October 09, 2023
2601 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2800 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Packing up Arkham Horror forever -- replace with?

More
22 Oct 2009 00:16 #45205 by kookoobah
After playing yet another fiddly brain burning game of Arkham Horror, I've decided to pack it up forever and trade it out/sell it.

If I live for 50 years more and never have to move a million monsters after a monster surge ever again, it will be too fucking soon. (Oh, and don't forget that monsters with the star symbol don't move because the Starry Starry Night environment card is in play, and monsters with the moon symbol move white white black because of the Dancing in the Moonlight rumor)

I'm looking for something to fill the hole, and because it'll leave a large hole I'm thinking I might need a bunch of games.

I already have Tales of the Arabian Nights coming, so I think that'll be good. For the whole adventure thing, should I go with Runebound (map looks boring and dear lord there are 50 expansions), Talisman (maybe roll and move will be better since fiddly = baaaad) Middle Earth Quest (this is very high on the want list because it looks like Arkham Horror, it has a huge board, and the combat looks fun) or something else?

Oh, and please don't take away my F:AT membership card!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Oct 2009 00:31 #45206 by Space Ghost
Tales is definitely nice. MEQ is kind of being overlooked in the Space Hulk, Chaos of the Old World orgy -- the combat system is great; however, the end-game is kind of a let down.

More
22 Oct 2009 00:33 #45207 by Hatchling
Maybe you should treat yourself and 2-3 your best gaming friends to a copy of Titan.

Or Mare Nostrum + Mythology expansion (both probably not too hard to track down).

More
22 Oct 2009 00:38 #45208 by dragonstout
I think Tales of the Arabian Nights scratches the tells-a-great-story-but-not-as-fiddly-as-Arkham-Horror itch the best. That's the closest thing to Arkham on your list, though I haven't played Middle Earth Quest.

More
22 Oct 2009 01:17 #45210 by Shellhead
I've heard of at least two games that are often described as Arkham Lite: A Touch of Evil and Der Hexer von Salem. Unfortunately, they seem to both be incredibly light compared to Arkham, to the detriment of repeat play value. But I'm probably the wrong guy to answer this question, since I consider Arkham Horror to be one of the finest games that I've ever played. I do sympathize with the fiddly part, because the Kingsport rifts somehow crossed the line with me, making the game just a little too much hassle during the Mythos phase.

Actually, one other possibility might be the original Arkham Horror, which I played at least 100 times back in the day, judging by the several sheets of final score listings in my box. Again, it lacks the vast replay value of the modern Arkham Horror, but it is considerably less complex.

More
22 Oct 2009 02:01 #45211 by Mr Skeletor
Why did I give up admining this site? At the moment I would love nothing better than to BAN YOUR ASS FROM HERE FOREVER!
Fucking hell, what is has this place comming too? I'm waiting for one of you assholes to start a "Dominion: Play by email" thread.

More
22 Oct 2009 02:43 #45213 by kookoobah
Mr Skeletor wrote:

Why did I give up admining this site? At the moment I would love nothing better than to BAN YOUR ASS FROM HERE FOREVER!
Fucking hell, what is has this place comming too? I'm waiting for one of you assholes to start a "Dominion: Play by email" thread.

That actually sounds like a good idea!

But first, does anybody want to play Puerto Rico with me? www.phial.com/puerto-rico/

Or maybe Agricola? banach.ucsd.edu/Agricola/Board1/Agricola.html

ALSO: Did you see that part where I said Runebound looked boring? :p

Hahaha.

More
22 Oct 2009 03:25 #45215 by DeletedUser
Mr Skeletor wrote:

AND he said that Heroscape was for cavemen....mutter...mutter...must be on drugs...grumble...grumble......

I did enjoy playing Dominion on the weekend though. Great game!

More
22 Oct 2009 04:36 #45218 by Matt Thrower
Shellhead wrote:

I've heard of at least two games that are often described as Arkham Lite: A Touch of Evil and Der Hexer von Salem.

I played my first couple of games of Witch of Salem last night. Only a couple mind so take this with a pinch of salt but on balance I thought it was pretty good, especially considering it's obviously a Euro and a co-op to boot. AH lite it's not - the whole concept of "AH lite" is just idiotic - I'd say it has more in common with Ghost Stories. But the theme just about hangs together in spite of a couple of wierd Euro-esque touches and the mechanics mesh in surprising ways to deliver more variety than was immediately apparent from the limited collection of cards and counters in the game. There may be a problem with long-term replay-ability but obviously I need some more plays to work that out.

Anyway my copy is a review copy so you'll be getting the full low-down after some more plays. But this seemed a good place to drop some initial impressions.

More
22 Oct 2009 09:18 #45221 by clockwirk
kookoobah wrote:

For the whole adventure thing, should I go with Runebound (map looks boring and dear lord there are 50 expansions),

I don't get it. You think the base game looks boring, but are turned off by the expansions which add variety?

Instead of just junking the whole AH game, why don't you just separate out all the expansions you're using (I assume you're using some, if you're becoming overwhelmed by complexity) and just play the base game for a while? Or base plus a small expansion?

More
22 Oct 2009 09:23 #45222 by kookoobah
clockwirk wrote:

kookoobah wrote:

For the whole adventure thing, should I go with Runebound (map looks boring and dear lord there are 50 expansions),

I don't get it. You think the base game looks boring, but are turned off by the expansions which add variety?

Instead of just junking the whole AH game, why don't you just separate out all the expansions you're using (I assume you're using some, if you're becoming overwhelmed by complexity) and just play the base game for a while? Or base plus a small expansion?

Yeah. I think I might do that. I remember actually enjoying it back when I was just playing the base game, and then started hating it when I got all the expansions mixed in.

When I said boring, I was talking about the map visuals, it looked boring, like a generic map or something.

More
22 Oct 2009 09:42 #45223 by jeb
You might be best off trading/selling the AH expansions. I don't know if anything out there fills this niche well. Maybe THRILLING TALES OF ADVENTURE will if that ever sees the light of day.

If I was losing AH because of the brain burning aspect, I'd probably replace with WAR OF THE RING or something like that where you can still get a big beefy game experience without as much upkeep. You could get a French DUNE for $50 or so. Maybe track down RISK: STAR WARS games?

More
22 Oct 2009 09:55 #45225 by kookoobah
jeb wrote:

You could get a French DUNE for $50 or so.

Off topic for a bit. Is a French Dune worth it? What parts are French?

More
22 Oct 2009 10:03 #45226 by Matt Thrower
kookoobah wrote:

Off topic for a bit. Is a French Dune worth it? What parts are French?

The game. D'oh!

More
22 Oct 2009 10:11 #45227 by NeonPeon
Maybe Monster Quest would be more up your alley...

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.168 seconds