October 09, 2023
2589 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2785 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Stuff I'm looking at getting.

More
27 Aug 2009 21:56 - 27 Sep 2009 06:44 #39652 by Mr Skeletor
All this "What is F:AT?", "Proffessional game Journalisim", "Bad words keep people away" and "Does Steve Weeks really suck teh cock" stuff is boring the pee-pee out of me, so I decided to compile a list of "Shit I have to get" since I'm falling behind and realised that the list is long - too long! So some of it I'm going to have to toss out. Here is my List:

Galaxy Trucker:Great game that was always way overpriced. Now a store has it at a reasonable price, but I don't know if I want it anymore. Lots of people at the game clubs I go to have it so its easy enough to play if I feel like it, and I don't know if I'd ever pull it out at home. Guess the shine is wearing off.
Undecided

Space Alert: The same store has this at a pretty good price too (cheaper than the norm). Played this once and thought it had potential. Certainly unique but maybe its a shelfwarmer too? Then again you can play solo supposedly...
Probably

The 4 new WoW:TAG heroes: May go for a lunchtime stroll and see these guys are in the city games shop. It will give me a good excuse to get some exercise.
Certainly

Pegasis Expansion: I've read SFA about this, but I'm an expansion whore so I'll get it.
Certainly

Cut Throat Caverns Expansions 2 & 3: Still having fun with the base game, and don't feel the need to expand it. Yet.
Put on hold

LNOE new expansions and web exclusives: Are these out yet? I want them, and will try and do a big order to get everything for this and ATOE in one hit from the web store - but that depends on how much it's going to cost me!
Depends on the price

ATOE new expansion and web exclusives: See above.
Depends on the price

Chaos in the Old World: Looks interesting and is due out soon. Rules are online but I can't be fucked printing them out, so I'll check the initial buzz before deciding to take the plunge.
Wait and see

Middle Earth Quest: Initially I couldn't have cared less. Then I started to get excited, but now that excitement has wained. It seems like you don't get much bang for your buck - who the hell decided to mix minis AND standups? I'm over LOTR.
On the fence, probably skip

Tales of Arabian knights: I feel like I should get this because its a "Classic" adventure game, and I'm an adventure game nut, but I just can't get excited about it. Seems like it appeals to the Return of the Heroes Crowd over the Runebound crowd, and I only really want hardcore adventure games from now on.
Skip

Anima adventure games: Anima Shadow of Omega is my favourite portable adventure game, but I'm not sure if it's worth upgrading to the 2nd edition, need to do more research. I'll certainly get the new one though (beyond good and evil).
Most likely

Space Hulk:
This is the only game I scoured Ebay for. The only classic I never owned and really wanted Fuck the price, I pre-ordered it having no idea what it will cost me. Yeah some of the models are a bit over the top, but fuck I never thought I'd see this reprinted!
Ordered already

Heroscape Pieces: I need about 5 or 6 "pieces" (including that marror master set) to finish off my heroscape collection.
Eventually
Last edit: 27 Sep 2009 06:44 by Mr Skeletor.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Aug 2009 22:02 #39656 by Mr MOTO
Mr Skeletor wrote:

Chaos in the Old World: Looks interesting and is due out soon. Rules are online but I can't be fucked printing them out, so I'll check the initial buzz before deciding to take the plunge.
Wait and see

CitOW is very much a dry area control game IMO Skel. If that is what you are looking for, then cool, but if you are looking for something a bit more exciting than that you may want to pass.

More
27 Aug 2009 22:06 #39658 by Mr Skeletor
Mr MOTO wrote:

Mr Skeletor wrote:

Wait and see

CitOW is very much a dry area control game IMO Skel. If that is what you are looking for, then cool, but if you are looking for something a bit more exciting than that you may want to pass.

Did you play it at a Con?
I like Area control games like El Grande, does it compare to that?
Someone described it along the lines of "The basic gameplay is simple, but then the different races(?) throw in all of these different exceptions which altar the rules". I like games like that. Does that sound accurate to you?

More
27 Aug 2009 22:13 #39659 by OldHippy
Definitely get Galaxy Trucker w/ the expansion. The game gets too easy if you play it enough but the expansion gets rid of that problem for good. It's one of the best expansion I've ever seen it really lets you modify your game in a ton of ways and it makes you feel like your ship could take a shit kicking at any time regardless of how well you think you've built it.

Space Alert I really want to try and since I hate gaming at the store so much I'm tempted to just buy the damned thing.

I'm curious about MEQ but I really, really don't care for LOTR so I'll probably pass.

The second Cutthroat Caverns expansion is awesome and really adds some fun stuff to the game, the events and relics are awesome. 1 I don't care for, pretty much just player powers (which we printed out) and 3 has the module. That's not what I want form CC so I'm sticking with just 2 which adds all the re-playability I think I'll ever need from this game.

I'm getting the ATOE expansion for sure. That game gets more and more fun each time I play it, especially competitively.

Tales of Arabian Knights sounds really uninteresting to me.

My buddy is picking up Pegasus this week so I'm anxious to try that sucker out.

Personally I'm really excited about CGE's Dungeonlords and Nexus's Eagle and the Lion. But I think that's a long time coming. The Ravenloft boardgame looks really cool too.

More
27 Aug 2009 22:41 #39661 by dysjunct
CITOW looks a little blah to me.

Pegasus and MEQ are preordered.

Space Hulk I preordered and am getting girlishly excited about.

Space Alert I had for a while and then sold. It just didn't do it for me, probably because there's a decent learning curve and one new person can easily cause the mission to tank. However this is because I kept playing with a different mix of people; if you have a consistent group to play it with, it'd be better.

TOTAN is freaking awesome. It's not a hardcore adventure game at all, but every single time I play it's just laughing and hilarity. Can't beat that.

Anima: Shadow of Omega I thought was like Munchkin, but not funny and with too many androgynous ladyboy heroes.

More
27 Aug 2009 23:21 #39663 by Merkles
I do NOT like Return of the Heroes...but I've loved playing Tales of Arabian Nights. Why? The pick-up and deliver of ROTH bores me and I'm left thinking..what the #*#*.

Tales, though, while not strategic in anyway---has more that makes each turn and event part of the adventure. Can't explain it--but there it is.

More
28 Aug 2009 00:58 #39678 by Mr MOTO
Mr Skeletor wrote:

Did you play it at a Con?
I like Area control games like El Grande, does it compare to that?
Someone described it along the lines of "The basic gameplay is simple, but then the different races(?) throw in all of these different exceptions which altar the rules". I like games like that. Does that sound accurate to you?

fortressat.com/index.php?option=com_kune...ew&catid=10&id=37581

The different races really didn't feel all that different to me just dry and dull. To me it had all the checklist items down but the whole didn't live up to the sum of its parts. I took the picture in that thread of another game before I played a game. It was a game that I was really looking forward to buying before I played it, but now that I have played it I have no interest in buying it.

YMMV.

More
28 Aug 2009 04:37 #39684 by sydo
Looking forward to:
Ad Astra
Republic of Rome reprint
Here I Stand - ordered from some retail shop
Railroad Tycoon
MEQ - still on the fence

More
28 Aug 2009 09:32 #39698 by Notahandle
Factory Fun is better than Galaxy Trucker for a puzzle game.

LNOE expansions are expensive but so far every one has added something worthwhile. I've emailed them about the chances of being able to order all the new stuff at once and they said it'd be possible. That probably means a large print run for everything with no chance of something selling out fast.

More
28 Aug 2009 09:36 #39700 by ChristopherMD
Galaxy Trucker: - I ended up not liking this game nearly as much as I thought I would. I will say get the expansion if you plan on playing it more than once because the base game is kind of weak.

Space Alert: - I'd like to play this, but I don't think it would get replayed often enough for me to buy it.

Pegasis Expansion: - I didn't like the show all that much so have no interest in owning the game, but I will play someone else's copy.

Cut Throat Caverns Expansions 2 & 3: - I'm probably going to pick up the base game and one expansion soon. I'll have to do some more research to figure out which expansion though. Unless the consensus here agrees with JonJacob that the 2nd is the best.

LNOE new expansions and web exclusives: - I have Growing Hunger, Stock Up, and Revenge. I'm not interested in the new expansions, except possibly the characters. Even then I don't feel my copy gets played enough to warrant spending more money on it.

Middle Earth Quest: - I'm skipping this one. I'm happy with two-player Runebound for my adventure game fix. If I want to play something LotR I have War Of The Ring.

Tales of Arabian knights: - Another one I'm probably skipping, although I may change my mind in a year or two.

Anima adventure games: - I've looked at these before, but feel I'd have to play them before buying.

Space Hulk: - Honestly this is the first game in years that I've been really excited about. I read every article on the GW site and I may try to track down a copy of the new White Dwarf for the preview even though the game will be out soon.

More
28 Aug 2009 09:40 - 28 Aug 2009 09:43 #39702 by Sagrilarus
I asked Bruno if Ad Astra will have any bug-eyed monsters in it and he said no. That was a letdown.

I preordered Space Hulk as well and am giving it as a gift to a dear friend that is an antiques dealer. He'll know what to do with it if he doesn't want to keep it and likely turn a healthy profit. I don't consider games investments, but I do appreciate that some carry less risk than others due to their potential value for resale. I wouldn't be surprised to see good copies of this selling at face value a year after it's out of print, assuming it goes out of print.

As his only friend that likes this kind of thing, I'm in a win-win situation by giving it to him.

I'll be curious to hear what the price on Space Hulk will be in Oz. That's a long way away and apparently the box is quite the brick.

Sag.
Last edit: 28 Aug 2009 09:43 by Sagrilarus.

More
28 Aug 2009 10:55 #39717 by Brewmiester
Galaxy Trucker: Picked it up a few months back, one play with the local gaming group (LGG) that everyone seemed to enjoy. Haven't got the expansion set yet.

Space Alert: Picked up by another member of the LGG, played at last get together and everyone seemed to enjoy it also.

Pegasus Expansion: Planning on picking it up since the base game is so much fun.

Cut Throat Caverns Expansions 2 & 3: FLGS had them on sale and it was double customer appreciation point month so I picked them up but no chance to try yet.

LNOE new expansions and web exclusives: Hadn't heard of this, maybe in a month or two.

Chaos in the Old World: Probably not.

Middle Earth Quest: Probably not

Tales of Arabian knights: Got it no chance to play yet but will probably hit the table at the next opportunity. Still need to get the miniatures painted up though.

Anima adventure games: Probably not

Space Hulk: Pre ordered, been reading the White Dwarf preview. Planning on painting the stealers first and using my old Dark Angel termies but looking forward to painting the new Blood Angels.

More
28 Aug 2009 12:41 - 28 Aug 2009 12:45 #39734 by Almalik
The Definites:

Spacehulk: Pre-ordered! One more week!

Arkham Horror: Innsmouth Last expansion I need. Its a definite, but it might wait until October or so.

Deadlands: Slaughter Gulch Pre-ordered. I'm a sucker for anything Deadlands/Doomtown. A bit worried because its from Twilight Creations, but hopefully it won't suck.

Descent Quest Compendium Isn't this supposed to be out already?

The Maybes:

Middle Earth Quest It was listed for a really good pre-order price on Amazon.ca, so I broke down and ordered it. We'll see if it actually turns up or not (not too worried one way or the other). They came through with CE, but not with The Game of Thrones LCG or Black Goat in the Woods.

Chaos in the Old World A bit iffy, leaning towards not at this point.

Ad Astra I like a lot of Bruno's designs so may be tempted by this one.

The Nopes:

LNOE Expansions For whatever reason LNOE just hasn't seemed to work with my group, so probably not.

Warhammer Invasion I'll stick with Warhammer Warcry for my Warhammer card fix.

Pegasus Expansion
Haven't played BSG for a while, unless this has some really incredible adds, I'll give it a miss.

Cutthroat Caverns Expansions
Got the base game and the first expansion when they game out a couple years ago, don't really see anything in the newer expansions that I need to have.

Galaxy Trucker
I can't really see the appeal of this one.

The Already Gots:

Arabian Nights What an awesome game! Totally works with non-gamer friends who enjoy the story telling.

Space Alert
Fun game that I need to get to the table more so we can get to the tougher missions.
Last edit: 28 Aug 2009 12:45 by Almalik.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.199 seconds