Pat II wrote:

ubarose wrote:

Pat II wrote:

4 & 7 (girls) with the 4 year old playing along with Mom or Dad until she gets the hang of it. They are crafty and love monsters, zombies, aliens, barbies, kitties etc. They see us playing our games and really wnat to try them.

All wound up looks pretty nifty and I can see them laughing histerically.

The youngest I ever played ALL WOUND UP with was 7. I don't know how it would work with a four year old. There is a card drafting phase which you might have to help with, or modify. Also, if you get it, play with fewer tiles to make up the board than suggested to shorten the game for younger kids.

The Hobbit is the only other game with cool bits that I can think of that is still in print. Powerpuff Girls: MoJo Jojo Attacks Townville is pretty awesome if you can find it.

TALISMAN has minis. Is that cool enough?
Last edit: 28 Aug 2009 20:19 by ubarose.

More
29 Aug 2009 09:20 #39815 by mjl1783
Replied by mjl1783 on topic Re:Twilight Creations
The first time I played Zombies!!!, we played with this variant that my dad made up that was ostensibly based on Night of the Living Dead. The only rule I can remember from it was that, before the endgame scoring, everyone had to roll a die. On a roll of 6, the cavalry mistakes you for a zombie and shoots you. You lose.

I thought it was cool.

More
29 Aug 2009 13:00 - 29 Aug 2009 13:01 #39825 by Notahandle
Replied by Notahandle on topic Re:Twilight Creations
Sorry, wrong copy and paste!
Last edit: 29 Aug 2009 13:01 by Notahandle.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.137 seconds