October 09, 2023
2599 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2797 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Arkham Mini's...

More
15 Oct 2009 12:11 #44794 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Re:Arkham Mini's...
This is just good business. Good job FFG.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Oct 2009 13:01 #44802 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic Re:Arkham Mini's...
kookoobah wrote:

Wow, this was fast. Seems like FFG really does listen to their fans.

www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=854

Hmm. How about we all ask for free games on Christmas? Maybe that'll work too?

It does say that they're still looking into other ways to do this. I'm curious to see what they come up with. But cancelling it was the right choice for now.

More
15 Oct 2009 13:23 #44804 by flim_flam
Replied by flim_flam on topic Re:Arkham Mini's...
Really, really interesting to see how this played out. In what other industry is the market research done AFTER annoucement of a product launch, but BEFORE they actually produced the product? An honest question because I don't know. Does this kind of strategy result in more iffy ideas being put forward by game companies (or FFG specifically) and then ultimately canceled if the target audience raises enough fuss? I really just found this whole thing rather curious.

More
15 Oct 2009 13:27 - 15 Oct 2009 13:28 #44805 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re:Arkham Mini's...
Send them comments and notes to this effect . A very wise choice. now we'll all have extra money to give them for RUNEWARS.
Last edit: 15 Oct 2009 13:28 by jeb.

More
15 Oct 2009 13:29 #44806 by Dr. Mabuse
Replied by Dr. Mabuse on topic Re:Arkham Mini's...
kookoobah wrote:

Wow, this was fast. Seems like FFG really does listen to their fans.

Hmm. How about we all ask for free games on Christmas? Maybe that'll work too?

Could someone post the actual news item either here or in the news section. The link is blocked at work.

Thanks.

More
15 Oct 2009 13:29 #44807 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic Re:Arkham Mini's...
Well, it's probably a really good call on FFG's part. I would have to assume some miniatures were already in production right? I guess they'd rather eat that cost than produce a ton and sell none.

I still don't think AH needs miniatures, the stands do a decent job. I like it when FFG sticks to games rather than game accessories. Well, unless they really change the game. I'd love a Descent storage locker.

More
15 Oct 2009 13:30 #44808 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic Re:Arkham Mini's...

We have listened to your concerns and considered your valuable feedback regarding our announcement of the Arkham Horror Investigator Miniatures. Having weighed the desires of our fans and considered our manufacturing options, Fantasy Flight Games has opted to hereby cancel the release of this product.

"It was very clear from the vocal feedback that we received that the majority of our players were strongly unfavorable towards the price-point and packaging that we had planned for these figures," stated Christian T. Petersen, CEO of FFG. "Unfortunately, as it's not remotely feasible for FFG to produce quality painted figures in the assortments and at the price-point range suggested from our customer feedback, we've decided to cancel this product. For obvious reasons, we have no interest in creating product that does not match our customers’ expectations, nor of pushing product into the retail channel that will not be successful for our professional partners. We apologize to the customers who were excited about the announced figures, and will continue to investigate avenues in the future to make the reality of painted miniatures for Arkham Horror a reality."

As always, we at Fantasy Flight Games would like to thank our loyal fans for their continued feedback and support.

Arkham Horror is a boardgame of mystery and madness set in Arkham in the 1920's. Players investigate the strange happenings about the town, and race to prevent ancient evil from surfacing. Playable with 1-8 players.

More
15 Oct 2009 13:48 #44817 by Almalik
Replied by Almalik on topic Re:Arkham Mini's...
Smart move on their part. I am guessing the fans that were interested in the figures would be happier not having them, rather than collecting the first wave and then never getting the rest of the figures if the line bombed.

More
15 Oct 2009 16:46 #44839 by Dr. Mabuse
Replied by Dr. Mabuse on topic Re:Arkham Mini's...
Thanks Metalface!

Smart move on their part. I am guessing the fans that were interested in the figures would be happier not having them, rather than collecting the first wave and then never getting the rest of the figures if the line bombed.

I couldn't agree more.

More
16 Oct 2009 15:16 #44906 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Re:Arkham Mini's...
I dropped out of this thread a while back but we were talking about this last night at Swamp Castle and Aaron told me they had cancelled them. Bravo, FFG. Nice save.

It is good business to respond to feedback like this, and I think they've done that in the past (the MUTANT CHRONICLES fiasco for example). That being said, I'm not sure I'm really down with the idea of announcing a product, seeing how people react, and then pulling it. They should have done a little more homework ahead of time...on one hand, they've got the good will of "hey, they listened to us!" but on the other I think it erodes their authority. It sounds kind of goofy, but they should know what we want to buy. Asking focus groups, reaching out to the player base...there's a number of ways that they could have ascertained that this wasn't going to fly ahead of actually moving forward with an official product announcement.

But either way, I'm glad to see that it's off the books. Perhaps they'll reconsider and come up with a better distribution model for them.

More
16 Oct 2009 15:56 #44907 by Space Ghost
Replied by Space Ghost on topic Re:Arkham Mini's...
I think there is something in the middle here. I imagine they did do focus group among hardcore AH players. A lot of people are ok with $13/month for something like this. I know that Skeletor and I both have a similar subscription for the MotU collectible figures.

What they missed was probably a representative sample of all the people who were going to complain: (a) about the time, and (b) about the cost. Most likely they would have profited from it, but there were so much vocal outrage from the "me too" crowd that they to drop it as not to piss off too many people.

More
16 Oct 2009 16:10 #44910 by Ken B.
Replied by Ken B. on topic Re:Arkham Mini's...
They look awesome, but too rich for my blood.

More
16 Oct 2009 16:29 #44911 by shryke
Replied by shryke on topic Re:Arkham Mini's...
Yeah, I more got the feeling that they couldn't deliver the quality of miniatures they wanted at a price point that would allow enough people to buy it to make it affordable.

More
19 Oct 2009 21:34 - 19 Oct 2009 21:35 #45107 by Hatchling
Replied by Hatchling on topic Re:Arkham Mini's...
Looks like FFG cancelled the plan for minis...

We have listened to your concerns and considered your valuable feedback regarding our announcement of the Arkham Horror Investigator Miniatures. Having weighed the desires of our fans and considered our manufacturing options, Fantasy Flight Games has opted to hereby cancel the release of this product.

It was very clear from the vocal feedback that we received that the majority of our players were strongly unfavorable towards the price-point and packaging that we had planned for these figures," stated Christian T. Petersen, CEO of FFG. "Unfortunately, as it's not remotely feasible for FFG to produce quality painted figures in the assortments and at the price-point range suggested from our customer feedback, we've decided to cancel this product. For obvious reasons, we have no interest in creating product that does not match our customers’ expectations, nor of pushing product into the retail channel that will not be successful for our professional partners. We apologize to the customers who were excited about the announced figures, and will continue to investigate avenues in the future to make the reality of painted miniatures for Arkham Horror a reality."

As always, we at Fantasy Flight Games would like to thank our loyal fans for their continued feedback and support.

Arkham Horror is a boardgame of mystery and madness set in Arkham in the 1920's. Players investigate the strange happenings about the town, and race to prevent ancient evil from surfacing. Playable with 1-8 players.

Last edit: 19 Oct 2009 21:35 by Hatchling.

More
20 Oct 2009 02:35 #45109 by jur
Replied by jur on topic Re:Arkham Mini's...
sensible move:

1. "We listen to our customers"
2. "We didn't try to rip you off" If they'd just lowered the price (either of the proposed packaging or larger box for lower per unit price), everybody would have thought that the margins were outrageous in the first place. Cut the product and you make it seem like this was the lowest price you could have charged.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.168 seconds